Sign in to follow this  
charles28

What are these old Mercs like?

I currently have a 190E 2.3, however its somewhat under powered and doesn't have a great towing capacity.

Something like this would suit me perhaps, as its the bigger version, anyone had any experience with this model? I understand its an inline 6 3.2L making 220hp ish.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=568284574

I only paid $1020 for my 190E with 4 brand new Ecopia tyres, have run up 10,000k or so on it now, i can smell that the heater core might be leaking a tiny bit now.

I haven't had 1st hand experience, but I'm pretty sure they are considered one of the best Mercedes Benz ever - before the bean-counters came in and ruinedf everything!

They're renowned for phenomenal milages, but you'd want to know the common issues first!

Edited by Allanw

I wouldn't touch that kind of Merc with a barge pole.

I've recently driven two Mercs both in good order, an S500 and SL500 from that mid 90s era, and I think they are pretty overated, dated relics designed in the 70/80s - they feel heavy, numb and are purely for crusing.

I'd imagine these are the same, just slower and a bit more nasty.

Then again they offer good value I suppose, but so does an old BMW

I wouldn't touch that kind of Merc with a barge pole.

I've recently driven two Mercs both in good order, an S500 and SL500 from that mid 90s era, and I think they are pretty overated, dated relics designed in the 70/80s - they feel heavy, numb and are purely for crusing.

I'd imagine these are the same, just slower and a bit more nasty.

Then again they offer good value I suppose, but so does an old BMW

100%

can have electrical issues depending on where they are made, though usually its the slightly newer model with the twin headlights each side.

Errr... the W124 was released in 1985, so isn't really a 1990's "model", the wiring harness issues may still apply to the 90's versions - the problems were related to being made from recycled plastics... just like BMW cooling systems, undertrays etc. It affected ALL markets, NZ new included. there were quite a few warranty repairs, but a lot still not done. It started in the 90's sometime - not sure when.

I'd imagine it's very similar to a 190e as far as build, design etc, rather than the 1990's released models

Just get a e34 535i and youl be good to go :)

Lol because BMW is so superior with our exploding cooling systems and our own dodgy electrics?

W124's are supposed to be one of the most robust Mercedes ever made.

I've had a few W124's and they have been the best cars I have ever owned. Much better than a 2001 W210 I had.

They are technically very similar to the 190e so far as chassis goes.

I havent owned a facelift 1993/4+ model with the wiring harness, perhaps just assume it is good?

Problems I had were stretched simplex timing chain, cheap replacement, later duplex unaffected. The gear shift linkage bushes wear but are cheap/free. As any larger car, suspension wears. Rear carrier (trailing??) arm bushes wear causing a squeak and forward/aft play. Front strut mounts wear. Centre cabin vent adjustment can break making it hard to open/ shut off air flow.

I cant think of anything else, they are wickedly solid and really nice to drive.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did some research.

It looks like the major issues are, HG often needed to be replaced by now, also the engine wiring harness.

Takes about 1.5 Hours to change the harness, however the cost of a new one, $850 USD +

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did some research.

It looks like the major issues are, HG often needed to be replaced by now, also the engine wiring harness.

Takes about 1.5 Hours to change the harness, however the cost of a new one, $850 USD +

a e34 535 will prolly need a HG by now too...

You`re right Olaf...they do have a great reputation. However, bearing in mind the address of the original Trade me poster (sounds like a guy working out of a Skyline garage `out back of his house` ) I would run a mile at full speed.......

Obviously it sold though, hopefully there isn`t a poor punter on a Merecedes Benz forum right now asking about `strange noises from under zee bonnet...........`

124's, 201's etc were built by engineers, not accountants so they are built extremely well. You can FEEL it.

I love my 190e, even though it's the 2.0 4 banger i wouldn't say it's exactly under powered. When i bought it i replaced the HG and all the ignition components.

If your 190 is a little sluggish I'd get out a multi meter that reads duty cyle % and see what it's running at. Someone may have fiddled with the adjustment screw and EHA.

The Jetronic systems are quite complicated.

Like most Euros in NZ, people screw them up royally from lack of knowledge and then blame the car.

I personally would like a 93/94 W124 TE. One thing I know to stay away from is a 94-96 W202 as they used an "environmentally friendly" biodegradable wiring harness, and they did exactly that........

I've had more old Mercs than most classic garage forecourts.

W124 - stick with 17s instead of 18s... 18s really do look the part, but they ruin the ride quality. Do the suspension mods as described (and uprate the anti-roll bars) and the car won't handle any worse on 17s.

W201 - fit the front ARB from a 6-cylinder W124 TE. You'll have to cut a few inches off each end, but instant improvement. Rear ARB is more difficult but you can find good copies of the W201 Evo 2 bar on t'internet. Same for the suspension - Konis, Bilstein, Eibach or Yellowspeed (coilovers) are good. Brake discs from a R129 SL, calipers from a US-market 400E, and 16" wheels from a '90-'00 CLK320. The rims are less than 13lbs each,, making an excellent improvement. (They're also good on a W124.)

The W126 is from the same era. Bigger, (even) more comfortable, and with the option of several V8s can really move. They handle far better than you'd expect, too.

Best Merc I've owned... Dunno. Rarest... Easier. An AMG W124 E36 estate. (Although various other Brabus, Carlsson and AMG models push it very close.)

DSCF0011.jpg

This was when it was running on AMG 18s, a set of 4 taken from the fronts of two W210 E55s. PITA to be honest - had to roll the front arches slightly to stop rubbing.

I love my 190e, even though it's the 2.0 4 banger i wouldn't say it's exactly under powered.

That must be a fairly imaginative description to move away from "under powered". If we're talking the same car.

I drove my neighbors one the other week and I turned around at the end of the street to ask him if something was wrong with it it was so gutless.. lol!

Nice looking car but.

That must be a fairly imaginative description to move away from "under powered". If we're talking the same car.

I drove my neighbors one the other week and I turned around at the end of the street to ask him if something was wrong with it it was so gutless.. lol!

Nice looking car but.

Bear in mind there are several 4-pot 190Es, from those that really are gutless, to those that showed BMW the way home in DTM. ;)

Nice looking car but.

No more gutless than a BMW, just different. In fact pretty bloody awkward really but it's just how they feel, not the actual power. There's that huge amount of slack travel in the accelerator pedal and also the auto starts off in 2nd gear.

1800cc allegedly? Drives like a sack of spuds would, quite tidy though. I replaced the bonnet/grill a couple months back after he stacked it which ended up being a pretty straight forward bolt on from some spares sourced on Trademe.Surprised me because I'd figured there was to be a lot more bent than just the bonnet looking at it. Obviously quite solid and a lot of car for that lil engine to push around.