Sign in to follow this  
02e46m-sport

Getting a cert with stretched tyres

Needs some bolt on guards, less camber and more tyre. Just my opinion

Cool wheels though

Is it legal as it is?

Ditto

yeh jasmits old wheels, neh mre camber and lowr will do the trick for me also looking at painting them silver colour match. about being legal iv had a few run ins with the cops, nothing mentioned about the wheels, must b the fact that its a bmw apposed to them jappas i gues cops are more leiniant towards euros? imo anyway

yeh jasmits old wheels, neh mre camber and lowr will do the trick for me also looking at painting them silver colour match. about being legal iv had a few run ins with the cops, nothing mentioned about the wheels, must b the fact that its a bmw apposed to them jappas i gues cops are more leiniant towards euros? imo anyway

Run-ins from speeding or looking generally suspicious?

Run-ins from speeding or looking generally suspicious?

lol speeding and iv had cops driving directly bhind me and next to me a few times no problems just a good ol gork at the car

my utes going for cert tomorrow with 225/40/18s on 8.5s and 9.5s so will see how that goes

Went for cert, failed on rear tyres being too small for rim width, need a 235 min on a 9.5

Went for cert, failed on rear tyres being too small for rim width, need a 235 min on a 9.5

Unless its a falken tyre

No offense but that just looks silly having the mags stick out way past the guards... Just my opinion.

Might look better with crazy camber but then camber wear on tyres not worth it IMO.

Just my 2c.

I currently have 215s on a 8.5" wheel at it looks stretched enough.

225s on a 10" sounds crazy.. For nz standards anyway. Got nothing on the Japanese stance scene tho :D

No offense but that just looks silly having the mags stick out way past the guards... Just my opinion.

+1. Not my bag either, but each to their own of course, as long it's safe/legal.

Might look better with crazy camber but then camber wear on tyres not worth it IMO.

Just my 2c.

I currently have 215s on a 8.5" wheel at it looks stretched enough.

225s on a 10" sounds crazy.. For nz standards anyway. Got nothing on the Japanese stance scene tho :D

has a 235 on atm and as disp in the pic, as for sticking out wayy past the guards? hardly mate, have had nothing but complements so far on the street and yes i will b dialing in some camber this weekend and lowering it a bit more

Anything past the guards is "way past" in my humble opinion. I like to look at stanced out cars but afaik if rims are out past guards then it's illegal. I may be wrong dont quote me on this. Looked nicer on the blue car. Will reserve verdict till after camber+drop. Btw is the nz rule for camber -2~3%?

Anything past the guards is "way past" in my humble opinion. I like to look at stanced out cars but afaik if rims are out past guards then it's illegal. I may be wrong dont quote me on this. Looked nicer on the blue car. Will reserve verdict till after camber+drop. Btw is the nz rule for camber -2~3%?

im about 80% sure as long as the tread is within the gaurds its okay. most 4x4s have tyres and/or rims that are beyond the gaurds, but the tread has to be inside.

but i could be wrong im not a wof inspector

edit: this assumes the stretch isnt too much for the tyre etc etc as per other rules. my 4x4ing days were 5 years ago, a bit hazy now

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Yes its tread inside guard. As long as the stretch is legal and it doesn't rub its fine

Checklist to stancing you car in NZ;

- Tread inside the guards

- Tyres met size and rim width guidlines

- Camber not more than half a degree greater than OE spec and tolerence

Tick these off and you car is legal.

Hey guys, use to be quite an active member back in the day but got into the jap scene for quite some time. Anyway, I'll re-introduce myself.

James from Rota Wheels (360Link). Have had many years under BMW's including a small stint working on our previous E30 series race car etc.

Just to clarify a few things with the stretched tyres:

Rim poke doesn't instantly mean fail, if the tread is inside the guards and the rim to tyre ratio is correct it is legal. Please see: http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infoshee...ility_Guide.pdf for the LVV sheet.

As far as stretching other tyres go, as stated above, Falkens have been legally approved within NZ. We were the ones who brought the Falken sheets to NZ and pushed it through with the assistance of Platinum Wheels. This does not only apply to the FK452 but the ZE912 also.

It does allow for quite a bit more lenience, such as a 17x9 normally requires a 235/45 or 235/40. With the Falkens you can legally go to a 215/40/17 etc.

If you would like a copy of either of these sheets, please don't hesitate to contact me - james@rotawheels.co.nz and I'm happy to send you these. We can also do great quotes on the Falken tyres also.

FK452 is a directional tyre, ZE912 is an asymmetric tyre. Both are great bang for buck, I personally run the FK452 and can't fault it in the dry or wet, wear and performance is exceptional.

Another thing to note, camber laws have come in quite a bit as of late, when certing from memory you can't have more than 1 degree over factory. E.g factory may be -1 degrees, you can legally go to -2 degrees. I will check up on this but I believe it to be correct.

Hope I've been of some assistance. Cheers -James

Edited by ///Msport