Sign in to follow this  
Lucan

Oil Feed Info

This is a pretty general question but anyone got any links or decent info on turbo oil feeds, mainly restrictor sizes etc? Or a number of someone I could have a chat to?

Finished my exams for the semester so back into it

Feed fittings are the only plumbing I haven't sorted yet...

This is a pretty general question but anyone got any links or decent info on turbo oil feeds, mainly restrictor sizes etc? Or a number of someone I could have a chat to?

Finished my exams for the semester so back into it

Feed fittings are the only plumbing I haven't sorted yet...

If you provide details (ie, what turbo), and "crunchy" (Steve Murch) sees the thread you will get more expertise than you could ever need.

If you provide details (ie, what turbo), and "crunchy" (Steve Murch) sees the thread you will get more expertise than you could ever need.

^ what he said, Steve said a 2mm restrictor at both ends of -3an feed hose suits my t4ob. Depends if you have ball bearing or journal.

If that is the case what is suggested for a dirty old 8 blade Holset H1c

edit: decided to not be lazy. What i've learnt from my google searching so far.

The oil restrictor is there to give the turbo the correct oil pressure. Different engines have different oil pressures so the same turbo and restrictor isn't suitable for all vehicles

Ball bearing turbos don't need as much oil pressure

Journal bearings need some oil pressure just like main bearings on a crank

Too much oil pressure destroys seals.

Unfiltered oil feed lines like to clog restrictors and kill turbos

I haven't yet been able to find any specifics on how much pressure you'd want a turbo to be seeing

Edited by Thorburn

If that is the case what is suggested for a dirty old 8 blade Holset H1c

I'm just running a -4 line, no restrictor on a hx35.

No problems with burning oil or leaking any into the comp housing. I run a -12 drain to the timing cover.

^ what he said, Steve said a 2mm restrictor at both ends of -3an feed hose suits my t4ob. Depends if you have ball bearing or journal.

+1 for andrews post

could add more but im not going to compete with keyboard jockeys but for the record you cant reduce pressure to turbo you reduce volume and seals dont blow any issues in that department is the end result of other things going wrong, and its lunch time :)

+1 for andrews post

could add more but im not going to compete with keyboard jockeys but for the record you cant reduce pressure to turbo you reduce volume and seals dont blow any issues in that department is the end result of other things going wrong, and its lunch time :)

Btw steve I'm moving atm and just found 3 of your magazines you lent me a long time ago. If you wanna pm me your address I'll post em back to you.

Btw steve I'm moving atm and just found 3 of your magazines you lent me a long time ago. If you wanna pm me your address I'll post em back to you.

what mags are they?

what mags are they?

YoungTimer, Daz Prestige, Autotuning. All german mags.

YoungTimer, Daz Prestige, Autotuning. All german mags.

really? you sure their from me cant remember buying them

really? you sure their from me cant remember buying them

Pretty sure they are, maybe I'm losing my mind, which is quite possible... I'll take a picture of em, may jog your memory?