Sign in to follow this  
02e46m-sport

Getting a cert with stretched tyres

hey guys just wanting to know if you guys know anyone that does certs and is lenient with tyre stretch?

Good luck with that.

The only tyre that I know you can get certed for stretch is the Falken 452 (I think). As Falken have stated that they are safe for stretch. That's the only way you will get a cert for stretched tyres.

there is a chart floating around on here showing allowable stretch vs rim size etc, that LTSA or whatever they're called now, released at the begining of this saga... i'd be checking it with your certifier though because i dont know if it was set in stone

or just go for it... and if you miss borrow some wheels...

there is a chart floating around on here showing allowable stretch vs rim size etc, that LTSA or whatever they're called now, released at the begining of this saga... i'd be checking it with your certifier though because i dont know if it was set in stone

cheers man! just that i have 225 35 on a 19 x 10 at the rear of my e46 lol..do cops chek wheel and tyre size on the cert? was thinkn of certn with my mates wheels 225 35 on a 19 x 9.5 wch he got certed, because mine is just a tad crazy.

borrowed wheels ok, just have to be same diameter and width as the ones you replace it with, as thats stamped on the cert plate too. silly eh

I think the Chart was 'guidance' for W.O.F.'s

If your rim/tyre combo wasn't on the chart then you'd need some kind of documentation from the tyre manufacturer.

The LVVTA Certification process has no 'tyre' size fields (unless they have updated recently) only Rim Size and Ride Height (centre of wheel [up] to the Arch).

[old whinging fart rant]

And would suggest if you're going for some pimp'd slam'd uber-stretch beyond manufacturers spec's then you're pushing it uphill and putting us all at risk if you're on the road like that..... [/old whinging fart rant]

• Like 1

The LVVTA Certification process has no 'tyre' size fields (unless they have updated recently) only Rim Size and Ride Height (centre of wheel [up] to the Arch).

my cert plate is 4 months old and doesnt have that

If your rim/tyre combo wasn't on the chart then you'd need some kind of documentation from the tyre manufacturer.

[old whinging fart rant]

And would suggest if you're going for some pimp'd slam'd uber-stretch beyond manufacturers spec's then you're pushing it uphill and putting us all at risk if you're on the road like that..... [/old whinging fart rant]

cheers, re your rant, i will post pics soon looks good staunchy not 'pimped' lol

my cert plate is 4 months old and doesnt have that

He is saying it does NOT have that. Mine is like 2 weeks old and tyre size was not recorded, only wheel size, and height.

He is saying it does NOT have that. Mine is like 2 weeks old and tyre size was not recorded, only wheel size, and height.

I know, said because of this

(unless they have updated recently)

ok, fair enough.

sweet if tyre size is not recorded, and the cert displays u have wheels 19x10 effectivley you can get the cert with say 255 on the 10inch then after change them to say 225 for that stretch and cops cant say much due to cert and wof right?

You cannot put everything that is documented on the cert plate.... however... be assured it is documented. If you don't play by the rules it may come back and bite you. Remember that when a car is certed, every other change you make must have re certification after the original certification. Ignorance of the law is not a defense excuse. The only leniency you may get will be from a judge after you injure or kill someone. A certifier must work within the legal guidelines.

sweet if tyre size is not recorded, and the cert displays u have wheels 19x10 effectivley you can get the cert with say 255 on the 10inch then after change them to say 225 for that stretch and cops cant say much due to cert and wof right?

I wouldnt do that. Even if you are 100% legal to your cert plate and if cops want to f**k with you they will, and there isnt anything you can do about it.

stretch is gay.

You cannot put everything that is documented on the cert plate.... however... be assured it is documented. If you don't play by the rules it may come back and bite you. Remember that when a car is certed, every other change you make must have re certification after the original certification. Ignorance of the law is not a defense excuse. The only leniency you may get will be from a judge after you injure or kill someone. A certifier must work within the legal guidelines.

cheers for that Glenn

[old whinging fart rant]

Ya, na he's right, the chart is 'guidance' for certifiers. There doesn't seem to be any requirement yet for WOFs (wont be long I suspect).

Agree with the rant though. Real men wear real rubber.

Not quite. a WOF sticker is only issued at a point in time, and it is up the owner to ensure its always safe. a cop can pull you over at anytime and issue a green or pink sticker to a car if its not up to WOF standards, even if it has a current one. Its not as if your car, on the date of expiry, suddenly deteriorates 6 months worth of wear

for example, say i have 1mm tyres on all four corners so i swap my mates good ones on and pass the WOF, and then swap my tyres back on. the car is then not up to WOF standard, and can get stickered if i get pulled over at any stage or breath check etc.

Not quite. a WOF sticker is only issued at a point in time, and it is up the owner to ensure its always safe. a cop can pull you over at anytime and issue a green or pink sticker to a car if its not up to WOF standards, even if it has a current one. Its not as if your car, on the date of expiry, suddenly deteriorates 6 months worth of wear

for example, say i have 1mm tyres on all four corners so i swap my mates good ones on and pass the WOF, and then swap my tyres back on. the car is then not up to WOF standard, and can get stickered if i get pulled over at any stage or breath check etc.

good point, gues il change the tyres to 235s or 245s

Ya, na he's right, the chart is 'guidance' for certifiers. There doesn't seem to be any requirement yet for WOFs (wont be long I suspect)

If a cop sees you with stretched tyres dont be surprised if he pulls you over and pink stickers your car. The tyre to rim guidlines on the LVVTA webstite are LAW not just something to follow.

The law actually states

Paragraph 2.6(1) b of Low Volume Vehicle Standard 205‐00 (Wheels & Tyres), states that tyres

must be an appropriate selection for the type and width of wheel to which they are fitted.

So as long as you can prove you are within the manufacturers recommendations you are within the law.

There is a guidance document the certifiers use in the absence of manufactures recommendations.

For example the guideline states that the max width wheel a 215/40 tyre can be fitted to is 8.5".

Falkon, however, recommend the same tyre can be fitted to a 9" rim.

See the difference?

I wouldnt do that. Even if you are 100% legal to your cert plate and if cops want to f**k with you they will, and there isnt anything you can do about it.

If a cop sees you with stretched tyres dont be surprised if he pulls you over and pink stickers your car. The tyre to rim guidlines on the LVVTA webstite are LAW not just something to follow.

This actually happened to my brother inlaw the other day, he tried some rims on his car that he was looking at buying off TM and went for a drive around the block and was stopped by the cops for appearing to have to much stretch, turns out it did by 10mm and the Police were gonna sticker him until he explained the situation and that his legal rims were a few hundred metres away... they followed to be sure and told the guy selling them that they are illegal, Bro in law bought them at a discounted price thanks to the police too. ^_^

Never had a problem with my stretch 16x9 with 205s (when the cops check cert/car). Just don't be a c**t and your'll be fine.

cheers, re your rant, i will post pics soon looks good staunchy not 'pimped' lol

pics please