Sign in to follow this  
euroriffic

97 M3 EVO tidy up

Tonight i gave the M3 a very good going over to find everything that i need to do to get it looking and running good. its abit of a list but mostly small cosmetic bits
cosmetic list:
remove towbar- done 
replace rear diffuser so no towbar hole- done
plastic rivits for inner boot plastic
rear window bottom corner rubbers-
side window rear rubbers
drivers seatbelt mount cover

tighten glovebox latch to reduce sagging-replaced with a mint one 
glovebox torch
tidy afew marks in leather
rear mirror cover
clean up M stitching on steering wheel

new headunit so is orange not blue illuminated
outer door handle rubbers
fix loose side molding on door
replace carbon roundel with original
remove ///power badge on back
wiper bolt covers
maybe a new scuttle panel, has the odd crack but not bad- done 
under tray fog light covers missing
maybe new, smaller wheels. rides abit hard on the 19s have 18x8/9 and 17x8 style 5s, ds2's, 18x8.5/9.5 acs rennsports, 17x7.5/9 roadstars, 18" acs3's
redded tail lights

Mechanical list:
rear strut tops
lolly pops replaced with solid bushes
weld up cracking around boot lid catch- done 
adjust drivers door so sits flush and closes nicer
replace KnN filter with a non oilled filter building CIA- done, but causes flatspot
new brake fluid

New pads & discs- done
fix ps leak and new fluid
driveshaft coupler
T.stat
waterpump
coolent
radiator flushed
diff, gearbox and engine oils
oil filter
fuel filter
vanos filter
air filter
cabin filter
sparkplugs
test coilpacks
viscous fan or fit electric fan
check/replace belts-Done
clean afm
clean throttle bodies
clean icv
check valve clearances
get all sensors checked to make sure within range
vanos rebuild-done

post-5102-1361345770.jpg
post-5102-1361345756.jpg
post-5102-1361345738.jpg
post-5102-1361345714.jpg
post-5102-1361345689.jpg
post-5102-1361345676.jpg
post-5102-1361345664.jpg
post-5102-1361345652.jpg
post-5102-1361346038.jpg
post-5102-1361345637.jpg

Edited by euroriffic

gave it a good clean yesterday and today and swapped the drivers floor mat with the tourings one as it was much tidier. tried the wheels off the 328i on it to see how it drives with 17's instead of the 19' but turns out they wouldnt clear the front calipers. also sent an email with my list of parts to Paul at Milland. hopefully make a start on the week after next or once I build the deck or when its a rainy day.

Very nice! I think we are all waiting on more pics. How much of a step up is it from your 328i :D

Thanks guys, was going to take a few pics today but instead I spent most the day asleep/hungover haha.

will get a few tomorrow tho for sure.

And in comparison to the 328i...WOW! such a huge difference! so much tighter and the POOOWWWWWWWWEERRRRRR (as Clarkson would say) is a big step up.

Example

Was heading up the steep street I usually take home and in the 318i touring Il have to hit the bottom in 3rd and be in second to get up the last half, the 328i can just get up in forth with abit of a run up and with only me in it. Hit it about 65 and will hold at 50 by the top. the M3 will accelerate up it in forth!

went up it friday in the wet in 3rd, put my foot down and lit up the semi new 245's.

after driving it for a few days Im really loving it. cant wait to start putting my own personal touches to it.

yea thats the one. know anything about it?

yea thats the one. know anything about it?

Only that it belonged to a BMW fan - she now drives a Z4 3.0 and a ACS X5

Would have been fairly well looked after I would assume.

That's good to hear, cheers.

Also sorry about pics, even tho I'm on "holiday" all I've seem to have done is work. Hopefully Thursday should get afew up

So I just got a quote from Milland and everything seems like a reasonable price apart from two items.

One is the driveshaft coupler/flexdisk/guibo depending on what you know it as, came in at $215. Seems alot for a rubber disk.

And the second is the waterpump...$540.90. Why the hell is it so much! My 328i one cost about $100

If anyone (aimed at you Greg seeing you also have an m3 and are oh so knowledgeable :D) knows/has gotten them cheaper let me know.

Also after the correct fluids, brand and grades, I should be running ( also aimed at you Greg), seems theres so so Sooooo much controversy about what to run.

TIA guys

Hi there. I just saw your post and thought I might comment just in case.

In relation to the water pump, check these guys here, the company is very legit and they are pretty good. I have bought a brand new (remanufactured) alternator of them, was $350NZ cheaper than cheapest supplier here. Alternator looks brand new and works perfect so far, no noises or anything like that.

