Sign in to follow this  
alijanjan

e46 ac blower (not the usual final stage problem)

AC blower on my new e46 isn't as powerful as my old e46, even when put on max fan speed still not much air coming out of the vents even on maximum still not enough to be useful,

The fan does works as normal and makes all the right noises, its like the air is somehow escaping

The final stage resistor is new and the fan seems to be running at max speed anyway ( and at constant speed)

I tried all the stepping motors (5) and all seem to be working( all I did was checking to make sure they response to changes made on the climate control unit) unless they need to be calibrated some how

My old e46 used to blow much more air ( while producing same noise)

Any one had Sam problem? Everyone only talks about final stage resistor

Hi Brent

have checked them, almost brand new

ok m check the FSR is pushed in properly and not leaking air out

ok m check the FSR is pushed in properly and not leaking air out

Just checked it, no leak

Has the flap linkage been refitted correctly on the servo motor next to the FSR and has the servo motor been plugged back in ??

Has the flap linkage been refitted correctly on the servo motor next to the FSR and has the servo motor been plugged back in ??

Hi Glenn

Just double checked, all seems ok

Hi Guys

I know its been 4 years but just in case someone else have the same issue. I have found the problem and fixed the issue, it is so strong that it can now blow you away, have to make sure sit belts are on before starting the AC :-) 

after so many times of pulling the blower motor out  thinking may be the evaporator is blocked/dirty or something similar i thought i replace the blower motor just in case. I started looking online for a new motor when I realized the cable on my motor comes out from the wrong direction compared to a DIY i was watching on youtube

after checking and taking in out again, it turned out the motor was put it the wrong way meaning it would turn the wrong way and blow up instead of blowing down through the evaporator. took it out, turned it 180 degree and put back together and now it works great.   

very strange but someone must have put it in the wrong way at some stage. the strange part is that from the history i got when i bought the car, it seem to always been serviced by BMW until i bought it. also there was nothing in the service history of anything done on the AC system

Maybebe this can help someone with the same issue

cheers

Edited by alijanjan
  • Like 1