Sign in to follow this  
curves.asia

1988 320i : Renewal

Just to start off this project thread, haven't got much photos of what I've done so far (ceebs taking photos and doing things at the same time), but I'll try my best to upload photos of progress from the next week onwards when I'm getting down and dirty again with the Eferty.

A few things to note down i.e. things I've done so far:

- A well-deserved car wash and interior cleaning

- Took the car to my mate's and did a full under-body check and found a few things of concern - the power steering hose is leaking (not much but you can tell it's been leaking), brake hoses have been replaced (so all goods), just bits and pieces overall ain't too bad

- Response was sluggish, so found that the aftermarket cone filter did a piss of a job, so plugged back in the original factory filter box in and voila

- Mucked around with the throttle cables

- Engine oil change and of course the oil filter

Things to do:

- Radiator flush

- Transmission fluid change (might be irrelevant seeing as I'm going to do a manual swap over the summer)

- Valve adjustments

- Timing belt change

- Check distributor

- Rust spots and patches around the car in places that you can't see and some on top that might need tending a.s.a.p

- Check and fix where the leaks came from

Honorable mentions:

As I was doing the engine oil change last weekend, I recalled the previous owner mentioning leaks into the car. So I re-checked the interiors and found that both passenger and drivers floors are damp near the front (after the storm, probably).

So nek minnit, both seats are out the car, the center console took apart, the carpet went out, and boom. Rust spots here and there. New discovery.

Priority up there is to fix the leakage points possibly re-routing the drainage if possible so I won't get a repeat and tend the interior rust. Planning to leave the carpet out of the car so maybe will re-paint the interior.

Keep this updated.

E

So basically, after all the carpet's gone out I'm left with these on the driver's side:

Posted Image

Took a bit of time brushing off the surface rust with wire brushes and some sanding off too:

Posted Image

Homemade fluorescent tube lighting in place : lol :

Posted Image

After that, applied some rust converter on and was letting it set while I moved on to check behind the firewall:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Found some evidence of water pooling as such and blew the area with compressed air clean before pulling out the drainage tube - the tube was filled with literally mud and some bits and pieces of leaves and what not which clearly would be the main culprit.

Also cut the end of the tube to make a larger hole also to prevent buildup in the future and for consistency of drainage.

Posted Image

After the floor's dried up, zinc'ed the rust and was all set for now

Nice job, Must have been leaking a while to rust up all under there. Atleast it was a simple fix for the water leak, and not the heater core which is a POS.

FYI your missing a pedal!

Nice job, Must have been leaking a while to rust up all under there. Atleast it was a simple fix for the water leak, and not the heater core which is a POS.

FYI your missing a pedal!

Thanks, yeah it probably has been leaking since many moons ago. Hopefully what I've fixed is what is to be fixed :|

Yeah, missing a pedal hopefully one will take that place over the summer! :D

I just advise you to do some exhaustive tests before you put the carpet back in. In my experience, the heater cowl on the engine side (you have the cover off by it) has a seal which shrinks over time, and water pools over it and into the interior. Massive PITA

I just advise you to do some exhaustive tests before you put the carpet back in. In my experience, the heater cowl on the engine side (you have the cover off by it) has a seal which shrinks over time, and water pools over it and into the interior. Massive PITA

Yeah, will look into that this weekend thanks :) will keep everyone updated

Gave the vehicle a wash this arvo when it was all sunny - just in time for the storm in the next few days :| but otherwise :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Where you in Whangarei last weekend? With a surfboard on the roof?

Your car is looking awesome!

Where you in Whangarei last weekend? With a surfboard on the roof?

Your car is looking awesome!

Thanks mate, nopes - the car hasn't done much long distances yet since I've been busy with work -_-

Certainly don't surf too haha :lol:

Must have been your twin! Don't hink it had the black grilles or eye bows though - didn't see it for long.

Just another update.

There's been a leak, the same area a few days ago... -_- so is there anyone (apart from suggesting opening the heater area etc) can help with this?

I've done all the HVAC drainage clean-ups and all that stuff, but there's quite an amount of water on the passenger side (not coolant, it's just water).

If no one knows what's going on then I might proceed with taking the whole dash out and look for the whole problem... it's gonna take a piss of a job to get that done -_-

Edited by curves.asia

After the heavy rain this morning (knew there was because there's a pool inside the car <_< so did a full-scale dig while doing the surface rusts and found this:

Posted Image

That was on the driver's side where the battery tray is, poured water around the area and indeed water was trickling down - there's another one on the passenger side where the fuse box is (don't really know how to take out the fuse box) but water-tested there as well and same results.

Hopefully the next few days should be prime for fibreglass-ing and silicone-ing...

The fuse box side should have a rubber boot that covers the hole where wires pass through the firewall, unless it's rusted around there too? You can't really move the fusebox though or get much clearance, just remove the carpet side and check up behind the glovebox etc, you will be able to see where the hole is.

Looks pretty nasty...

Hmm I would be more inclined to get that rut cut out to stop it and some new sheet metal welded in place.

Best thing to do is strip the whole area back and see how extensive it is first.

The fuse box side should have a rubber boot that covers the hole where wires pass through the firewall, unless it's rusted around there too? You can't really move the fusebox though or get much clearance, just remove the carpet side and check up behind the glovebox etc, you will be able to see where the hole is.

Looks pretty nasty...

I assume the rubber boot area's the same story :| because I poured water around the area as well and got the same results as I did with the battery tray area...

Hmm I would be more inclined to get that rut cut out to stop it and some new sheet metal welded in place.

Best thing to do is strip the whole area back and see how extensive it is first.

Stripping the whole area back would take a piss of a job, since it's a daily I couldn't do much than putting things back in a day -_-

But yes, will cut out the rust and do you know where I can get sheet metal for a bargain? I'm more inclined on cutting the rust to stop it then fibreglass it?

saw this by dominion road shops yesterday looks tidy!

That would be me since I live just down the road :lol: though I'm not really sure about the tidiness - hasn't been washed for couple weeks

re: the battery tray rust, I had the battery tray area on my last E30 completely cut out and rebuilt/sealed for under $1000 IIRC, including a firewall rust hole repair also.

re: the battery tray rust, I had the battery tray area on my last E30 completely cut out and rebuilt/sealed for under $1000 IIRC, including a firewall rust hole repair also.

That's exp. as!

Would be heaps cheaper and worthwhile to work on it yourself? Maybe that's just me, but thanks for the tip tho.

Gathering things needed for the repairs too, still missing a grinder :/

Power steering fluid needs a top up. Brake pressure a bit off.

Any hints for the PS fluid? Specific ones to use etc?

Will get brake pressure checked out too, might be just the fluids...

That's exp. as!

Would be heaps cheaper and worthwhile to work on it yourself? Maybe that's just me, but thanks for the tip tho.

Gathering things needed for the repairs too, still missing a grinder :/

Worthwhile only if you do it right haha! :lol: I might have a grinder lying around that you could borrow. Ask me to look for it later.

Power steering fluid needs a top up. Brake pressure a bit off.

Any hints for the PS fluid? Specific ones to use etc?

Will get brake pressure checked out too, might be just the fluids...

supposed to use ATF fluid if its a ZF rack which they pretty much all are