Sign in to follow this  
stargirl.suter

Engine Power Loss

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - did a search but didn't see anything relevant.

Driving to work this morning the 320i 2000 was cruising at 50km in 5th when a very noticeable power drop-off occurred - I was lucky to get up a hill. It happened 4 times in the space of 10mins.

No lights on dash (apart from a brake sensor that needs attention due to a loose wire/dirty connection).

I've had a similar problem with earlier cars that turned out to be a faulty catalitic convertor sensor. The engine nearly dies, but doesn't. Put my foot down and nothing happens, then it seems to come right.

Another faulty sensor do you think?

Also my battery is pretty much on it's last legs - low voltage.

It gets regular yearly services etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sharon

Edited by Stargirl

Location ?

Click...New Plymouth :D

Possibly an ignition coil if its not throwing a fault code. I suggest you still get it scanned or checked by someone who can diagnose the fault for you

Edited by *Glenn*

i have seen lots of wierd issues result from a faulty battery so if it needs replacing anyway its not a bad place to start.

Other than that as gleen said it really needs scanning, as there are many issues that could cause this, from coils to crank angle sensors. far to expensive to just blindly through parts at it.

Won't be a coil as you'll know if the car has really lost power / whole car shakes on idle.

Def your battery - replace it! :-)

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - did a search but didn't see anything relevant.

Driving to work this morning the 320i 2000 was cruising at 50km in 5th when a very noticeable power drop-off occurred - I was lucky to get up a hill. It happened 4 times in the space of 10mins.

No lights on dash (apart from a brake sensor that needs attention due to a loose wire/dirty connection).

I've had a similar problem with earlier cars that turned out to be a faulty catalitic convertor sensor. The engine nearly dies, but doesn't. Put my foot down and nothing happens, then it seems to come right.

Another faulty sensor do you think?

Also my battery is pretty much on it's last legs - low voltage.

It gets regular yearly services etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sharon

Fuel Filter ? ? ?

I had a problem similar to you, where it was a leak in the coldair intake system....hoodaki-thingy... (basically a big split in the ducting) which mucked around with the oxygen/fuel mix. I lost power intermittently. Meantime I have been lazy and duct taped it up. The symptoms have stopped since many 100s of kms ago.......'hope my 2cents can make a difference' good luck!