Here is the link to the water pump for your car Water pump S52 Euro

In terms of fluids I use 10w60 Castrol Edge for my engine. I think this is the only BMW specified and approved oil for our engines. For Diff and gearbox I use Red Line 75W90 fluids they are my favorite (Shock Proof line is the best), but Castrol is good too (Slightly overpriced though), and BMW antifreeze with distilled water since it is Nitrite free.

I hope this helps.

Edited by swordfish

Thanks for that Swordfish, that is miles cheaper so may have to go for that and looks like a metal impeller. I thought that the castrol 10w60 was the one to go for but alot of guys use 10w50 so was unsure what to use.

thanks for the clarification.

Just ordered all required parts and picked up fluids from local suppliers today. Managed to get waterpump, thermostat, driveshaft coupler and solid rubber front lower arm rear bushes from Schmiedmann the same price as just the from Milland. Should be here in a week or two, had afew items out of stock

Gave the M3 abit of attention today and knocked afew things off the list. discovered afew reasons why its been idleing abit rough. one was a gammied up ICV, one was a vacuum hose thats collapsed, one was a vacuum T join with one end taped up-need to find where its ment to go and the hose from the either the powersteering pump or ac pump that runs into the airbox was off.

checked afew of the valve clearances and some are out so need to buy a mircometer tomorrow to measure shims so I know what size to order.

Edited by euroriffic

swap everything into the wagon :P

jokes man nice cars you have there ..jelly of the m3

keep us posted !

Addicted to e36's i see.... Legend.

Love the cars man, wagons my favorite.

Cheers dude, used to have 3 e30s at one point untill I upgraded haha, only one was a good one tho. In the looks department the wagons my fav too, something abit different, put the rusted bonnet on it yesterday... Thatll stir afew people up :P will put some pics up in that thread tomorrow

swap everything into the wagon :P

jokes man nice cars you have there ..jelly of the m3

keep us posted !

Well I did have a eye out for a damaged m3 to make an m3 touring but ended up with a semi good m3 instead. Still don't think the missus likes me for bringing it home :P She's not sold on it yet and hates the wagon and can't believe im getting rid of the 328 which is the only one she likes, but it's not all about her!

Also measured all the valve clearances and shims today and figured out what ones I can swap around to get back within tolerances and what sizes I need to order. so emailed Paul at Milland with the list aswell as a new cam cover gasket and the two centre cover gaskets as they were leaking oil into the sparkplug wells.

Don't think the clearances had been done in awhile as only 2 were within tolerances and 3 were right on the limit out of 24! .03mm was the average on intake and .05mm on exhaust.

Hoping my parcel from Schmiedmann arrives tomorrow so can fit waterpump, driveshaft coupler and new lower front arm rear bushes while I wait for todays order to arrive

Gave the M3 abit of attention today and knocked afew things off the list. discovered afew reasons why its been idleing abit rough. one was a gammied up ICV, one was a vacuum hose thats collapsed, one was a vacuum T join with one end taped up-need to find where its ment to go and the hose from the either the powersteering pump or ac pump that runs into the airbox was off.

checked afew of the valve clearances and some are out so need to buy a mircometer tomorrow to measure shims so I know what size to order.

That hose is not from AC or Power Steering its from Air Pump that is below the AC compressor. It was introuced in M3s for emissions control :)

Yes apon further investigation it appears it is, stupid emissions crap.

Got all the shims, gaskets and hose sorted with Paul at Milland and should be here next week.

had this lot arrive today from Schmiedmann

post-5102-1363165899.jpg

to add to the other assortment of bits

post-5102-1363166016.jpg

Here the paitient in the operating theatre

post-5102-1363166151.jpg

Got the new waterpump and thermostat fitted today, radiator and oil cooler back it place, tinted the tail lights red and that was about it today, figured I should spend some time on the deck since it was nice and im running outta days off fast.

So over the last few days Ive replaced all the shims so all valve clearances are with in tolerance, driveshaft coupler, kidney grills were abit stonechipped so repainted them, fixed p.steering leaks and replaced fluid, removed old bushes for the new powerflex to be fitted tomorrow morning. Also discovered Ive ordered the wrong hose so will need to re order unless I can find one at repco or the likes. I think thats about it

post-5102-1361345637.jpg

swap the mags in the sedan with the m3... walah colour scheme matching rims on all 3 cars :)

just joking around, all cars look really damn good