Sign in to follow this  
evil_elmo

E92 M3 buyers guide?

Im thinking to buy a e92 m3 about mid/late this year but it seems to be abit hard to find a buyers guide for his model.

When researching on e46 m3 there was so much information about this model and the huge amounts of faults with this generation, ie sub frame, smg pumps, vanos...etc

so with the e92 M3...

1. what are the common problems? or known issues?

2. what is factory equipment on new zealand new models? and what are optional extra?

3. 2010 was the LCI, i know the tail lights changed to LED and the headlight changed, but i dont see any difference?? also idrive was upgraded. Is there anything else?

any other insight on this car would be great

thanks

Seems I've been summoned : )

The biggest fault with the E9X M3 is the fuel economy .... I kid you not ... be prepared to own a petrol station should you ever get into one!!! My humble advice .... DON'T!!

If going for the dual clutch model, they aren't as problematic as SMG in terms of mechanical and hydraulic issues - but there is A LOT of software issues with the DCT - I am not even sure if it has been fixed yet.

The gearbox is inherently weak in the E9X M3 - it's a ZF unit, not a Getreg and if driven hard the gearboxes are known to crunch (first to second especially - shift at redline and expect to hear an all familiar grinding sound) The gearbox just doesn't like to be rushed, drive it slow and it'll be fine - similarly the clutch (they don't last long at all!!).

The V8 has engine issues also - big end bearing (sound familiar!!) - it seems to be a trend with the high revving BMWs. But drive it hard and if you hear bottom end knocking, walk away ... - the oil gully design apparently starves the bearings when the oil thins out ... and you start to get the tick tick tick ... tack tack tack knocking noise with them. No particular year where the cars are affected apparently (as even now if you do a search of the forums you'll read about it - mine had it and I know a couple of cars have had engine replaced as a result), but just listen for it if you are buying one.

Did I mention the gearbox is weak? ...

The diff and half shafts can also cause issues - mine had a undiagnosable problem that BMW NZ couldn't track down (metalic knock on take off) - It went to them 3 times and in the end they said it might be the diff, it might be the half shaft .. and it might also be the gearbox. Cure ... nothing .... they didn't want to fix it as they couldn't pin point what was causing the noise.

Rest of the car is lovely and it's an easy car to live with day to day - great fit and finish inside and very comfortable, easy to drive around in slow or if in the mood stupidly.

Look for the orange peel in the paint - they came like that from the factory due to the new eco friendly water base system now used - if the paint is smooth and mirror like, it has been repainted - period.

If you take it to the track, take an extra 20 litres ... you'll need it by about 11am after a 2 hour session. If you get more than 120km to a tank at a track day you are going too slow!!

Just remember 95% of the suspension on it is aluminium (including the shocks), so easily bent (including the rear bottom arm, which incidentally is the only non aluminium bit - this gets bent easily for no apparent reason).

Good luck!!But my humble advice ... buy a 1M over a M3 .... It's more economical, rarer, faster and has less issues.

Edited by M3_Power

NZ had 2 models .. the HP and the SE

Basically the cars were all loaded with every single option you could think of ... the HP gained the electronic adjustable dampers (so soft, normal and track), 19 inch wheels and also they were delimited for top speed. Otherwise both cars were indentical.

The LED tail lights look different - look at the back when they light up they are completely different - I believe the LED also had brake force lighting (ie. they light up differently under emergency braking).

Brand new the SE retailed for $168,000, the HP retailed for $182,000 - most owners that bought new lost about $65,000 in the first year.

The facelift idrive is hard drive based with better menus and functionality whereas the old was only DVD based navigation and a simpler menu structure. The new iDrive is much nicer in my opinion.

Standard options included:

full leather, iDrive with navigation and TV function, bluetooth, M dynamic mode, Sport/power button (different throttle map), front and reverse sensors, auto wiper and lights, courtesy LED lighting, Xenon headlights and washer system, carbon roof (unless sunroof model), 18 or 19 inch wheels with Michelin Sport 2 tyres.

Wow, you make it sound like a terrible car! I would take a 1M too. I'm fortunate enough to see one near-daily and have been for a ride in it too. Such a great car.

Wow, you make it sound like a terrible car! I would take a 1M too. I'm fortunate enough to see one near-daily and have been for a ride in it too. Such a great car.

I can roughly describe the three years ownership as:

first half of first year - loved it - what a great combination of fun ride and comfort.

second half of first year - getting a little bit dull ... why the fook does it use so much fuel!!?? What's up with this gearbox? What's the ticking noise in the engine bay?

