Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Flywheel.

Hi guys, have done a bit of research on solid sate flywheels and had brief discussions with Josh on his setup, i've found Turner motorsport have some tasty light flywheels, naturally i'd prefer to shop close to home, does Turner motorsport have a supplier in NZ?

Does anyone here have any other good brands that they know of/have used?

Hi guys, have done a bit of research on solid sate flywheels and had brief discussions with Josh on his setup, i've found Turner motorsport have some tasty light flywheels, naturally i'd prefer to shop close to home, does Turner motorsport have a supplier in NZ?

Does anyone here have any other good brands that they know of/have used?

Get one custom made mate - the pic is mine from the S13. I can get you the details of who did it if you like.

post-1740-1357198997.jpg

Ha there's hardly anything to that one, what was the aprox price of this, was wanting to spend up to 1g max for the flywheel then what ever it cost for a prung clutch. PM me if you like.

Ha there's hardly anything to that one, what was the aprox price of this, was wanting to spend up to 1g max for the flywheel then what ever it cost for a prung clutch. PM me if you like.

Exactly, nice and light! From memory the price of it was within your budget.

You need to talk to MP Autoparts down here for a clutch, they are highly recommended and priced very well! Attached is a pic of S13 clutch they made for me - non sprung 5-Puk. They make them all in house and are priced well. They also did an uprated pressure plate for me. The best thing is even with the lightened flywheel, uprated pressure plate and non-sprung clutch the pedal feel is fso much softer than the after-market clutch that came out (sure it was Exedy).

post-1740-1357202382.jpg

Have you given NZAD a look forum sponsor.

Remeber fellas there is such a thing as going too light on an s50 engine. Screws with the harmonic balance in the higher rpm ranges because of the longer crank design than most engines.

seeing as your car is ex racecar greg, high chance it already has a different flywheel?

seeing as your car is ex racecar greg, high chance it already has a different flywheel?

Dunno until i remove the box, doesn't appear to rev any faster than a normal S50?

Exactly, nice and light! From memory the price of it was within your budget.

You need to talk to MP Autoparts down here for a clutch, they are highly recommended and priced very well! Attached is a pic of S13 clutch they made for me - non sprung 5-Puk. They make them all in house and are priced well. They also did an uprated pressure plate for me. The best thing is even with the lightened flywheel, uprated pressure plate and non-sprung clutch the pedal feel is fso much softer than the after-market clutch that came out (sure it was Exedy).

Needs to be above six KGs other wise useless to me. How much did it weigh?

Have you given NZAD a look forum sponsor.

Didn't realise we had a sponsr like this?

Remeber fellas there is such a thing as going too light on an s50 engine. Screws with the harmonic balance in the higher rpm ranges because of the longer crank design than most engines.

Yep, six KGs is the limit from what i've read and your comments. These turner Motorsport ones are a turn on but I don't fancy ordering from the states, don't need the hassle at the moment.

Needs to be above six KGs other wise useless to me. How much did it weigh?

Didn't realise we had a sponsr like this?

Yep, six KGs is the limit from what i've read and your comments. These turner Motorsport ones are a turn on but I don't fancy ordering from the states, don't need the hassle at the moment.

I would hit Darren (NZAD) up first off.

And dealing with Turner is def. no hassle, and I've had many orders shipped across from them.

Thankyou, have contacted Darren, awaiting his responce.

Just had a browse on their site, real tasty equipment on there. Their flywheels are only 3.8kgs, can't help but think that will only cause issues? I'm looking around the 6-7kg mark.

Quite good pricing on there too but would still prefer to deal with someone closer to home.

Just had a browse on their site, real tasty equipment on there. Their flywheels are only 3.8kgs, can't help but think that will only cause issues? I'm looking around the 6-7kg mark.

Quite good pricing on there too but would still prefer to deal with someone closer to home.

They race & modify M3's...talk to Rob over there... I did...he is so knowledgeable

Silly question, they are US based i assume?

Greg mine weighs 5kg vs factory 13kg, but its custom so i don't see why they couldn't leave another kg on if you wanted 6kg....

On a side note when the manual conversion was done on my 323i E36 we went from dual mass to single mass flywheel (not sure on weights) but talk about a differece!!

E: I've also made orders with Turner Motorsport and they were great to deal with and the parts didn't take long to arrive.

Edited by bmpower

Darren returned my email last night. Great price for complete clutch and flywheel kit. He reckons only three kg difference in weight from factory which doesn't sound terribly huge amount?