Sign in to follow this  
No name user

E36 M42 TURBO, NOT A MYTH

For those who maybe interested and those who are not feel free to pass on by.

This is my workshop hack 91 m42b18 its now done 4500km on a fresh engine and it gets a hard time this is to prove the skeptics wrong ( why i bother is another question ) anyway the motor runs mitsi JE pistons "H" beam rods, stock crank, cap screwed mains, cap screw head bolts, modified oil pump and pickup and sump, stock head and cams, STOCK HEAD GASKET !!!, modified stock intake manifold, m50 throttle body, heads made by myself, 38mm tial gate, KKK26/27 turbo rated to 400kw, stock injectors, extra x2 360cc injectors, upgraded fuel pump, front mount cooler, 2 1/2" piping, 8" intake, MAPECU3 piggy back computer, runs a low 10psi.

Uses stock DME controlled by the mapecu which also maps the extra injectors the stock lucas 240cc injectors allow it to run 5psi, the mapecu also controls the ignition, i tuned the car and it was road tuned using the data logger the mapecu has plus a dyno spec a/f meter and knock senor.

It took around 2 hrs to tune on 91 and no theres no need to break the speed limit if you know what your doing and find lots of nice hills :)

End result, it uses the stock back half exhaust so is nice and quiet, very smooth and has better economy than the stock motor did without a turbo and no detonation...until you put your leg up it as for how that goes?

If sam from HELLBM happens to read this ill let him tell what he thinks but a m3 would have issue keeping up, it has tons left in it and 25plus psi isnt an issue but ill save that for my e34 turbo this is after all the workshop hack.

post-793-1354247466.jpg

very nice.

What clutch setup are you using?

opps forgot that its an billet flywheel with a m30 535 pressure plate and clutch plate it just holds at the topend i have a OSGIKEN single plate to put in when i get time

Well I like it :D

why thankyou kind sir :)

im not expecting many replies cause for the most many don't understand nor want to " white man's black magic" lol

Edited by crunchy
  • Like 1

havent seen front mounted turbo like that! engine bay looks good!

looks cool ,I like your workman ship.

from how low in the revs does it start pull strong

Seen in real life is certainly testiomny to your skills Steve. Love your methodology even though I don`t understand 1/2 of it.

Lets here from the doubters now...

looks cool ,I like your workman ship.

from how low in the revs does it start pull strong

cheers brent :)

it pulls well below 3k and even without boost its very torquey as such its surprising how well it goes even off boost up to "0" atmo full boost is around 3300 depending on where you stand on it in forth or running through the gears which then it comes on sooner, i have to say its just a real fun car to drive it drops its butt and just goes

havent seen front mounted turbo like that! engine bay looks good!

i dont know why so many try to jam it down low or down the back with all the room up front its easy for both the headers and exhaust outlet you also reduce engine bay temps as theres tons of air flow over it sitting up front

Seen in real life is certainly testiomny to your skills Steve. Love your methodology even though I don`t understand 1/2 of it.

Lets here from the doubters now...

i think Sam enjoyed the ride glad your in an industrial area :)

Sweet!

It's funny how interchangeable parts are, when you have the right tools! My mate is an engine reconditioner and is always making weird parts fit things (like holden pistons in a VW etc).

The turbo fits way easier than in a 6 cylinder engine bay, too.

I have a soft spot for a good turbo car, maybe not a BMW, but certainly like the flexibility. I had a Suzuki Cappuccino that was awesome, because the tiny little turbo would spool up in a split second to 12 PSI and the thing would take off, although because it was so small, it was out of breath by 8000 rpm, even though it still had another 1500 or so to go.

anyway, more piccies!

Sweet!

It's funny how interchangeable parts are, when you have the right tools! My mate is an engine reconditioner and is always making weird parts fit things (like holden pistons in a VW etc).

The turbo fits way easier than in a 6 cylinder engine bay, too.

I have a soft spot for a good turbo car, maybe not a BMW, but certainly like the flexibility. I had a Suzuki Cappuccino that was awesome, because the tiny little turbo would spool up in a split second to 12 PSI and the thing would take off, although because it was so small, it was out of breath by 8000 rpm, even though it still had another 1500 or so to go.

anyway, more piccies!

ive tricked afew turbos for the cappuccino good fun cars, ill post a pic of my car when theres better light its not a show room pretty thing

certainly did enjoy the ride today steve, good thing it stopped as well as it go's and only being on 10psi and 91 gas puts a grin on my face thinking about the potential, not that its needed of course. learnt a few things when ya gave me the rundown. cant wait to see the e34 in action now =D if only you could give everyone a ride.... wouldnt cost much gas haha

ive tricked afew turbos for the cappuccino good fun cars, ill post a pic of my car when theres better light its not a show room pretty thing

You probably did the yellow one that went to Bonneville B)

Doesn't need to be pretty, but it sounds like fun B) Maybe you should make some youtube videos instead

certainly did enjoy the ride today steve, good thing it stopped as well as it go's and only being on 10psi and 91 gas puts a grin on my face thinking about the potential, not that its needed of course. learnt a few things when ya gave me the rundown. cant wait to see the e34 in action now =D if only you could give everyone a ride.... wouldnt cost much gas haha

cheers sam now theres a thought charge for rides? mind you its pretty good on gas i may just have to turn the boost up this weekend another 5psi wouldn't hurt :)

You probably did the yellow one that went to Bonneville B)

Doesn't need to be pretty, but it sounds like fun B) Maybe you should make some youtube videos instead

i did the worlds fastest mini that went to bonnie but no not any Suzuki well not cars anyway :)

cheers sam now theres a thought charge for rides? mind you its pretty good on gas i may just have to turn the boost up this weekend another 5psi wouldn't hurt :)

haha yes just use silverdale as a temporary drag strip, more boost? you sound like some of my friends

haha yes just use silverdale as a temporary drag strip, more boost? you sound like some of my friends

\

boost is addictive and more boost is the quire !!

Do you have some sort of airbox with filter for this?

that will go inside the front bumper using a front facing panel filter

Do you have more info about the turbo?

6cm turbine housing with a 58mm exducer, cold side is k27 comp cover 400kw comp wheel 60mm inducer, all dynamic seals, 3" intake will a 8" ram tube