Second year ownership - Fook ... I've just lost 55% of what I paid for it !!! Why the fook does it use so much fuel??

beginning of third year ownership - I best get rid of it quickly before it loses another 45% in value!!! Fook why does it use so much fuel!!???

middle of third year ownership - why the fook does no one want to buy this car!!!! Even tried giving it away to dealerships and they don't want it!! Fook I hate filling this car up .... what's up with the diff, gearbox !!

Trades the car in ..... phew!!! finally got rid of the car!!

I've not gone a day where I've regretted getting rid of it ... if anything it was a huge relief!!

It's not a terrible car, it's just not a particularly good one in my opinion and for the money some dealerships are still commanding, you are way better off buying a 1M ... way better off!!

Edited by M3_Power

Thank you Tom for sharing your experience with us it is very satisfying to me to have some one lay it out like you have done. Do the faults you mentioned raise their head in the standard E90 range petrol/ diesel versions or only the M3 etc.

Just what i wanted, you're a legend Tom!

i didnt think there were so many problems with his model. I have only heard people over at m3post/m3forum complain about the bad fuel consumption otherwise they all rave about how great of a car it is.

does the factory bmw warranty cover all of those problems? as i would be selling it after the warranty runs out...as you know fixing M cars are not cheap

with city driving how my km would you get out of a tank?

i like the 1M but not liking it enough to buy one...any opinion on the C63 AMG?

Thank you Tom for sharing your experience with us it is very satisfying to me to have some one lay it out like you have done. Do the faults you mentioned raise their head in the standard E90 range petrol/ diesel versions or only the M3 etc.

Good to know that my feedbacks aren't seen as too negative - intention is to provide my feedback on a car as I've personally experienced. I don't abuse my cars and probably over service them, and I think I am reasonable driver - the gearbox is known issue on the M3 - so are most of the ones I pointed out. I was just lucky to experience most of them in my one !!

Compared to the E46, the E9X do have less issues. The other surprising bit to me however is how cheap E9X parts are when compared to the E46 (and I buy "a lot" of parts - just ask Bevan at Team McMillan parts haha) - so in actual fact the E9X is cheaper to maintain to a certain extent when compared like for like.

Most of the issues I mentioned above are M3 specific, I do know that the earlier E9X diesels also have their own issues, the later ones less so The twin turbo models also have a lot of issues with the turbo and fuel pump - so be weary of those - all well discussed and reported on forums (and experienced first hand by my brother!)

Just what i wanted, you're a legend Tom!

i didnt think there were so many problems with his model. I have only heard people over at m3post/m3forum complain about the bad fuel consumption otherwise they all rave about how great of a car it is.

does the factory bmw warranty cover all of those problems? as i would be selling it after the warranty runs out...as you know fixing M cars are not cheap

with city driving how my km would you get out of a tank?

i like the 1M but not liking it enough to buy one...any opinion on the C63 AMG?

Happy to help!

I used to get about 6.8km to a litre in the E92 M3 and that's driving it like a sissy and never putting my foot down .... take another km to 1.5km out of that range if you put your foot down every now and then. On the track you get about 1.9km to a litre.

The C63 AMG is even worse .... it gets about 6.4km to a litre - plus it chews tyres (tyres last about 15,000km max) - my mother has one and she drives like a nanny and even with her driving it chews tyres and guzzles fuel.

However I'd happily pay for the fuel in the C63, but not the M3 ... one listen to both engines independently and you'll get what I am going on about!!

It's a shame the S65B40 wasn't direct injection. If it was it'd have been way more economical

i drove a 2012 DCT m3 last year and i loved it, the DCT felt far better than the SMG and overall the car feels a lot more modern and refined than the e46 m3. After that i said to myself its time for a upgrade.

But now i'm abit more on the fence if the e92 m3 would be my next car or not

thanks again tom

Seems I've been summoned : )

Epic post !

Needs to be a sticky.

;)

Not a fan of SMG or DCT.

BMW - if you are going to make 2 pedal cars give them full sized brake pedals !

Edited by oldtimer

Another perspective.....

I've had a e92 335i and currently drive a e90 M3 MT. So I've had all the turbo/wastegate/HPFP issues of the turbo 6, and then had engine noise issues in the M3.

Overall, the M3 has been a much better ownership experience than the 335 - the V8 engine is simply sublime. Yes, i'm sitting on 14.5l/100kms most of the time - but I don't care. Fuel is for burning. The sound of the S65 at 8300rpm spanks the sound of any inline 6 turbo - I love it. Performance on the top end is pretty epic too.

