Sign in to follow this  
Ninjaspartan

330i e46 start up custom built supercharger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjsEVwFR1_Y

here it is finally. Has taken me some time to finish well almost finsh. Cant shut the bonnet if you can't tell. Cold start up idles fine. 2.5psi boost from calculations. has a leak which i have fixed now. have not taken for a drive yet. keep you posted.

• Like 1

Love the 'Kiwi' engineering :)

Water pipe bends and 3 core lighting flex for the sensor wiring :)

I know this is just for testing, but still bought a chuckle......

Went for a drive up our road, went fine until I went from WOT to closed and the hose popped off. Going to upgrade the bypass valve as it too small for the amount of air flow.

Yes the water hose bends are quite cheap but just wanted to test it. And the lighting wire works a treat haha.

More to come.

Interesting.

I looked into this when my car had its original M50 engine 3 years ago, seems the only way to do it properly with the bulkier style positive displacement chargers is to bin the stock manifold that takes up a large area and make up a new one to get the charger in a better position with support brackets etc.

Quite a bit of work is involved to get it all working reliably without any drawbacks I think, but I question whether or not they are as effective as the centrifugal units also available. With 2.5 PSI or so you're probably only just making enough power back that has been a parasitic loss cranking the charger around.

I used to be in favor of superchargers but in most cases a turbo setup is more cost effective & efficient than a supercharger setup.

What SC did you use and what pulley system? Must be quite custom to only put out 3psi