Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

SERVER DOWN TIME

Hi guys,

Currently doing some server work, it will be restarting on and off through out this weekend.

Expect the site to be on line and off line often.

Cheers

Bimmersport Admins

it may be a little slow while the backup runs

ok its f**ked - will need to find a better solution. more downtime!

Hokay ... sites now on a NEW server! Lets hope this one holds up a little better

We're missing about an hours worth of posts, as the old server popped it's clogs before I could get the last DB dump - still, an hours not too bad considering! ;)

There's still a couple of back end things I need to crack up still, but the majority of it all should be working.

An probs, I'm sure you'll all let me ono ;)

Yeah, mine's as quick, or quicker than before. Practically instant.

that was the toughest weekend to get through in a long time

Yessss....it was so hard, agreed to Andy, felt quite empty without it!

Well done guys - like a few other comments my daily visit to the site is habitual now and when down I was geting withdrawl syptoms - all good now

took ages to get meatspin.com out of my DNS cache on my phone ... thanks cliff

If you don't mind interested to know what happened??? but not all to technical thanks.

The server it was running on was nearly 10 years old. In its time it has run some of New Zealands top ten websites and while other servers have come and gone .. 'h2' has been the one to stick around.. It seems memory failure as everytime we tried to copy any decent file size .. it would literally hang. This is the main reason it took so long to come back on line.

This was after a pretty decent effort to use electrical cleaner clean and compressed air / reseat the ram and CPU.

Another issue potentially was the powersupply had just got old and was under volting the main board. Unfortunately the PSU was bespoke so couldnt be tested.

Anyways, its now sitting on some pretty grunty apple servers in a VM. Still has fibre connected etc.

took ages to get meatspin.com out of my DNS cache on my phone ... thanks cliff

You loved it ;)

Just had to explain to the wife what meatspin was .... told her it was better to 'experience' it.

....I think I'm getting a divorce now

Will done guys. Done more than my share of all nighters and data centre recoveries. Thought about running on VMware in the Clould ? Can make it easy to turn up performance when needed and scale back when demand is low. Providers like rackspace.com can be quite cost effective.

This is what its on now :) Not just any old one either .. hence the speed increase. Im strongly against hosting big sites (busy forums) on overseas DCs. NZ international pipe makes it quite latent ..