Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Yes, I am a lucky b*stard!

Maybe it's karma as me n' my better half have had a rough 12 months but we've lucked in a couple of times recently. Firstly, my wife won the keys to a brand new F31 320i for a month in March and then at short notice, I got invited today to a BMW Ultimate Drive Day at Hampton Downs by a good friend who works with BMW.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that it was absolutely frickin' sensational! It wasn't a full on track day, it was an opportunity for the good folks at BMW to show us a few party tricks from the current range, such as x-drive, as well as let us drive a host of different vehicles on the road, off road and on the track over the course of three or four hours.

On road I drove a 650 gran coupe (amazing!), 530d, 116i and an X1. The X1 was probably the only car all day I didn't particularly car for. Off road I drove an X6 40d but it was on the track that the fun really began.

I missed out on driving this but am assured it was outrageous:

post-16586-1366279178.jpg

post-16586-1366279188.jpg

But I did get to drive the new M135i which was incredible. So quick, great handling and so fun. It was like a go kart on steroids. I was behind the M3 and had no problem keeping pace with it (we were behind a pace car so it wasn't racing but the M135i's acceleration and handling was comparable). I had a blast in an X6 M50d which was very cool. Not my favourite looking car but it was deceptively quick. After the M135i it felt like a tank but every now and again you'd glance at the HUD and notice you were doing 140-150kms/h when you felt like you were doing 60! Brilliant handling too for a big car.

All of these paled into comparison against the F10 M5 though. Pity it was the first one I drove so I was a bit nervous (I've never driven on a track before) but it was absolutely incredible. I won't be able to drive another car again without feeling mildly disappointed. Gut-wrenching acceleration and amazing handling in a car that is so comfortable inside you feel like you're at home in your arm chair. I am in love (don't tell my wife). Funnily enough the car smelled a bit of vomit. I quizzed the instructor and apparently a punter in an earlier session had driven so insanely in it he'd made himself sick... Looks like there'll be a bargain M5 up for grabs soon... If you don't mind the smell of old bile.

Best day I've had in a very long time. Still smiling (and shaking a little). Really want to find the $$$s to do their full driver training day!

post-16586-1366279319.jpg

post-16586-1366279228.jpg

That might be a bit of puddle of wee next to it. It was VERY fast.

Jealous!!!

Considering the amount of money I've spent with BMW NZ I have NEVER EVER been invited to such a day - very strange - ironically I've never purchased a Porsche and have had invites twice now - two years in a row - but both times it clashed with work commitments!!! Buggar!!

Jealous!!!

Considering the amount of money I've spent with BMW NZ I have NEVER EVER been invited to such a day - very strange - ironically I've never purchased a Porsche and have had invites twice now - two years in a row - but both times it clashed with work commitments!!! Buggar!!

I was invited by someone they sponsor not by BMW NZ. I don't think they have a huge amount of interest in me as a potential customer but I am massively grateful to my friend for the opportunity. My understanding is that these driver days are outsourced to a commercial company so they are normally paid for events (I believe someone said it's about $800 for a full day session).

Would be a killer marketing tool for prospective buyers like yourself, Tom!

I was invited by someone they sponsor not by BMW NZ. I don't think they have a huge amount of interest in me as a potential customer but I am massively grateful to my friend for the opportunity. My understanding is that these driver days are outsourced to a commercial company so they are normally paid for events (I believe someone said it's about $800 for a full day session).

Would be a killer marketing tool for prospective buyers like yourself, Tom!

That's one way they do those days - the dealerships also provide a list to BMW NZ who then pay for the day to potential leads and existing customers. I was royally pissed in 2007 when they launched the E92 M3 and sent everyone down to Taupo for 2 days (being an owner of the CSL back then and having owned two prior E46 M3s since 2000) I was left off the list for no apparent reason - it actually annoyed me enough for me to send in a complaint letter (as every other E46 M3 owners I know back then plus a friend of mine that owned no previous BMWs and was never in the market for one were invited) - BMW NZ sent me a BMW Magazine as a token of apology ... I threw it in the bin ... haha ...

I do find it rather surprising actually .... 13 freaking years as an owner and never once invited ... maybe I'll ditch the brand soon - Porsche seems to want my business way more than BMW!!

But looked like an epic day ... the M5 would have been fun, vomit or not haha!!

How does the M135 compare to the M5?? - have seen the car in person but not test driven one - looks like quite an epic car!! Better than the 1M I am told.

