Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

Anyone with a Bose lifestyle 38 or 48 system? SORTED Drive Cloned!

Long shot and I've searched high and low for this.

The HDD in my system crapped itself over Christmas so I pulled the thing out so I could still use it. Low and behold it's a crappy IDE 20Gb HDD - I wish I had cloned the damn thing before it shiat itself.

Bose wants $450 for what is essentially a decade old technology when I could just pop in a HDD myself for little less than $80. I however need all the firmware files on it so it would actually work.

If you have a system at home and is IT smart, can someone please clone their HDD for me (without the music files) and maybe burn me a copy - the files are apparently very small (just a bunch of folder systems and initiation files - couple of hundred KB only I believe.)

And yes I've searched high and low for these online ... nothing. Thanks.

Edited by M3_Power

if you need a replacement drive, i can do a 20GB unit for $20 to your door

also have 30GB 40GB through to 500GB and above options.

if you need a replacement drive, i can do a 20GB unit for $20 to your door

also have 30GB 40GB through to 500GB and above options.

Do you mean just a standard hdd or a hdd with the Bose data files on it that will make it run?

I have tons of IDE drives - it's the files on it that's important I am afraid ...

Do you mean just a standard hdd or a hdd with the Bose data files on it that will make it run?

I have tons of IDE drives - it's the files on it that's important I am afraid ...

sorry, drive only, should have been clearer. you just mentioned it was busted :)

I would have thought the files would be easy to obtain on the net. Is there any 3rd party BOSE repair agents in NZ/Aus? That you could get the files from?

And you should be paying him $20 to take the dirty old IDE drives. lol

Edited by driftit

I would have thought the files would be easy to obtain on the net. Is there any 3rd party BOSE repair agents in NZ/Aus? That you could get the files from?

I am a computer recycling company, i know what they are worth

Can't help with the image, but I'd go IDE controller to 32 gig flash drive next time round as it will only run on fat32 file system . Otherwise you can still get IDE av drives which may last past the 10 year mark or IDE controller to Sata drive if there is enough room in the Bose

Yeah $20 for a 20gb IDE is actually really well priced!!

I have tons of IBM T30 laptops for building GT1s, hence why I also have an abundance supply of IDE drives, and it just happens that the 40gb drives from the T30 is the identical model to the one in the BOSE ... lol.

No 3rd party BOSE repair agents in NZ unfortunately, just the official agent, ET Electronics - called them, wouldn't have a bar of sending me the files or sending me a drive. I had to send the machine in for them to repair - $450 for an outdated hdd ...

The files aren't any where on the net - I've looked and looked.

I am a computer recycling company, i know what they are worth

Good to know ... at least I know where to source good old dirty IDEs from for the future : )

Can't help with the image, but I'd go IDE controller to 32 gig flash drive next time round as it will only run on fat32 file system . Otherwise you can still get IDE av drives which may last past the 10 year mark or IDE controller to Sata drive if there is enough room in the Bose

That's the thing, there's hardly any room in there. Even the standard IDE drives don't actually fit, the model from Toshiba in the BOSE has about 1.5mm off one corner allowing it to fit properly.

I am going to throw an IDE SSD in there next.

UPDATE!

A nice fella from overseas sent me a link to his personal server, where he was kind enough to image his HDD for me ...

Downloaded the image, cloned the drive onto a spare 40gb IDE drive I had sitting around ... and bingo ... WORKED THE FIRST TIME around ... So here's the middle finger to BOSE NZ for wanting to rip customers off. Will never spend another dime with you.

Hi Tom, I was hoping you could help me out with the info and image.

I have sent you a PM.

I need these files. Can anyone share the files or the image please? thanks 

8 year old post that's obviously showing up in external searches. Locked.

Edited by Driftit