Sign in to follow this  
polley

318i coupe

Yeah, I've got something in mind, you will see next week lol

Well the cars been running and I've been driving it around for the last couple of weeks.

As always rust turned out to be worse than what it appeared to be, so I ended up cutting bits of the floor out and welding in new patches.

I put coilovers / adjustables in the front, replaced the control arms / balljoints, new swaybar links and rackends / tierods and a larger swaybar.

Engine wise I would of liked to go with an M62, but in the end I would always want more power and getting that from a NA M62 would be expensive.

I've done a few m50 swaps in the past, so I put an m50 in it and to make up for the lacking hp added a turbo.

Im not very good at taking pictures of projects while im working on them but I've got a few ill upload later.

The LSD is also starting to get a bit lazy with the extra power through it, so some extra clutches will be in its future.

Edited by polley

Changed the headlights over to some smileys and cut up the front valence to fit around the intercooler.

Engine bay pretty much complete

I made up some seat rails and put some black bucket seats in, didnt really get any pictures of that I dont think. I took it out for a drive to whangamata a couple of weeks ago since I've never been there! Real cool drive out there no shennanigans as it was overboosting 30+psi at the time.

A pic from the beach. I've got a mint valence to stick on with fog lights and put on an "is" lip when I get around to cutting it up to fit which will tidy up the front. And some new plates that arent all bent up should tidy up the front.

Edited by polley

Thats some collection of welders...

Oh and the car is pretty awesome too!

Yes that is not even the start of the welders, there is a few hundred sitting in the room across ;)

Engine bay looks super tidy, good work.

Now we need some videooooos

Re: washer bottle, I grabbed one of an E23, fits in the same place as the E30's but is only ~5" wide and sits against the guard.

• Like 1

Got some new batterys for the gopro cam on their way, old one is stuffed from sitting un-used for so long. Would of been a good vid last weekend, bonnet up with a friend checking the wastegate was working properly while i was doing a burnout :D

Oh yeah... I wasnt aware of the E23 one, I'm not sure how it would survive the heat of the turbo been so close though. A cool thing with the astra pump is it has two pump outlets, switch the polarity of power to the pump and it pumps out the opposite out let. Maybe I could have some squirters out the side as a party trick for pesky pedestrians.... Or maybe an intercooler sprayer.

I will admit, it is a pain in the ass to try and fill when its in the boot. I had the lady at the BP service station ask me "I gotta ask, why the hell were you pouring water in your boot?"

Edited by polley

Maybe I could have some squirters out the side as a party trick for pesky pedestrians.... Or maybe an intercooler sprayer.

awesome workmanship!

maybe put the washer bottle in a small 12v mini fridge (frosty mornings everyday)

Yes that is not even the start of the welders, there is a few hundred sitting in the room across ;)

I am quite jealous. I would love to have access to a welder whenever I wished haha.

You certainly made quick work of it, despite the lack of updates. My project is still a rusting hulk on the back lawn.

Yeah, its had some substantial upgrades since then.

Tonight I replaced one tail light... and the boot badge to a nicer one. could be a slow build..

A slow build??!! Whats a fast build by your standards then? :blink: Looks freakin sweet man, nice work!

Love the way you did it!!!

What ecu is it running?

I am quite jealous. I would love to have access to a welder whenever I wished haha.

You certainly made quick work of it, despite the lack of updates. My project is still a rusting hulk on the back lawn.

you should get out there and cut that rust out, even if it turns to sh*t its good practice and its fun welding things :)

What ecu is it running?

DTA s80

www.dtafast.co.uk

Epic! You got so much work done without posting! I think vids is a must! :wub:

I had a few issues a long the way, the rust wasnt expected. A bent rear trailing arm and bent subframe meant I had to pull it all out and do it again. Turns out you cant fit ABS axles in non abs trailing arms without removing the ABS ring first either.

The car left me stranded in tauranga a few weeks ago with a squealing front wheel bearing on a sunday night. Didnt want to risk the drive home in case it locked up. So left the car there and shot over on anzac day and replaced the bearing.

I got a few issues to sort out before hitting the dyno and giving it a proper tune as I've only road tuned it at the moment and I want to turn the boost up and use boost by rpm to keep torque as flat as possible.

I need to sort out some fuel problems, the stock fuel pumps arent keeping up anymore or they are at the end of their life. I have the stupid dual pump setup which seems to be a pain in the ass to upgrade, a single in tank walbro pump would be nice, not having to deal with an external pump and then a lift pump as well. But how the fuel lines currently are dont really make that easy.

Or i can go right out with a bosch external 044, redo the lines, new lift pump etc. But that seems like a lot of work and i just wanna drive it at the moment.

Does anyone know about upgraded brakepads for E30's? Hawke, pagid? Where to buy them from? What do the e30 series guys run?

looks great,

so your running 30psi with 10.5-1 compression? if so- awesome

Haha if e85 was more available then yeah I might try that.. but no it runs 13psi, the 30psi was with a accidentally crimped off wastegate line.

And I'm running a mls head spacer gasket to drop the compression ratio.

Edited by polley

Jealous of the DTA S80. Atleast they've(compared to link) sorted out traction control that isn't just for getting off the line.

Whos dyno do you borrow/rent?

Haven't used the traction control yet, but I have built a little VR to hall signal converter in preparation for it.

No dyno yet, all been road tuned. Will be on the hunt for a dyno to use once I get new fuel pump(s) in.

Oh, and the new gopro batterys turned up today, so maybe vids this weekend.

Edited by polley

Where did you get the ecu through? Looks like a really nice feature set :)

Edited by nipe

www.msel.co.nz sell them. Same price as a link g4 extreme as well, but it has built in igniters which the link dosent have.

So i've decided that go pros suck.... i made some videos but you cant hear anything at all over the wind noise, and its all rattly

So i've decided that go pros suck.... i made some videos but you cant hear anything at all over the wind noise, and its all rattly

Heh yep. You really need a separate audio recorder.

Specs on turbo?

Holset HX35. 12cm2 turbine housing with external wastegate.

Heh yep. You really need a separate audio recorder.

I actually think my S3 takes clearer 1080p videos, will prob use that for in car vids tbh.

The only thing going for the gopro is that it is water proof, and that the suction cup mount is pretty awesome.

Only update at the moment... I put a stereo in it, sony bluetooth head unit and some cheapy rockford fosgate speakers.

I intended on streaming music from my S3 to the headunit, but when I do the quality is shite! From a usb stick it sounds all good though. I guess the phone is compressing the audio before sending it over the bluetooth? Is there some way around this?

Edited by polley

i made video of doing some roll back reversie clutch dumps.