Sign in to follow this  
Drea//Mer

Thought i fried my ecu! help

Hey guys, turned the key for the first time on my engine swapped 318i today, got dash lights but when i went to start the car the starter went click and i lost power to everything!

The engine swap is an OBD1 1993 m50tub25 into a 1995/6 OBD2 318i e36, to i need to cut any wires to bypass the immobilizer?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also im not sure if these relays are oriented correctly... anyone got a working 325i for an example?

After messing around with the battery and interior lights i got dash lights back but im too scared to turn the key any further!!

Thanks

-Kieran

update:

im half blind!, not really but my face is burning.

The relays seem to be correctly oriented, starter motor is turning over... i wasnt sure if it was getting fuel so i undid a fuel line which had a lot of back pressure and spewed petrol all over my face =(.

I reversed the fuel lines to the fuel rail in case i had them backwards. Does it matter which way the fuel goes into the fuel rail?

Still hasnt started yet but its cranking which is progress. Im thinking theres a wire i need to snip for it to start (i've seen info on this before when others did OBD1 engine ->OBD2 chassis conversions)

another update, just in case anyone else has trouble with this sort of swap.

Got the engine running by cutting green wire #7 in the front 25pin engine harness plug, after some research i found

this is the signal wire for the ews system to tell the dme not to fire spark / inject fuel.

sorry for all the dumb questions! this is my 2nd engine swap and i have no mechanical training so im learning a lot

as i go..

Very pleased with my success today, the 325 motor roars with no exhaust!

-Kieran

At least there was no more face burning!

Well done!

My secong engine swap was a 1.8 auto Impreza to 2.0 manual - had to split and merge the two car looms... my wife was PISSED when she saw what I'd done :lol: It went back together OK though.