Sign in to follow this  
HELLBM

`Bulletproof` E46 330i

Just in today some ex. malaysia cars. Among them a 2003 330i low spec sedan except for the Climate comfort laminated glass all around, flat tyre warning system and only, yes only 835 miles (1340 km) on the odometer. Understandably is in mint cond. Cannot be complied so will be stripped for parts.

post-1470-1358924882.jpg

post-1470-1358924900.jpg

post-1470-1358924918.jpg

post-1470-1358925025.jpg

Yep!

Does this indicate that the mileage has maybe been tampered with?

tamper dot??

Yes you win the prize for the quickest off the rank.

More importantly where can the `bullet proof glass go` ? Who could find a use for it in NZ?

Would be interesting to know about the history of the car! Don't suppose you know anything Ray?

Ex Malaysia. Part of a large consignment of Mercs and BMW`s most uncompliable.

A couple of 645`s and `05 X5is 4.8 are others that could possibly be complied as special interest vehicles.

Does this indicate that the mileage has maybe been tampered with?

Correct.

Is there additional plating in the body of the car or is it just the laminated glass?

Is there additional plating in the body of the car or is it just the laminated glass?

Only the glass,front and all side,regulators and window seals show up as replacement parts.Laminated glass part no`sor maybe it is this:Safety Vehicle

Will check tomorrow.

More importantly where can the `bullet proof glass go` ? Who could find a use for it in NZ?

Whilst the windows are laminated, I would not want to rely on them being bullet proof. Climate comfort glass is a brochure option which is selected to keep the heat and UV down in the car by use of filters in the glass. Thicker than standard glass but nowhere near the bulletproof stuff which is about an inch thick.

Pretty sure there was never a Security version of the E46, which is what would have the full bullet proof stuff amongst others. This climate glass can be used in a standard E46 if seals and runners are changed. Clould be useful in sunny NZ and certainly would make it harder for low life's to break a side window and take your laptop!

I had that glass on my M5 in the Middle East - part of the "Gulf-spec". Also had a bigger radiator, tinted rear windows and a button on the HVAC that said "Max". When the mercury hits 50° you really rely on all those features. Needed cooled seats really. Glass was about 6mm thick. Not even close to bulletproof. Or IED-proof for that matter.

At a guess almost every Politician in New Zealand?