Sign in to follow this  
euroriffic

97 M3 EVO tidy up

Justin, I never had that sort of hesitation. The flat spot I had was only noticeable on the dyno sheet read out.

But remember I had the car tuned for the exhaust changes

20 minutes ago, sweetm3 said:

Justin, I never had that sort of hesitation. The flat spot I had was only noticeable on the dyno sheet read out.

But remember I had the car tuned for the exhaust changes

It has always been there slightly, but is much more noticeable now.

had a look at your exhaust again and only difference  is where and size of the merg really.

When it went back to have another dyno run after exhaust and Intake he didn’t bother since it had that miss which he put down to the intake making turbulent air and messing with the maf. Tried some pipe to get the filter away from the maf and just shifted at what point the miss was. So changed the filter to the current fram one with a different internal cone  but is still there. 

after the first problem (when changed back to the factory exhaust) I thought it could be the O2 sensors since I haven’t done them, so replaced them and no real difference. 

Heres a couple of dyno runs it’s done. First full oe and was run in 4th, not 5th, Hense the higher output. Second was on same type of dyno, but with the rear box on and in 5th. Need to get a better version of it with more detail.

B1C3809E-283A-40EE-AB69-6C7A2B917133.thumb.jpeg.5b177a327c9eac971995efa14926e7fa.jpeg9E05374C-4A8F-4900-897D-DDDD7F1C3222.thumb.jpeg.0ece4b7fd88818ae1168baf6b359a9b2.jpeg069A1347-DD53-4B75-8C02-F7E3686D134E.thumb.jpeg.14a576aa63f65747e662a4db74bd51dc.jpeg

Nice power, I'm jealous.  210 ?

My understanding is that the CAI intake makes bugger all difference, 2 or 3kws. But with cold air feed from the brake duct. Your using cold/ambient temp rather air heated by the engine.

It's more for the induction sound.

How different is your CAI to mine ( photo in part 1)

25 minutes ago, sweetm3 said:

Nice power, I'm jealous.  210 ?

My understanding is that the CAI intake makes bugger all difference, 2 or 3kws. But with cold air feed from the brake duct. Your using cold/ambient temp rather air heated by the engine.

It's more for the induction sound.

How different is your CAI to mine ( photo in part 1)

Is exactly the same really, but with about 6” on pipe between filter and maf so filter is hard against the light pretty much 

Mmmmm,  what a pain.

Guess all you can do, (if you've had the car hooked up to a computer and there's no faults)

Take the car back to a state before the hesitation started, including the tune.

And work from there

1 hour ago, sweetm3 said:

Mmmmm,  what a pain.

Guess all you can do, (if you've had the car hooked up to a computer and there's no faults)

Take the car back to a state before the hesitation started, including the tune.

And work from there

Yea is annoying alright! Will hopefully get time this weekend to swap bits in and out and see what happens, then get it back for a  diagnostic run and tune maybe. Last time it was on with just back box he did say it was running rich, so maybe there is an issue somewhere with it. 

Sooo, put the factory air box back in and went for a good drive but still has the hesitation, so will swap the exhaust out and see if it’s that. But while I was out I hit a hare, again, and did a bit of damage. So ordered all new bumper trims and the oil cooler mount since that broke and was dragging on the ground. Tried to get a new mesh grill but is nla from Bmw, so eBay it is. went to fit parts yesterday to find the oil cooler is probably just about to blow through where it was scraping on the road, and in trying to refit it was struggling to get it into place. Then found that the bottom of the radiator is bowing down and bent, and the fins are rotting out. So looks like I’ll need a new radiator and cooler, and might as well replace hoses and mounts while I’m there. Uggghhhh.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, euroriffic said:

Sooo, put the factory air box back in and went for a good drive but still has the hesitation, so will swap the exhaust out and see if it’s that. But while I was out I hit a hare, again, and did a bit of damage. So ordered all new bumper trims and the oil cooler mount since that broke and was dragging on the ground. Tried to get a new mesh grill but is nla from Bmw, so eBay it is. went to fit parts yesterday to find the oil cooler is probably just about to blow through where it was scraping on the road, and in trying to refit it was struggling to get it into place. Then found that the bottom of the radiator is bowing down and bent, and the fins are rotting out. So looks like I’ll need a new radiator and cooler, and might as well replace hoses and mounts while I’m there. Uggghhhh.

