Sign in to follow this  
Mungous

Cheap motorsport

Have seen it, Forum member Jamez is setting it up.

Finding the right car is harder than first thought, I have a few idea's.

One big difference about this series is that the Championship is done off the "team", not the driver or car, for this reason you can change the car OR driver as much as you like during the season. The main reason for this is because there are a lot of companies that are keen to sponsor 1 car and share it among their staff, there is even one company that is putting up 5 cars to share among its staff but is going to have different drivers throughout the season.

Integra (excludes type R)

... LOL ... I can see that beating the whole field of eligible cars!!

You might want to add the Civic Type R too - although finding one for $2000 would be almost impossible I suppose.

Might be wise to exclude the DOHC vtec altogether as it'll be hard to stop the Honda guys from swapping type R cams, gearboxes and other gears into the car without anyone knowing.

Otherwise awesome idea!! I just hope the whole no roll cage thing stays ... add a cage to the car and it'll more or less defeat the purpose of budget racing. Might start looking for a car soon!!!

Edited by M3_Power

That's a great idea. Definitely keeping an eye on its development.

The only thing people can see is the "2K"

Do we really need another class in this country?

Surely the E30 class ticks all the right boxes for the right reasons?

2k for the car, cage 3k, wheels and tyres 1200, seat 500, belts 300, replace all stock bushes with new another 2k plus,new shocks all round 600plus and lets freshen the motor and drive line spending 10k wont be hard and having it optional for a cage?

Wait till theres a serious accident and OSH get involved, there's countless used race cars around for under 10k then again buy a e30 cause when you've had enough someone will want it how many people want to pay 10k plus for a revamped honda accord, not many if any

Lots of grey area's that I cant get my head around, also massive potential for cheating, sounds cool though.

fastest car you could buy would be a Honda CRX SIR if you could find one, its not on the list but would decimate all with over night parts from Japan.

Cant see why they would allow a Honda with V-Tec of a Toyota MR2 but not a FTO Mivec.. also missing Nissan Sylvia from that list.

Would think something like this would be as fast as you could buy for 2k?

New shocks and springs, strut bars and what ever else you can fit at it would be very fast.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-581585512.htm

How would one go about proving what one paid for car and who would you have to prove it too?

Say I was offered a fast MR2 for example? Would I need a receipt for 2k or less? What if it was 2k from a friend who wrote the receipt?

Shame te excluded the FTO, my missus used to have one of these and they are very fast cars and sound amazing!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-583117556.htm

The only thing people can see is the "2K"

Do we really need another class in this country?

Surely the E30 class ticks all the right boxes for the right reasons?

2k for the car, cage 3k, wheels and tyres 1200, seat 500, belts 300, replace all stock bushes with new another 2k plus,new shocks all round 600plus and lets freshen the motor and drive line spending 10k wont be hard and having it optional for a cage?

Wait till theres a serious accident and OSH get involved, there's countless used race cars around for under 10k then again buy a e30 cause when you've had enough someone will want it how many people want to pay 10k plus for a revamped honda accord, not many if any

Thanks for the feedback Steve but (not to cause offense) your exactly the type of person this series is not aimed for.

In one week (via word of mouth) 2KCUP have had 14 people come forward wanting to genuinely get involved, funny thing is they have never been part of a car club or done motorsport before. They are not interested in modifying the car and just want to have a go. <- They are the type of person this series is geared for. If people want to modify there car there are heaps of other series to join, Classic Japanese, honda cup etc etc

Lots of grey area's that I cant get my head around, also massive potential for cheating, sounds cool though.

fastest car you could buy would be a Honda CRX SIR if you could find one, its not on the list but would decimate all with over night parts from Japan.

Cant see why they would allow a Honda with V-Tec of a Toyota MR2 but not a FTO Mivec.. also missing Nissan Sylvia from that list.

So to expand that last question, "Cant see why they would allow a Honda with V-Tec (176 hp/174 N·m) or a Toyota MR2 (178 hp/191 N·m) ( but not a FTO Mivec (197 hp/200 N·m).. also missing Nissan Sylvia (sell for $4+) from that list."

The series is trying to keep peak HP under 180hp, we are also trying to keep the cars list realistic.

If people want to cheat they should refer to rule 2.8:

2.8: At the end of the meeting, the organiser may elect to purchase any vehicle from its owner(s) for $2500 In other words, don’t spend a lot on a cheater. This rule is only applicable to proven Cheaters. We will most likely just cancel your entry and tell you never to come back.

also - "fastest car you could buy would be a Honda CRX SIR if you could find one, its not on the list but would decimate all with over night parts from Japan."

At 1050kg with 150hp, I think it would have reasonable parity with other cars running ~170hp and 1150kg.

As a side note, although I have not updated the rules yet, all ~1595cc DOHC VTECH's will have to run in the 1600-2000cc class to keep parity.

• Like 1

Offence not taken but you have to admit the way the proposed series is put forward is the 2K thing,a $2000 RACE CAR !!! yea right

We all know thats far from what the car will be when it hits the track and you cant deny that one, we all know the hidden costs which lets be honest are far from being cheap.

