Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Removing sunscreen on paint

Hi guys

My girlfriend's car has been used at the beach a lot over the past few years and subsequently has sunscreen handprints around the windows and doors.

I've tried clay barring it but that didn't work. Any other suggestions or does it need professional attention?

Thanks

Tristan

A professional machine cut and polish.

That's the only thing that worked for me previously.

It's probably the zinc oxide in the sunscreen that won't come off as it's a mineral. Try a product for removing water stains (also mineral-based) and that might work. Can't recommend any off the top of my head, I'm afraid.

I had this same problem on my Subaru door a couple of years ago, nearly new paint too :huh: I did some research and tried a few things (Claybar, Desolve it) I eventually tried a good cut and polish then tried a Meguiars product QuikWax, SwirlX or something like that with a polisher then another wash, cut and polish it came up good as new... so much so i had to do the rest of the car because it seemed dull.

Not sure if this could be relavant, but I had hand prints on my old car which were left by the mechanics that wouldn't come off with a good wash. I bought a very good Meguiars Cut & Polish (I'll check the name when I get home) and it seemed to do the trick. Might work for sunscreen too.

Edited by Kaz

Easiest way to get rid of it is to dump her :lol:

Have you tried decent polishing or cutting compound and a foam polishing pad?… maybe wait until after summer as it will likely happen again.

Old thread but i had this issue and used a paste type product from CRC called paint doctor and a nice micro fiber cloth. You rub on leave for ten minutes the buff off. I was amazed. Works perfectly.

• Like 1

Hmm i have some handprints on the Pajero too i woonder if it is sunscreen.?

I used a polish on the Falcon, then needed to go down to a quick compound and then buff to remove, seems to discolour the clear coat hence the need for a compound out.

Been three months still good

clay bar is just another polish/cleaner.It just as good(or bad) as any other polish/cuttimg attempt isnt it?

clay bar is just another polish/cleaner.It just as good(or bad) as any other polish/cuttimg attempt isnt it?

It's a particulate matter cleaner, removes stuck on debris. From what I've seen its easy just to polish over stuck on debris, not removing them properly hence the use of a clay bar with lubricant.

If anything I believe its a post wash, pre polishing tool.

Another technique in the car detailing arsenal !

• Like 2

Yip clay bar removes all that nasty debris to prep for polishing, doesn't impact the clear coat or paint.

Great for making your paint super smooth before a wax as well.

Also wicked on glass to remove buildup ;)

it's not these marks you're trying to remove, is it?

sexyvolvo.jpg

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 4

Hahaha I like it

^^ that's what she said!

• Like 1

^^ That's what he said!

• Like 1