Lots of hares down there! That's real shitty luck.

11 hours ago, M3AN said:

Lots of hares down there! That's real shitty luck.

I should probably stop driving it at night and that would mostly solve that issue 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 10:44 PM, euroriffic said:

I should probably stop driving it at night and that would mostly solve that issue 

Get some bullbars for it! 

Image result for bmw e36 with bull bars

12 hours ago, bradgalbraith said:

Get some bullbars for it! 

Image result for bmw e36 with bull bars

Haha that would sort them out!

So just before the holidays, I got my box of parts so was able to fit up the new radiator with new mounting clips and bits, new oil cooler, new grill insert and p.plates and surrounds and all new bumper trims. And because I’m not using it for grasskhanas anymore, fitted all the undertrays thst got replaced last time this happened. So she’s back on the streets! 

Also swapped out the CAI to see if that was causing the weird flat spot and miss, but no difference. So will need to try the exhaust now and see if that later the issue.  

• Like 2

So! Picked it back up from the workshop today to figure this weird flat spot out.

Was connected to three different scan tools, as well as being run on the dyno and apart from a dip in the air flow meter readings there was no other signs of an issue. 

What was found was there’s a code for a faulty oil level sensor, and the check engine lamp was removed and he couldn’t get it to work once replaced. So that’s a weird one. So sounds like the afm is on the way out, but not enough to cause any other issues. So after a call to Bmw and to Miland, I’m looking at $1200 for a new one. And another $430 for a sensor. Both genuine parts.

orrr, can get a Bosch afm and a hella oil sensor for about $1000 off schmeidmann. But am I likely to get issues with the Bosch, and just go for the genuine one, or will the Bosch be fine? 

nothing wrong with a hella oil level sensor - I just bought one for $30 and its all good..

dont know about the AFM but I guess it should be fine

Bosch probably manufactured the genuine one.

check ECStuning, pelicanparts and FCP euro to see if any cheaper. 

Edited by andrewm

4 hours ago, qube said:

nothing wrong with a hella oil level sensor - I just bought one for $30 and its all good..

dont know about the AFM but I guess it should be fine

Yea last one I got for the e46 was about that and seemed fine. Is 100euro for the m3’s one. Bastards. 

23 minutes ago, andrewm said:

Bosch probably manufactured the genuine one.

check ECStuning, pelicanparts and FCP euro to see if any cheaper. 

Tried fcp, but because they’re u.s based they don’t do them, and ecs and pelican were the same price as schmiedmann

9 minutes ago, euroriffic said:

Tried fcp, but because they’re u.s based they don’t do them, and ecs and pelican were the same price as schmiedmann

what ever you do don't get any M3 specific parts through ECS, I ordered most of my S50 things through them afm included and ended up waiting over a year for restocking only for them to send lhd specific pipes. Not only that but their website still showed items "in stock" that very clearly weren't. Same goes for Turner motorsport too since they're all under one umbrella

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

what ever you do don't get any M3 specific parts through ECS, I ordered most of my S50 things through them afm included and ended up waiting over a year for restocking only for them to send lhd specific pipes. Not only that but their website still showed items "in stock" that very clearly weren't. Same goes for Turner motorsport too since they're all under one umbrella

I had seen a lot of people having issues and no longer using them. Did you manage to get it sorted out? 

Says a month wait for the afm from ecs, but 7 days schmeidmann, which is usually right and never had issues with them is the past, so think that’ll be my choice 

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Never had an issue ordering S50 parts from ECS, just got to use specific part numbers instead of using their website to find parts.