Sign in to follow this  
toby7

E30 Towbar Fitting

Hi,

I've a 1987 nz new BMW E30 318i and I want to fit a towbar i've recently purchased.

The towbar is marked pfl so this is the correct one for my chrome bumper model 2 door 318i

Question - If my car did not originally have a towbar fitted do i have to drill and cut below the bumper to fit this towbar.

It looks like a square hole needs to be cut each side so the towbar 'rails' slide into the chassis rails of the car.

I'm only wanting to tow my 10ft dingy so not too much weight for this vehicle.

Anyone have any diagrams or instructions, photos etc

Thanks in advance

Regards

Peter

havent fitted on a prefacelift, but on a facelift for a genuine towbar, you have to remove the factory bumper shocks and replace with the towbar mounting arms, and the rail sits behind the bumper.

Would anyone have a scan or shot of rear bumper removal instructions on a pre face lift bmw e30 ?

Maybe from a haynes manual ??

Thanks

On a PFL the genuine BMW towbar simply bolts up in place of the bumper mounts, and the bumper then mounts to it. If the towbar has "rails" as you say then it is not a BMW original part, so how it fits is up to the manufacturer of your towbar, anybodys guess haha.

On a PFL the genuine BMW towbar simply bolts up in place of the bumper mounts, and the bumper then mounts to it. If the towbar has "rails" as you say then it is not a BMW original part, so how it fits is up to the manufacturer of your towbar, anybodys guess haha.

Yea my towbar bolted straight on. Huffer did you have to drill and/or do you have four bolts each side? I have four holes on the towbar each side but only two holes in the chassis to bolt to (I decided I didn't need to drill only towing very light trailers).

Yea my towbar bolted straight on. Huffer did you have to drill and/or do you have four bolts each side? I have four holes on the towbar each side but only two holes in the chassis to bolt to (I decided I didn't need to drill only towing very light trailers).

Mine had two each side, and only came with two bolts so whoever I bought it from had obviously only ever used two as well. Figured with the hefty re-enforcement plate that came with it, it'd be no worries. Never had any issues with it yet, but I've only used it for trailers maybe 3 times. Mostly used for a bike rack.