Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Project: The Unfamily Wagon

You have good taste in wheels... What's going on this next?

And do you still have the deep dish 2-piece ACS wheels pictured early on in your thread (because I would love to get my hands on some of those!)?

Thank you. Something a little less agressive offset and width wise but still cool none the less. Will post pics when they turn up.

Those were 3 piece replicas actually and no I sold them to some guy on Wellington. I was going to hold onto them if they didn't sell that week but they did. I would love some genuine ones too but they are pricey. I stumbled across some one night on an e46 and left a note asking to buy them but never got a repsonse :(

• Like 1

What rear spring rates are you running in your BC Golds? I have them in my e36 with factory 8kg spring rate in the rear and I thought it wasn't low enough. I've taken the spacers out and put the black ring insert in for extra lowering. Although my current wheels aren't very wide and tuck under the guards a bit. Was considering changing rear springs, but I'm gonna get some new wheels first and see what she sits like I think

Im running the same, 6/8. I also think it would be better suited to 10k springs in the rear mainly because the wagon has more booty than a coupe/sedan.

Other news, the wheels have been delayed a week so looking good for next week all going to plan.

Im running the same, 6/8. I also think it would be better suited to 10k springs in the rear mainly because the wagon has more booty than a coupe/sedan.

Other news, the wheels have been delayed a week so looking good for next week all going to plan.

Oh yeah, and what specs are the current wheels/tyres? Any rub with a good guard roll?

I think it already looks good with those wheels, can't wait to see the new ones then!

Oh yeah, and what specs are the current wheels/tyres? Any rub with a good guard roll?

I think it already looks good with those wheels, can't wait to see the new ones then!

Thanks mate. Yea it still rubs, better now that its had a wheel alignment but also think the higher rated springs will help with that.

Current wheels are 18x8.5 et13 215/35 up front, and 18x9.5 et21 225/40 on the rear. Ideally I want 225/35 on the rears as they are a bit chunky.

So I came to the realisation that as of last weekend I have owned this car for two years and got pretty much no where with it but progress is starting to happen a bit more frequently now. The last 6 months have been crazy for me personally but the good news is I now have a bit more spare cash to spend on it, yay! So much so I ended up with 4 cars.

20140906_130527_zpsib0ga55v.jpg

Since then I have sold the e46 and now use the 323 sedan as a daily. I picked up this very tidy 328 touring with a busted auto so out that came, thanks to my brother and the hoist at his work. Since I planned on doing a manual conversion on Monty, I need to find a use for the auto that is in it at the moment so it will go into Touring 2.0 and be used it as a daily

20140921_144912_zpsqyyial2d.jpg

20140921_144950_zpsq7qo3hhx.jpg

20140921_144934_zpsevehzqvc.jpg

1411175108173_zpsi713qrap.jpg

Also got hold of a staggered set of Throwing Stars :)

IMG-1402292311505-V_zpstsvbjwai.jpg

I'm think about polishing the lips, painting the covers a dark grey and putting them on the silver touring.

All of this has provided more motivation to get cracking on Monty so here how it sits as of today, prep'ed for gearbox removal hopefully next weekend.

20141030_183435_zpspldwqpbh.jpg

Recent purchases for it include a manual conversion kit from an m3 and a cat back zorst also from an m3. Once that is done, stage one will be complete and start saving for the next stage.

20141030_183505_zpsigjgfttl.jpg

• Like 2

So much touring goodness! Good to see progress on these two. Gutted I'm selling mine, she will be missed :(

You can never have too many tourings.

• Like 2

I ended up going with a 6 speed ;) Just have to sort a clutch and flywheel setup for it and it is all good to go.

interested in a barely used UUC evo 3 short shifter and DSSR linkage?

