Sign in to follow this  
evil_elmo

E92 M3 buyers guide?

I had the opportunity to drive a modified e92 335i in the US a couple of years ago. It had m3 suspension components and upgraded shocks of some type. It also had an LSD. The engine was a custom tuned JB4 according to the owner. Anyway the upshot was a 335i with m3 suspension and just over 400hp, but a shed load of torque. Was it an m3 beater? Hard to say but compared to the M3 I had driven in Wellington a few weeks before it had to be at least as fast. Handling wise I thought the 335i was very buttoned down, perhaps more so that the M3. That said it's hard to make a fair judgement as the cars were in different countries, different conditions etc. The conclusion for me was that for under 30k I could have a car that was M3 like for half the price and without the engine reliability issues. Not that 335is don't have there own issue's but it seems like the engine itself is pretty solid.

That 335i in Las Vegas was my inspiration for what I am doing now, goal was 400hp, good daily driver, track day capable handling in a car with modern features, safety and style. All for less than 30k. Looks like I will get there for 26k.

2013 M3 PURE FIVE YEAR OWNERSHIP

Stumbled across this post and figured I could add my two cents worth.  Took delivery of my new M3 Pure, one of twenty, in 2013 and sold it a short while ago to avoid Phil Goff's tax.

In deference to Tom, who obviously knows these cars well and much better than I do, I've made a couple of further observations of my own after running the car for 5 years.

First, the good stuff, the engine... It can well pull the skin of a milk pudding and make a decent noise doing it in pretty damn fine comfort. Some reviews bagged the stereo, can't imagine why, never used it when driving and it seemed perfectly good at standstill. Honestly, if you rate this car on the stereo, you've got the wrong end of the stick completely and should get a Toyota Camry.

It's certainly a smart looking vehicle without being too ostentatious or blingy, so you won't feel overly self-conscious driving around in it, although it's pretty intimidating at full noise. Seats four comfortably with a pretty generous boot too, skis through the middle of the back seats, which can fold down completely as well, so it will take lots of gear.

Now some of the Ok stuff. The DCT does a wicked gear change, you couldn't do a manual change quicker, however it does clonk quite a lot along with the rear end (never bothered me, the manual refers to it), particularly at low speeds (e.g. intersections and parking manoeuvrers). After discovering the little rocker switch below the shift selector wasn't the stereo speaker balance, I always put it on 3 bars around town for pleasant tractability.

Sure, it used gas, however I managed much better than Tom with 10litres/100Km on a 4,700km (ave 75km/h) trip around the South Island. Overall, I still got around 11.5 including city driving over 5 years and, believe me, it got the occasional caning. Besides, the entire thrill of this car is booting it from standstill and out of corners, not the theoretical top speed. Incidentally, trick for new players, the speedo goes in 20k increments to 120k, then 30k to 150/180 where you can find yourself in a remarkably short space of time!

Tom's gas consumption might come from permanently using "M" mode, which has those funky gear change lights etc., but I found it mostly just used more gas and turned the steering leaden. I only used it on special occasions and on deserted roads, so not much, three bars was usually fine.

Drivers who don’t bother manually changing down to overtake (i.e. most of us) will discover the DCT takes slightly longer to change than you would like, often causing a slightly alarming torque lurch when it does. For best results, change down yourself, but then you have to decide whether to indicate or not, so do what all euro drivers do and flick the wipers on instead.

Finally, the bad stuff, the engine... this really is the worst thing about this car. The conspiracy theorists (American of course) have it that these engines are preprogramed to self-destruct within hours of coming out of warranty. Well, I can vouch for the fact that that is pretty much when the engine in my car started making disturbing noises, which got progressively worse over the next eighteen months. No problem, got a FIVE year extended warranty, haven’t I..?

Well, it is a problem actually, because unless the thing actually blows up... they ain't going to fix it. Oh, they tried and tried for months with it in their workshop to fix it, but to no avail. I think the final conclusion, based on the combined wisdom of all the experts, was that it must be my fault... so take your car and sod off..!

So, I did and, like Tom, I got rid of it. I totally echo Tom's sentiments upon trading in his M3 V8..!

• Like 3

What's an "M3 Pure" BTW?

We saw an X5 "Black Fire Edition" or something like that the other day. FFS BMW, pull your heads in and get some class.

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

What's an "M3 Pure" BTW?

We saw an X5 "Black Fire Edition" or something like that the other day. FFS BMW, pull your heads in and get some class.

They need to cater for those that don’t.

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, M3AN said:

What's an "M3 Pure" BTW?

The E92 M3 Pure was a limited edition of 20 units specifically produced for New Zealand, with most of the optional extras taken out of the car, to give a more "Pure" driving experience. This term has been applied to a number of editions in various markets around the world with this same theme.

The X5 M was indeed a Black Fire Edition, interesed in your comment about "class" in this context, and also BreakMyWindow's similar view, care to elaborate?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The X5 M was indeed a Black Fire Edition, interesed in your comment about "class" in this context, and also BreakMyWindow's similar view, care to elaborate?