Motorsport isnt cheap end of story but like anything recruitment isnt an issue retaining is it leaves its self well open for people with a cheque book but with controls like the e30 series that kept under control and the class is so well supported to show that and would have to be the biggest class in the country? sorry if i got that wrong.

If people want to have a play based on what the class is being portrayed as then $100 track day with your road car would be by far the cheapest way to have some fun no class rules just a warrent and reg helmet and go for it dont need to build another car i already have one.

If it takes off great ill eat my words but as its been pointed out its left wide open for cheating once that happens and arguments starts people walk away, and theres so many ways cheating can be done based on the rules your right its not for me but atleast be real with what its going to cost you and if you want cheap?

Get a dirt track car at mere mere from a safety point of view a full MANZ rated cage would have to be a must that alone can be twice the cost of your 2k car and some and your yet to hit the track, i had diner on saturday night with a rather high up in motorsport nz and this 2k thing came up he put his face in his hands and just said "why would you wont to" each to their own i guess.

Edited by crunchy

I'm in, just need to find a car, it may not be quick but it'll be all nice and shiney at least haha.

I like rule 2.8:, simple really, cheat using "hidden mod's" and you will lose out.

Also like the fact it's going to be more strategy than 'out right speed'.

We had a 'BOS' (bucket o' sh1t) class in the Hawkes Bay car club a few years ago, $200 max and i tell ya what, it was a blast.

I'm in, just need to find a car, it may not be quick but it'll be all nice and shiney at least haha.

IHi,

I looked at it when the news release came out, have a close look at the intrim requirements, by intrim I mean there are no "rules" as yet, only basic ideas.

Encouraging further particpation into existing catagories rather the this would have made a bit more sense, there has been a predicted decline in alot of the other Classes due to imcrease entry fees etc.

Just how race worthy is a 2k car going to be in "standard as from factory" presentation !

Coils, Pads, Fluid, Tyres will take the costs over 2k without question.

The other interesting issue is that the organisors reserve the right to purchase any of the entrants cars for $2500 !

Would this Series then mean all BMW heats will now NOT be the last of the day as has been the case !

can you make the ticker box in the front page of the website change slower? im a quick reader but i cant see it before it changes

but i got a E36 318i Manual in the driveway i have no idea what to do with. hmm. but (for arguments sake) my mates 1.6L Lancer Mivec would dominate it. no idea what the Mitsi chassis code is but its the evo 1 2 3 shape. or would that Mivec be excluded like the other mitsi's.

i think its a great idea though mate and what a top bloke for doing it too, when you are an experienced racer.

correct me if im wrong, but it seems to me all the people that are trying to work out whats eligible and whats not, if replacing bushes will put it over the value etc etc etc... these are the people you don't want right? its for people that want to go out, have a blat a bit more seriously than a track day, and at the end of the day dont care where they come in the tournament.. is that correct?

edit: i do like the idea of a control tyre tho. i realise it would be own risk being new racers mainly etc, but id rather not be other there with Joe Bloggs on his Kingstars

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Just an update on this,

We have had a few sponsors come on board to offer discounted product for series competitors:

Toyo Tires - Discounted Proxes T1R's or 4's

Vortex Racewear - 25% off single items, 15% off packs

EBC - Discounted Race/Road Pads

On the 29th of May HRC are holding a Motorsport License evening for the 2KCUP, this will be an evening to sit your National Race License (C Grade) and also join the HRC car club if you are not already a member of a car club. More info can be found at http://2kcup.com/?p=167

So far there are 17 Entries - http://2kcup.com/?page_id=67

Round 1 is this Saturday at Hampton Downs. An entry list can be found at http://www.nzrdl.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/NZRDL-1-ENTRIES.pdf

Feel free to come down and watch 46 2KCUP cars dice it out.

• 08:30 2KCup Practice/Qualifying - 10 min

• 11:00 Race 1 - 25min

• 15:20 Race 2 - 25min

• 16:00 2KCup Prizegiving

Only 3 weeks to go until the third round of the 2KCUP at Hampton Downs (8th December) and it's free entry for spectators. It should be a good watch as there will be two grids of 2KCUP cars (there are 50+ entries so far) and the second race for both grids will be reverse top 20!

If you are also wanting to get a taste of 2KCUP before you commit to racing, we have hired HamptonDowns for a private Twilight session on the 29th November (5-7pm), anyone is welcome as long as their car would be eligible for the 2KCUP, the cost is $70 for 2 hours of open pit lane. Prepay only, enter at http://www.motorsportentry.com/index.php/ccsales/ccorderform/action/view/

It would be good to see some BMW's, I wonder how well a 318ti could do?

Entries so far:

Make Model

Citroën BX 16 Valve

Honda Integra

Honda Integra

Honda Integra

Honda Integra

Honda Integra

Honda Integra

Honda Integra

Mazda Lantis

Mazda Lantis