Sign in to follow this  
emal2

E34 turbo conversion

`I have owned a e34 535i auto, a e34 540i auto and lastly a e39 M5. Have just sold the M5 and replaced it with a e34 535i manual. It feels like a slug compared to the M5 so I am going to turbo it. There are heaps of european conversions on the web but the left hand drive conversion is way more user friendly because of the steering. I have seen a right hand drive conversion done with the turbo mounted on the left side of engine bay. Not too keen on that, has anyone considered standing the engine up a bit to give more access on the exhaust side. There would be sump mods, engine mounts, and the gearbox would have to be rotated back and probably some minor repositioning of plumbing, would appreciate your thoughts.

• Like 1

Make some room in the engine bay by repositioning various items and maybe moving the battery etc if it's in there. If you low mount the turbo below return sump line you may need to go dry sump. There have been a lot of USA based turbo conversions on american muscle who actually mount the turbo at the rear near the exhaust. Requires oil pump mods etc but despite the distance of the charge pipes, they do get surprisingly good results. That is because they really can't fit anything else in the engine bay with an alloy v8 in there.

^^ E34 535i is a six.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I understand. Just meaning that if people have managed to turbo charge big block v8s then it shouldn't be an issue on a straight 6

dry sump is also a bit overkill. A simple scavenging pump will be keep your wallet heavier

Good luck. There's plenty of help on here if you get stuck