It's a stupid, meaningless, naff name. Sounds like a special edition somebody would put out for a F&F movie.

Also the two words, "Black" and "Fire", are utterly meaningless together unless it's referring to a cartoon character (but that's one word).

We should have seen this coming when some idiot decided to incorrectly call a 4 door car a coupe. They're clearly being led by a misguided marketing team. BMW was better when they were engineering led.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep they gotta try and capture all those market segments in this day and age. They will ride on their coattails for as long as they can.

On 8/14/2018 at 1:18 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The E92 M3 Pure was a limited edition of 20 units specifically produced for New Zealand, with most of the optional extras taken out of the car, to give a more "Pure" driving experience. This term has been applied to a number of editions in various markets around the world with this same theme.

Hey, thanks "Jon the Pom" for coming to my defence... it was never my idea to call it "Pure", but this thread is about M3s afterall. It was assembled in April 2013, so about the very last of the M3 V8s to come out of the factory.

Anyway, if you think that was naff, what about the salesman who reckoned the DCT was a "clutchless manual"..! Eh..?

Needless to say, I bought it off someone else, although it turned out an ominous prescience to the appalling service and record keeping by the technical service staff for this car.

Again, I'm just so glad to be shot of it..!

Edited by rangilight

Eek! This car is out to haunt me... yesterday girlfriend points out M3 prominently displayed in front of cafes on Browns Bay waterfront boulevard and says cheerily "hey that looks like your car... what was your rego again..?"

Makes a change from it being semi-permanently parked in the BMW dealer's workshop I suppose.

Thought I'd expunged it from memory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

this post made m3 e92 sound real bad. Even though i understand some people had poor experience - i had mine since 2016 and aside service it needed nothing. mine is a NZ new 6 speed manual with all bells and whistle ( TV, Bluetooth, DSC etc etc) and everything is original and factory. i thought it with full service history and now i drive 5-8k a year and service it once a year and been superbly great. Yes it is thirsty but complains on Rod bearing - lucky not to  have it yet. currently my car sitting at 110ks and clutch is the only replacement aside battery done by previous owner. Fuel economy - yes it's thirsty but u don't buy these cars for economy anyway. If you want to enjoy the v8 and a bit of power around the country road or on track - the cost of fuel is nothing. I did upgrade the M4 but luckily didn't sell mine first and after driving for 2 months - i didn really enjoy the inline 6 turbo  experience. it was faster but didn't feel anything super special. E92 generation m3 is by far a very comfortable M3 ever made. yes it comes with issued like all sports car but the experience is just unbeatable. 1M - for that design i would not own the car. it feels fast and may be it but hey so does honda at 60km/h it feels like doing 200 km/h :P

If anyones thinking of getting it - i would highly recommend it.

• Like 1

I've been casually looking at E92 M3s for a couple of weeks now, not getting close to a purchase yet but maybe in the next 6 months or so, I'll be keeping an eye on prices but for those who have been watching them for a while, do you think they are still falling or have they bottomed out? 

I think I'd be after a non sunroof coupe with a manual gearbox, edc seems like a good idea but potentially costly to replace in the future if have thought, any other must have spec? 

Am I weird in that I'd want 18 inch wheels? They seem to be the choice handling wise and I think they look better.... 19s are pretty good as well, 20s look silly to me. 

Karter16's Totally Legit and Definitely Not at All Biased Guide to Buying an E92 M3

Step 1: Buy an E46 M3 instead.

The End ?

• Haha 1

Shuey’s guide to buying an E92 M3.  Do the research, do a lot of research, find the right car (not so easy now, took me the thick end of three years), if and when you do find the right car, buy it!  You won’t be disappointed.  2010 NZ new Competition Pack, 53K kms now.  Owned it for just over a year and have no intention of ever selling it.  DCT with GTS software upgrade (super quick gear changes and no problem with reverse), EDC, etc.  Love it.  Don’t daily it and don’t care about fuel consumption.  Mine sits on late 11’s to early 12’s. I am not known for having a light right foot.   Have owned E36 M3’s, not E46, but I have driven E46.  Great car.  But, for sheer driving pleasure, sure footed handling, an engine sound to die for, it’s E92 all the way for me.  

7430552B-3A7E-4572-BDFE-59C13904B612.jpeg

Edited by shuey
  • Like 1

Does look sharp... doing young 12's with only the trans flash, on street tyres? That's pretty sweet.

On a cruise from Mercer (fuel stop - car and containers as we can’t buy 98 here) to Whangarei at motorway cruising speeds and occasional outburst on the open road, around 230 kms, wait for it, 8.4.  But, short trips around town, plus thrashing it sees that rise to 12.

• Like 1

Try driving in Auckland traffic and watch it hit 18 :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No thanks.  Bad enough passing through the place. 

• Haha 2