Sign in to follow this  
craig330

Removing Hard Water Stains on window glass

any tips out there on what to use to remove hard water stains -suggestions range from white vinegar, 000 steel wool, etc.

Hi,

I would recommend Meguiar's scratch x it is designed for removing scratches from paint but I have had very good results using it on glass leaving the glass very polished and smooth and the water will beads up and blows off when it rains.

Use a soft damp cloth and expect to be there a while. dont go anywhere near it with scotch brite,steel wool, or any heavy duty cutting compound

Dave.

Edited by 87M3@NZ

Hi,

I would recommend Meguiar's scratch x it is designed for removing scratches from paint but I have had very good results using it on glass leaving the glass very polished and smooth and the water will beads up and blows off when it rains.

Use a soft damp cloth and expect to be there a while. dont go anywhere near it with scotch brite,steel wool, or any heavy duty cutting compound

Dave.

thanks Dave - will give it a go

Have also heard of toothpaste and ye ol' half tatas being used.

Funny because that Glass Science sh*t smells and feels like toothpaste! :lol:

have tried both McGuiars Scratch X and Glass Science Scrub -apart from cleaning surface grime didn't get rid of water stains,must be etched into glass - any one any thoughts from here

If its etched it will need to be professionally polished, Novus have a guy who can do it.

If its etched it will need to be professionally polished, Novus have a guy who can do it.

Looks like it - will post outcome

There's a BMW branded glass polish that worked well for me in the past. Special order from any BMW dealerships, around $30.

Part number 83 12 0 009 881

Ask for it by the part number, as Team McMillan and Jerry Clayton's parts people had no idea when I ask them for "Glass Polish".

There's a BMW branded glass polish that worked well for me in the past. Special order from any BMW dealerships, around $30.

Part number 83 12 0 009 881

Ask for it by the part number, as Team McMillan and Jerry Clayton's parts people had no idea when I ask them for "Glass Polish".

it appears the stains are pretty well etched and haven't shifted with the other brands, but will look into the BM polish as well -

There is guy in the Fire Service in Te Awamutu who has the right gear, he did 3 vehicles for me, I no longer have his number but ask HOTWIRE (Grant) he will know who I mean

Paul - E36

it appears the stains are pretty well etched and haven't shifted with the other brands, but will look into the BM polish as well -

There is guy in the Fire Service in Te Awamutu who has the right gear, he did 3 vehicles for me, I no longer have his number but ask HOTWIRE (Grant) he will know who I mean

Paul - E36

thanks Paul - will give it a go