Sign in to follow this  
polley

318i coupe

Picked this thing up cheap the other week. 318i facelift coupe.

Had a supposedly blown gearbox, and battery was flat so I hauled it home on the trailer not really knowing if the engine was good or not. It has a few issues ill be sorting out over the next few weeks...

The M40 aint gonna cut it, so that has to go, will manual convert at the same time.

The suspension is questionable, so that will get a freshen up.

It has a few rice burner additions to it that ill remove and a few other little things.

20121209_174403.jpg

20121209_171010.jpg

Edited by polley

It had these ugly ass tail lights, so removed those. I think I have some replacements in my stash of spare parts some where which I will dig out during the week.

Anyone want them? One of them seems to be a bit faded, might come up with bit of a polish if you're into that sort of thing. Come pick them up from hamilton. Otherwise they are going in the bin.

someone removed the boot spoiler and left holes and goop on the boot. so I put a new boot lid on. parcel tray has not been cut to fit the speakers either.

Pulled back the seat covers... its a bit ugly. Will have to replace them.

It's got an alarm somewhere, and the immobiliser is stopping it from starting. A paperclip in the C101 connector fixed that and it started first pop. Removed one of the "bros" stereo / amp installations. This week ill remove the carpet, water blast it cause its a bit rank, and prob dye it black, and at the same time remove the alarm.

20121209_174344.jpg

20121209_165312.jpg

20121209_203550.jpg

Edited by polley

..V8

Hrrm, sold my spare m60 a few months ago. would of gone well in it, but manual gearboxes are expensive for them

Is that drivers door open in the pic or is it sagging?

A keeper or are you doing up to flick on?

What ya chucking into it? Still got your old m50 e30 you used to have?

Yeah, its had some substantial upgrades since then.

Tonight I replaced one tail light... and the boot badge to a nicer one. could be a slow build..

Is it very difficult to remove the carpets? What are you planning to use to dye the carpets? I did a mates e30 with that VHT stuff, it didn't come out too bad but did wear out pretty quick...

Pretty easy to remove the carpets really, if the car is an aircon car its easiest to cut the carpet around the heaterbox otherwise you need to remove the dash + heaterbox.

I used VHT last time, removed the carpet, water blasted the sh*t out of it and hung it up to dry for a week before spraying it. Never wore out.

Pretty easy to remove the carpets really, if the car is an aircon car its easiest to cut the carpet around the heaterbox otherwise you need to remove the dash + heaterbox.

I used VHT last time, removed the carpet, water blasted the sh*t out of it and hung it up to dry for a week before spraying it. Never wore out.

Hmm yeah I think we took too many shotcuts haha. Cheers for the advice! Ill be doing mine in a couple of weeks too then.

Yeah it would be cool, but if I did it I would cut the firewall out and sit the motor right back. Which I guess isnt out of the question.

We have two spare M70s, be the first BSer to M70 an E30.

Tbh I think that would completely ruin the car. I'd buy a boat and use the M70 for an anchor though :)

Contemplating M62 5 speed manual, but I dont like the idea of spacing the subframe 20mm, and the brake booster setup people use.

Where does the sump on an m62 sit in relation to the E30 subframe?

In front of it?

Does it prevent you from moving the engine backwards any further?

Did any of the m62's come with rear sumps?

Nice. Front bumper amongst other things was questionable though!

Give me a text sometime and I'll give you a hand with things and shoot the sh*t.

Nice. Front bumper amongst other things was questionable though!

Give me a text sometime and I'll give you a hand with things and shoot the sh*t.

yeah sweet as. yep, needs new front bumper and valence. but i think it will tidy up nicely with not too much work. most the stuff done to it is easily reversible.

Posted Image

zzzz some rust, the stuff around the foot pedal isnt bad, but the stuff by the sound deadening dosent look too good, no holes though. will deal to it later.

Posted Image

And I started doing a battery to boot conversion, ran out of light though.

Have the same problem with the rust after taking out the carpet and stuff, might be worth to check for leaks into the car esp from the firewalls

I thought the thicker part was on the top? you might have gotten it the wrong way around, not 100% sure tho

Dont think so.. these are supposed to raise subframe 12mm. Either way, the total stack height appears to be too much, so flipping them wouldnt make a difference?

Don't know how to quite answer the stack height question, but, when I did my subframe bushes, I compared the assembled part with the original removed bushes, and compared the height and dimensions etc and it ended up having the fatter part at the top. But yours raise it 12mm, so I don't know :wacko: I just play "match the image" to make sure orientation is correct.

The fatter part goes to the bottom with these, thats how they raise the subframe.

Either way, I measured them up and compared to old standard ones. The aluminium insert is correct length thankfully, but bottom half is 7-8mm too long.

Ok, so I machined them down 7mm.

Still leaves a bit of bush left so the whole lot can compress up before bottoming out on the insert and keeps the whole lot tight.

All together, bottom bracket lines up perfectly.

Put some new discs on, brake and handbrake pads. Adjustable platforms and new shocks.

Finally finished with the rear end of the car, hopefully never have to f with that sh*t again.

Edited by polley

Bit of a slack day today, got out of bed late and got a little bit done, sun came out and it was too hot so spent most the day crashing and repairing my rc helicopter. Then went back out and finished pulling the engine out.

Which one of you boyracers wants to buy an M40? :)

And finally out... after realising there was an engine dampner on both sides and not just the drivers side.

Edited by polley