Sign in to follow this  
nipe

Megasquirt

Hey guys, I know it's a long shot, but are there any knowledgeable guys that know a bit about megasquirt tuning that are here in chch? Even if we can catch up and have a chat would be awesome. And pleaaaase no haters and "buy a link" comments, thank you!!!

I looked into it.

The general consensus is that they are poorly built ecus with a very basic feature set.

The quality is very week for the key role the are intended for.. I get the impression you wouldn't even want to run your lawn mower with one (if say it was EFI)

Through that, there are a very limited number tuners that will even bother with them... and as they say - you get what you pay for.

Thanks for your input, but as I said earlier, haters and "buy link" guys, I have heard that multiple times. But my car is running and apart from the tune itself it has no issues in operating the cars engine, I want to have a chat to gauge underwater stones that i might come across with the actual tuning itself etc.

Sorry i'm not in chch but I'd be happy to help in any way I could. Is this for a turbo m50? have you got all the settings sorted? I think there was a guy on here with the username barf that was from down south

Michael the reason all tuners that i've spoken with is that too many people don't build it correctly. Spending a day of 'dyno time' tracing a cold solder or a reversed diode isn't the best use of their time.

Some might be poorly built by the customer. The layout is very easy to follow when putting the board together and the instructions are very clear and precise. Still people make mistakes.

A megasquirt has most of the features your average person will use on their wire in g4 storm or atom. Have a look into tuner studio and compare it with the link lineup. Most people batch inject and run wastedspark anyway

Where it lacks in cost, you need to add time and ability.

Sorry for getting off topic

Hey mate, I'm In AK, so will not be very helpful, however I had a 2ltr 16V that had GSXR 750cc ITBs retrofitted and the MS1V3.57 running speed density algorithm held up fine. Many people say tuning ITBs is extremely difficult, but Megasquirt made it quite easy.

Good luck with your project.

Not too much wrong with megasquirt...

You can have a $10k ECU and it will still play up if the install is poor.

Wow, thanks for replies guys, if anyone is keen we could probably even go through email if you are from north island?

P.S. crunchy, you not a fan of megasquirt?

its a subject i try to stay clear of i know what works for me and my customers i only but advise them its their money at the end of the day, so better to say no comment

Megasquirt "was" cheap as all the support was community based and online, It was a great learning experience for myself.

If I was doing a race car or something where time was a concern then I would use a brand where support was huge...

I agree with both of you, crunchy and nastnas, its a good tool to get a bit of insight on how things work etc and it is definitely not a commercial tool. I definitely learned a lot from what I have done so far with it. I do, however, think that Link is slightly overpriced...