There are issues with the M3 - it loves fuel and rear tyres - but if you are concerned about that - you should buy a 320d.

It is true that some people have had issues with the gearbox and diff, but mine is a July 2007 build and I haven't had a problem at all. Depends I guess.

What I have had is a new engine. Mine developed this knock at startup which I recorded and had the dealership send to Germany. Long story short, Germany sent me a new engine under warranty. Happy with that.

Since the new engine went in, I haven't had a single issue with the car - it is great. I put fuel in it, drive, get it serviced when it wants it. One of the best machines I own.

I've spent a whole lot of time in a 1M - and they are very impressive - but, and for me this is going to be a major issue with the new turbo M3, the turbo lag is shite. Throttle response is rubbish compared with the M3 V8 - the 1M may feel faster, but I'm pretty sure they are within a hair of each other, and it is pretty small and pokey. This turbo era is just going to piss me off unless they get rid of the lag. My 335 had lag and I liked the car less for it.

Would I buy another e9x M3? Hell yes. If I don't like the new turbo 6 M3/4, I'll get into the latest model e92 M3 I can find. I want to avoid the turbo lag lifestyle these manufacturers are leading us down. Yuck.

C63 AMG? Only the newer coupe for me, the 4 door looks cheesy, but the engine is pretty awesome. While the auto is surprisingly good, it is still an auto.

Good luck!

Another perspective.....

Yes, i'm sitting on 14.5l/100kms most of the time - but I don't care. Fuel is for burning. The sound of the S65 at 8300rpm spanks the sound of any inline 6 turbo - I love it. Performance on the top end is pretty epic too.

I agree, at your consumption rate, bassed on 40,000km a year you are only spending an extra $1000 a year on fuel than a 325i driver, that's bugger all in the grand scheme of things if you get to drive around in a V8 M3 that makes noises second to only the best Italian sports cars its a small price to pay :)

Tyres are expensive on most modern performance cars and if you have the 18" wheels on the M3 you can get good tyres cheap enough.

Having had your engine issues and knowing what can go wrong, would you say you would be hesitant to own one out of the BMW factory warranty?? I know that is no concern to you but please humor the situation a few of us lesser financially endowed.

Thanks E90 M3.

I read your complete thread on the engine start up noise you had on m3post after tom pointed it out. I was abit shocked on how many people had the same problem but was great news that bmw replaced the engine for you.

Also with so many people having this problem or having this problem with not knowing about it, none has had any engine failures from the result of this noise.

fuel consumption is a worry for me BUT my daily driver is a e46 m3 and its all city driving, i only avg 15.5l/100km...not sure if the e92 m3 would be that much worst.

as for a C63 i'm still waiting for one to turn up for me to test drive, at the moment the E92 M3 is still on the top of my list and waiting for one to turn up at the bmw dealership at the right price hahaha

Thanks E90 M3.

I read your complete thread on the engine start up noise you had on m3post after tom pointed it out. I was abit shocked on how many people had the same problem but was great news that bmw replaced the engine for you.

Also with so many people having this problem or having this problem with not knowing about it, none has had any engine failures from the result of this noise.

fuel consumption is a worry for me BUT my daily driver is a e46 m3 and its all city driving, i only avg 15.5l/100km...not sure if the e92 m3 would be that much worst.

as for a C63 i'm still waiting for one to turn up for me to test drive, at the moment the E92 M3 is still on the top of my list and waiting for one to turn up at the bmw dealership at the right price hahaha

I would highly recommend the M3 - I know there have been engine noises, but nobody has ever had an actually failure. The crank/bottom end shells were changed in 2008 for manufacturing to a slightly newer design. (See realoem for the new part numbers and dates)

The fuel consumption thing will be in the ballpark with your e46. I have a friend who just bought a e90 M3 and he averages 14.9l/100km for all city driving. It's more than a 335 or 320d - but if you are already in that ballpark with the e46, no stress.

The C63 4-door just doesn't have the directness and sharp steering of the M3. I absolutely love the M3 steering/brakes/throttle response because of the way I drive. The C63 is a monster in a straight line, but it doesn't spank the M3, it noses ahead. Call it close enough for city driving.

