Sign in to follow this  
sascha

Internet security downloads

My Norton Internet Security has expired and I'm looking to download a new one.

If I try to update it through my existing Norton, then it takes me to Norton.com and comes up with a price of $69.99 for a year of Norton 360, but on websites such as this: Visit My Website it looks like I can get the same thing for half the price.

Can I trust websites like this, or should I fork out and get it straight from Norton?

Since I've already started a thread about this, I may as well ask what your opinions are regarding Norton Internet Security vs. Norton 360?

Or is there another one I should look at instead?

Norton is a virus. It pops up windows asking for your credit card, makes your computer slow and is unnecessarily difficult to delete from your PC. All of which is some of the definition of a computer virus

Download Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, has widely been acclaimed as being the best, is updated constantly, is virtually invisible and doesn't slow down your computer. I've been using it for a long time on a lot of PCs and never had any trouble.

Don't give Norton or any others any more of your money.

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials, never had a problem yet. But I don't explore dodgy websites either. In saying that, it would be interesting to try another software to see if there is anything on here that Security Essentials isn't picking up.

And one more thing, stop using IE and move to Chrome. Your whole life will be better.

I run nothing. never had any noticable problems / slowdowns / rouge softwares that know of.

brb, computer is part of bot net.

Did you know if your home Internet is with Telecom, you get McAfee free?

Caution with this. Their last packaging was crap and caused system crashes and was recalled.It got repackaged but I still get system crashes on a hi end pc that never had issues before installing their antivirus. Need to also do something about a replacement.

Thanks for the advice guys, my laptop came with Norton, so I was just going to get the same again because I hadn't experienced any problems.

I'll look in to the Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm already using Chrome, so much better than IE!

Caution with this. Their last packaging was crap and caused system crashes and was recalled.It got repackaged but I still get system crashes on a hi end pc that never had issues before installing their antivirus. Need to also do something about a replacement.

Which software are you talking about here Neal? The Microsoft one, or Norton?

Cheers

I've used AVG (free) for yonks it's brilliant and I DL a ton of stuff.

Was bought out by microsoft a few years back and it's the same engine they now use in their security essentials.

because of the seamless OS integration of security essentials into the winOS I highly recommend it.

** I work in IT fraud/security for a major bank

Thanks for the advice guys, my laptop came with Norton, so I was just going to get the same again because I hadn't experienced any problems.

I'll look in to the Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm already using Chrome, so much better than IE!

Which software are you talking about here Neal? The Microsoft one, or Norton?

Cheers

Xtra's packaging of mcafee

Xtra's packaging of mcafee

McAfee in general is pretty terrible. I used to have it too, and it completely destroyed the small amount of performance my poor computer had. Took ages just to start up. With Security Essentials, you don't even notice. It starts up before anything else on the taskbar, and is literally a split second. It's just so well integrated with windows.

Yeah Security Essentials or AVG IMO. I have AVG and I don't even notice it's there.

As long as you aren't visiting stupid websites and smart about what links you click on websites, ads, emails etc you should never run into problems..

You only need a 3rd party firewall if you are running pre win7.

Win7 has a effective 2 way firewall. It's integrated and doesn't break.

I've seen plenty of zonelalarm failures in my time.

Thats why I run 7 instances of zonealarm, highly unlikely they will all fail at the same time.

come @ my cookies hackers.

I got mine from these guys. Came in OEM packaging, 12 months updates, and no issues using it or the activation code. Better than $70 on the Symantec website.

It's a good deal but I suspect they weren't supposed to be sold like that. (as in sold with a new computer only) I guess grab it while you can.

lol, I thought you guys were joking about norton.....

Seriously, NOD32 or MSE are the only two worth looking at.

the rest can suck my d*ck.

I dumped AVG and AVAST when I realised how slow my computers were getting.

I'm not really a Microsoft fan, but only use Microsoft security essentials - doesn't seem to slow my stuff down at all, and some of my PC's are 8 years old.

Get a Mac

:ph34r:

not the be all answer anymore my friend.

PC's are getting harder and the crims are getting diminishing returns.

I've dealt with more mac users infected with malware this year already than the previous two combined.

you have been warned

I've always been die-hard Windows. But I'm on my second Mac now. The thing is, it drives me CRAZY.

Being a student, most of the University IT programs I use for my degree require Windows, so I either have to do it at Uni or use my girlfriend's computer.

I'm at the point where I'm going to go back to Windows in the next month ...

I like Macs because of the aesthetic and ease of use, everything else is a PITA.

Out of interest... What have people been doing to get viruses on their Mac? :blink:

Basically, throw your spindle based HDD in the bin. Actually open the computer right now and rip it out and put it in the trash.

Then go get an SSD drive and install.

your virus scanner will never even bother you ever again its so fast.

Out of interest... What have people been doing to get viruses on their Mac? :blink:

most wouldn't admit but it's the same stuff PC ppl were doing. it's just upto now the overwhelming majority of malware was written for windows because it had the largest market share and had the most security holes.

Now neither is true.

So malware writers are exploiting vunerabilities in other software. Mac OS / adobe / Java / android

Basically, throw your spindle based HDD in the bin. Actually open the computer right now and rip it out and put it in the trash.

Then go get an SSD drive and install.

your virus scanner will never even bother you ever again its so fast.

Definitely need an SSD here. My mate's got one and his computer is WAAY faster