Gave a super short throw and a notchy feeling like a gated shifter, but I preferred the feel of a z3 short shift kit, so now it is surplus to requirements. Reduced shifter movement to 10mm either way while in gear, driving a worn e46 manual, it was like stirring a big pot of soup, nice to get back to a firm shift. check the uuc site.

uXfBaly.jpg

How come you prefer the z3 shifter? I had thought about going for a z3 shifter as well but will consider the UUC kit. Still got at least 6 or so weeks before the gearbox turns up to make a decision so will look into it.

the UUC kit is very precise, the shifts are very quick and clean.

The z3 short shift kit has slightly more play and has a less 'sporty' feel.

its personal preference really. my gearbox was out getting the clutch done and Ray chucked a z3 shifter in to see if it would help the 4th gear synchromesh crunch .. ended up preferring the z3 shifter over the UUC one .. so yeah, personal preference.

Spoke to a e36 m3 owner at the last UCC meet who brought a caged track m3, he uses the UUC evo3 shifter and linkage. He would have bought mine if not for the fact that he just ordered another one for his second car.

Cheers dude, will let you know if I decide to go that way.

Had a bad run of luck over the weekend - went to tow Touring 2.0 into my brothers work to get stuck into the auto swap and the 323 shitbox wouldn't start. Looks like a faulty starter motor. Currently have 3 cars none of which go. Think I might pay someone to fix it as I need a car ASAP.

However, I did manage to get towed in Monty which is the closest I have been to driving Monty in a long time. I enjoyed more than I thought I would so I'm super keen to get this thing back on the road. C'mon on the boat!!

any updates on Monty, Gareth?

On 31/12/2016 at 7:27 AM, Olaf said:

any updates on Monty, Gareth?

Sadly not as I've been distracted by house renos and the e30 vert. Have been picking up parts here and there though.

Manual conversion is almost done and then itll be off to get cert etc which hope to have done in a month or so.

awesome.  great to see it moving forward, despite the distractions of a normal life!  Looking forward to seeing pics.

On 02/01/2017 at 7:28 PM, Gaz said:

Sadly not as I've been distracted by house renos and the e30 vert. Have been picking up parts here and there though.

Manual conversion is almost done and then itll be off to get cert etc which hope to have done in a month or so.

Funny how time flies and never did get it done last year. Life has many twists and turns, and funnily enough, i have a child on the way due in May which has given me a kick up the arse to get it done so I can cart baby around. Probably need to rename the tread now haha

Conversion is all done, went to start it for the first time only for the fuel pump to have failed. A new 2nd hand one and fired up straight away for the first time in 3 years. Just waiting on a new master clutch cylinder before taking it on a drive. 

• Like 2

Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing the pics, man.

I finally finished your old silver one and sold it a few months back. Is back in chch now too. 

IMG_1012.JPG

On 3/11/2018 at 9:44 PM, euroriffic said:

I finally finished your old silver one and sold it a few months back. Is back in chch now too. 

Took you almost as long as me haha. I've seen it around and looks good!

It's all up and running now after a few minor hiccups. Going for a WOF sometime this week so wish me luck....

It would be great to see some photos as the original photos are dead now

If you are on a computer there is a chrome extension fix for that. Can't be arsed reloading them all but basic went from this;IMG_1010.thumb.JPG.5c796ec50ca89482f4c9c6b52d03b691.JPG

To this except now has 3 pedals

20131018_200911_zpsb37bd902.JPG.21d97dc5c59bbcc897dc7de29cdc5387.JPG

• Like 4

After 3 odd years off the road, it's back! Straight through the WOF, put the coilovers back in on the weekend. 

IMG_20180419_205655_929.thumb.jpg.96471fd968b045f9d5550211c7e4f4d7.jpg

Also had a nice surprise when installing the vaders and found out they are heated which come in handy for winter. Although I can't figure out the airbag wiring for the passenger seat. This small connector is on the passenger seat but doesnt match the seat mat sensor. Any idea what it is for?

20180403_184444.thumb.jpg.bfaf8f533980b0cd6823f8f63d96bdab.jpg

• Like 2