The C63 coupe on the other hand is a much sharper steerer than the 4 door and has a very good feel to it chassis wise. It is still an auto, so the M3 DCT just feels more direct. (Mine is a manual transmission, that's how I roll, old school)

All in all, the M3 won't leave you on the side of the road broken down, it's pretty damn good. If you buy it through a BMW dealer, then I'm pretty sure they can offer third party mechanical insurance for the big items like engine/gearbox etc - just for piece of mind.

this one seems like a good buy for 70k

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-565213406.htm

....but do prefer to buy one at the dealer so i can get the warranty which will cover genuine parts and piece of mind if something that does go wrong

you think its better to buy now or wait until the m4 announcement which should drop the e92 price?

The fuel consumption thing will be in the ballpark with your e46. I have a friend who just bought a e90 M3 and he averages 14.9l/100km for all city driving. It's more than a 335 or 320d - but if you are already in that ballpark with the e46, no stress.

Have you ever owned an E46 M3? Because I've owned one since 2000 and in the CSL I am averaging 11.4l/100km and have seen numbers as low as 10.8l/100km - none of the ones I've owned have ever had an everage worse than 12.4l/100km, most of the time it's in the 11 litre range.

My brother had an E90 335i and he was averaging about 10.4l/100km in his 2 year ownership.

When I had my E92 M3 I have never seen anything lower than 14.7l/100km and that's pussy footing it ... any burst of acceleration and it'd be up in the 15.Xl/100km range ... I've even gone a full month as a test to try and get the fuel consumption as low as possible and I've never ever seen consumption figures remotely close to an E46 M3 - the whole new M3 is more economical than the outgoing model was nothing more than marketing.

For me anyway, the performance simply didn't justify the consumption.

It is a nice car and there are aspects of it I still really like, but like you said, if you are buying it for consumption purposes, look elsewhere (or perhaps missing the point).

you think its better to buy now or wait until the m4 announcement which should drop the e92 price?

I am at two minds about this - if you are comparing it on paper the new car will trump the old for sure ... if you aren't in a hurry I'd wait till the new car come out before making a choice on whether to get into the old V8 or the new twin turbo.

my daily driver is a e46 m3 and its all city driving, i only avg 15.5l/100km

I see similar numbers (14-16) for all city driving. Open road's around 10-11.

I am at two minds about this - if you are comparing it on paper the new car will trump the old for sure ... if you aren't in a hurry I'd wait till the new car come out before making a choice on whether to get into the old V8 or the new twin turbo.

did the e46 m3 get hit with a big price drop when the e92 m3 was released?

I see similar numbers (14-16) for all city driving. Open road's around 10-11.

i started using fuelly.com to track my fuel usage and 15.5l/100km was my average with 14.7l/100km being my best...a few years ago i drove down to queenstown from chch and i got 7.8l/100km which was sweet!

did the e46 m3 get hit with a big price drop when the e92 m3 was released?

i started using fuelly.com to track my fuel usage and 15.5l/100km was my average with 14.7l/100km being my best...a few years ago i drove down to queenstown from chch and i got 7.8l/100km which was sweet!

There is a possibility that the mint e9x M3s will hold their value after the new M3/M4 comes out. I know a few potential buyers like myself who are going to wait and see if the turbo 6 is any good - and maybe jump on the mint V8s instead. It's a punt. JCBMW are banking on us jumping in on the first ones - but I'm hanging back because the e9x is so good. (And I want to hear proper induction and exhaust noise when I put my foot in - not a muffled turbo 6)

M3s use more fuel than standard 3 series cars. There you go. How much more? It depends how you drive. If you care about that question - get a 320d or 335d. There you go, fuel discussion sorted.

I am looking at a 2011 M3 and have read through your posts. I would really like to know if your opinions have changed towards the later model V8 reliability and what you think of the F80 as a comparison? Also, now that the factory warranty will have expired will a 3rd party warranty cover me enough? Note: work pays for fuel, so thats not an issue.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Im thinking to buy a e92 m3 about mid/late this year but it seems to be abit hard to find a buyers guide for his model.When researching on e46 m3 there was so much information about this model and the huge amounts of faults with this generation, ie sub frame, smg pumps, vanos...etcso with the e92 M3...1. what are the common problems? or known issues?2. what is factory equipment on new zealand new models? and what are optional extra?3. 2010 was the LCI, i know the tail lights changed to LED and the headlight changed, but i dont see any difference?? also idrive was upgraded. Is there anything else?any other insight on this car would be greatthanks

Did you end up buying a V8 and if so would you share your experience for someone who is considering one?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

If anyone has any updates on their experiences with E92 M3's, would love to know, particularly any that have done relatively high km's (100k plus). Do these cars become a maintenance nightmare once they tick over 100,000km's?

Rod bearings are an issue