Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

BMW Interior soft coating - Nextel Mankiewicz

So apparently all BMW (Audi and a couple of other German manufacturers) use Nextel Mankiewicz products to do all their interior plastic coatings - I've been trying to track down a specific colour coating for a while now with no luck.

I don't believe there's a distributor in NZ for this brand, nor am I certain that the coating process can be applied easily to plastic parts by your DIYer.

Any ideas gents?

The coating I am after is called - colour code:

Decopaint / Softpaint

Mankiewicz - Alexit

341 - 83

Edited by M3_Power

What kind of plastic parts do you need to re-coat?

Quite a few parts actually.

Parts that are simply too expensive to repurchase.

Any suggestions?

Will do some checking mate but pretty sure i can source something appropriate.

Some thing along this line but local, and yes the stuff i'm thinking of is DIY friendly

http://alsacorp.com/products/softtouch/softtouch.htm

I feel like hugging you right now :D !!!!!

PLEASE let me know what you come up with - thank you!!

Quite a few parts actually.

Parts that are simply too expensive to repurchase.

Any suggestions?

I am actually thinking about recoating too ..

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608006

Not sure if that's what you intend to do

Plastidip is available in Auckland . Glad to do it together as I need to refurbish my interiors as well

I am actually thinking about recoating too ..

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608006

Not sure if that's what you intend to do

Plastidip is available in Auckland . Glad to do it together as I need to refurbish my interiors as well

I have the plastidip stuff ... and believe me when I tell you that the colour doesn't match the BMW interior coating (unlike what you read on the internet) - also the product itself is crap ... it isn't durable at all - any slight nick and the thing starts to peel off like no tomorrow.

Don't waste your money or effort - it's a waste of time.

I have the plastidip stuff ... and believe me when I tell you that the colour doesn't match the BMW interior coating (unlike what you read on the internet) - also the product itself is crap ... it isn't durable at all - any slight nick and the thing starts to peel off like no tomorrow.

Phew thanks ... It does looks good in the Internet

I'll save myself the time then

Cheers

If you read that thread a little more you'll find that they used a clear coat on it afterwards, I would imagine a matte or a satin would get you a good finish and make the plasti-dip much more durable.

If you read that thread a little more you'll find that they used a clear coat on it afterwards, I would imagine a matte or a satin would get you a good finish and make the plasti-dip much more durable.

That would defeat the whole purpose of a rubberised coating. You'd get a better colour match and finish with standard matte paint.

Trust me Plastidip is NOT durable. It's NOT a permanent coating.

Going to bring this back up as I know there are a couple of painters on this forum and perhaps some of you can chime in on this?

There are guys in Bulgaria now using a different system to recoat the BMW interior plastics and it seems with good results from the photos I've seen posted.

I've also started looking at other products given the difficulty in dealing with Nextel Mankiewicz (I am not the only person apparently - a lot of people have tried and hit brick walls with this company).

So anyway, the guys in Bulgaria are using a urethane based soft touch clear coating system to replicate the finish - apparently this means that you can spray any colour base coats you desire.

The product they've been using however is an architectural wood finish coating - but apparently works on plastic so long as you use a plastic primer first.

I then came across these two products: first made by PPG

It's called Vibrance Soft Touch Clear - VC5225

It is advertised as a 2 component urethane top coat that provides a very very low sheen finish with a scratch resistent soft touch feel.

http://www.bapspaint.com/docs/psheets/PPG/...%20Bulletin.pdf

Have any of you painters used this product in the past? What is the finish like?

The second product I've come across is made by Bayer and it seems like there's an endless variety of possibilities with this product and it is also used within the automotive world.

It is called Plastic Softfeel Softtouch:

http://www.bayercoatings.de/BMS/DB-RSC/BMS...touch-06-08.pdf

Anyone know if this can be purchased locally?

http://www.bayercoatings.de/BMS/DB-RSC/BMS...OEN_1A5Softfeel

Ask at the source mate,

Bayer New Zealand Ltd.

Head Office

P.O. Box 2825

3 Argus Place

Glenfield, Auckland

New Zealand

phone: +64-9-443-3093

fax: +64-9-443-3094

I'm still tracking down the soft touch paint, BUT, i'm thinking this may be the go, no painting needed and could be very cost effective.

http://www.alsacorp.com/strechchrome/softo...film/index.html

I know a guy who does leather and vinyl repairs... He's been giving me advice for recolouring my leather interior. Pretty certain he does plastic and rubberised dash and internal component repair so I'll find out what he uses.

Ask at the source mate,

Bayer New Zealand Ltd.

Head Office

P.O. Box 2825

3 Argus Place

Glenfield, Auckland

New Zealand

phone: +64-9-443-3093

fax: +64-9-443-3094

I'm still tracking down the soft touch paint, BUT, i'm thinking this may be the go, no painting needed and could be very cost effective.

http://www.alsacorp.com/strechchrome/softo...film/index.html

Might have to send them an email or something. I just reading through the brochures online at the moment. It seems to me that Bayer has quite a few good products in the soft touch range, but the application might not be as simple as I envisaged.

Interesting film that ... I'd have to see one in person to really get a feel of it however and how durable it is.

The thing with Automotive interior coating is that you want to make sure it is a non-toxic product as the original coatings, otherwise the heat and moisture it is exposed to could mean some pretty nasty stuff coming off it over time.

I know a guy who does leather and vinyl repairs... He's been giving me advice for recolouring my leather interior. Pretty certain he does plastic and rubberised dash and internal component repair so I'll find out what he uses.

Cheers Julian. I have spoken to two interior repair companies and all have told me that they can only replicate the colour but not the texture of the finish (i.e. the suede rubberised feel of the coating). But would be good to see what your guy uses if he can indeed replicate it.