Sign in to follow this  
Spudooli

An E28 in semi retirement

My E28 has now been in semi-retirement for 3 months. He's had a trip around the block most (read every other) weekends. But now, the battery has had enough and won't start. He got a jump a couple of weekends ago and a longer trip out on the motorway to compensate, but only 10 days later, battery says no.

What's the solution here from you guys with semi-retired cars? A trickle charger? Is it safe to leave said charger connected the whole time between fortnightly thrashes around the block?

I want to keep the E28 because I love it more than I love my kids, but if he won't start then there is going to be problems between us.

Advice, please, for semi retired cars than need to start first time every time.

buy a new battery , disconect it when not in use .

charge it once every few weeks etc

check you dont have something draining it faster than waht is should have.

comon faults like central locking system relay , alarms ,

just just an old weak battery

easy enough to check these things

or just sell the car to me :)

Our E12 invariably has a flat battery from sitting too - typical sparky's car :unsure:

I give it a charge occasionally when I think about it, usually when it's already flat though.

Ideally they should be maintained, either as Brent says by giving a charge every few weeks or a with an automatic battery maintainer. Cheap simple units can "cook" the battery though.

Bear in mind that the battery would have been slowly discharging over time until it gets to the point of no go. A quick drive, or even a longer one will not deep charge the battery, but simply puts a surface charge on it, this is soon lost again when it sits. Compare to putting on a charger for 24 hours or so to fully charge from flat.

If fitted with an alarm & sitting with that on - will hasten the battery to flat. Not wise to leave in armed state, unless been compensated with a charging device.

My E28 has now been in semi-retirement for 3 months. He's had a trip around the block most (read every other) weekends. But now, the battery has had enough and won't start. He got a jump a couple of weekends ago and a longer trip out on the motorway to compensate, but only 10 days later, battery says no.

What's the solution here from you guys with semi-retired cars? A trickle charger? Is it safe to leave said charger connected the whole time between fortnightly thrashes around the block?

I want to keep the E28 because I love it more than I love my kids, but if he won't start then there is going to be problems between us.

Advice, please, for semi retired cars than need to start first time every time.

Its not ready for the retirement home yet, why not use the car at least 2 days a week, to keep it happy and in good running spirits?

Cars don't take well to sitting around, but as Brent suggested, new battery, check for battery drain etc.

i use a brand new top of the line battery charger (cost around $300 retail, but i didnt pay that ;) ) for my touring, because i really only use it on the weekend and that motor needs a lot of juice to get started. i have it on a timer to click in at 4am and shut off at 8am every day, and that keeps it ready for action whenever i need it.

Also, because of the battery being under the back seat i had to pull it every time i wanted to connect the charger, so made a charging socket in the boot of the car (fused of course)

i use a brand new top of the line battery charger

Yep - get a proper battery maintainer (fully auto charger). Most do a reverse polarity pulse to prevent battery sulfation, then charge the battery to a standby voltage (usually 13.8V) then maintain that level (or close to) with a minimal current charge.

I had a car until recently that was doing anything from 27 to 250kms between WOF's and I had it connected to a small maintainer (2.5A max) that I paid about $100 trade. It was for a small battery though. That battery was in the car for nearly the entire 7 or 8 years I had the car, and never gave any issues. I left mine on 24/7, but it would sometimes sit 4 or 5 months without even being uncovered!`

When I wasn't using the Transporter daily, I did the same thing, and it was always ready to go. When our last Son arrived, I didn't use it for 4 weeks, and forgot abuot the charger - it was just flat enough not to start (has a complex alarm and some battery monitoring gear live all the time).

as was mentioned above, make a tidy little socket, so you can plug straight in, without having to clip onto the battery - less chance of stuffing anything up each time you connect :-). With the clips you cut off, wire the same plug on, so you can still connect them on for other batteries.

I need to find a decent one of these things in 6V for the Model A now B)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll shout myself one of them battery maintainers for Christmas and make it really easy to connect/disconnect.

Yeah I should drive it more often. But after only owning E28s since 1997, the E39 by comparison is such a thoroughly nice place to be and its novelty still hasn't worn off after 3 months of owning it.

i dont think I'm supposed to say this, but find someone that has a Repco's trade card. HUGE discount on chargers.

maybe get your battery tested first , a good battery should last months in a e28 with out use .

my e28 has one in it and it can sit for a month or more etc

also check something that is draining it etc .

also check the glovebox light is not on all the time another comon thing to fail in these cars

and also the interior light control relay fail . leaves the window switch back lights on all the time etc.

It has an old keyless entry system in it so that will be using some power. That combined with some old wiring for an alarm I don't fancy my chances of extracting it.

Checked all those other things, they're all ok.

And I guess the battery is about 4 years old.

It has an old keyless entry system in it so that will be using some power. That combined with some old wiring for an alarm I don't fancy my chances of extracting it.

Checked all those other things, they're all ok.

And I guess the battery is about 4 years old.

best way to check is to hook up a amp meter between the battery and the positive termial .

and see how many amps it is drawing with door closed etc .

then slowly pull one fuse out at a time out and see when it drops down and then you will be able to know what cicuit is drawing more

i think sitting there should be less than 100mA??

but also if your battery is 4 years or more old ,

then it probably getting tied and if the car is not used often enough etc.

I'd think new battery time AND the charger too ;)

Yes, a good trade account at RIPco helps - their retail prices have huge margin on a lot of stuff.

My e30 sits on a trickle charge/maintainer and it works perfectly. This on a 5 year old battery too! :)

I use my charger also when im testing the ECU .. the car stays in the on position (motor not running) for hours. EG 14 hours at a time and it still maintains charge.

The key is to keep your battery in top order all of the time and it will last you years.