Edited by M3_Power

I can't compare to the 1M, I'm afraid, as I've never driven it but the M135i was great. It reminded me of the first time I drove a Mk II Golf GTI some 15-20 odd years ago. Surprisingly solid handling for a small car but still light and manoeuvrable, very very quick. Completely different feeling to the M5. Most of the other people there I spoke to all loved the M3 and the M135i, I think because they found them - particularly the M135i - to be more like driving the road cars they were used to but on steroids. The M5 was something different and in my mind, very special. First off, I absolutely love how unassuming it looks - especially compared the M3 Pure Edition. The classic sleeper. Then you get in it and it's like you're enveloped in luxury and it's a big heavy car. The M135i doesn't even have electric seats so despite the insane performance it could be any other car inside. The M5 is a Saville Row suit, the M3 is Armani and the M135i is a Barker's suit (with an All Black inside it).

I'm biased because I've dreamt about M5s for the last 30 odd years but it was everything I hoped for!! When I floored it for the 0-100 sprint the feeling of getting pressed into those comfortable leather seats was brilliant!! I thought it would be terrifying driving something so powerful but it's that good a novice like me felt completely at ease with it.

The M5 is a Saville Row suit, the M3 is Armani and the M135i is a Barker's suit (with an All Black inside it).

That's perhaps the best description I've ever read! Thanks Julian!!!

Great experience! I've been to quite a few BMW launch and track days.

While the M3 is my daily driver and the car I choose to own, the 1M is a balls out mental bastard which I loved every minute of on track. Still not 100% convinced on the laggy throttle, but the midrange whack coupled with that wonderful chassis/brakes package gives a smile.

Yeah, that new M5 is a monster. Still have a soft spot for the V10 version. It's good to have driven them all.

If you haven't done their driver training, it is absolutely a must for any M car driver. Mike Eddy is a great teacher and I must say I was taught quite a lot - especially when I had Robbie Francevic in my passenger seat for laps telling me when to brake/apex/power on - surreal experience with such a legend.

Stay on their list - the new M3 isn't far away, you never know if an invite will come your way.

Edited by E90 M3

Stay on their list - the new M3 isn't far away, you never know if an invite will come your way.

I've waited 13 years for an invite and to be honest I am not holding my breath. I might not be the biggest individual customer for bmw but I think I've given them my fair share of loyalty to them. It's not like I've never aired my displeasure to them directly. The event in 2007 resulted in a letter to Mark Gilbert - instead of an invite to maybe test drive the new m3 at a dealership I was given a magazine with an article about one in it - talk about adding insult to injury.

During this 13 years I've owned new 2001 e46 m3, new 2003 e46 m3, 2003 e46 m3 csl (still own), new 2008 e92 m3, new 2007 mini jcw (the most extensively spec'd in NZ), 2012 new Mini Countryman. The last two mini I still own.

I know people that have less or nothing to do with bmws that have been invited to these events on multiple occasions - it beggers belief really.

I think I will be airing my displeasure to BMW Germany directly (not that it'll do anything I am sure). For a premium brand they are, in my opinion, seriously lacking in the customer retention department.

Any how just want to share. I am done with the brand.

Edited by M3_Power

I've waited 13 years for an invite and to be honest I am not holding my breath. I might not be the biggest individual customer for bmw but I think I've given them my fair share of loyalty to them. It's not like I've never aired my displeasure to them directly. The event in 2007 resulted in a letter to Mark Gilbert - instead of an invite to maybe test drive the new m3 at a dealership I was given a magazine with an article about one in it - talk about adding insult to injury.

During this 13 years I've owned new 2001 e46 m3, new 2003 e46 m3, 2003 e46 m3 csl (still own), new 2008 e92 m3, new 2007 mini jcw (the most extensively spec'd in NZ), 2012 new Mini Countryman. The last two mini I still own.

I know people that have less or nothing to do with bmws that have been invited to these events on multiple occasions - it beggers belief really.

I think I will be airing my displeasure to BMW Germany directly (not that it'll do anything I am sure). For a premium brand they are, in my opinion, seriously lacking in the customer retention department.

That's really the dealers job I would have thought - they should be purchasing X number of tickets to official BMW events and dishing them out to prospects/customers.

Do the sales people/managers at dealerships just wait by the phone for orders or something?

If you haven't done their driver training, it is absolutely a must for any M car driver.

Not sure I'll ever own an M car... But I'd like to learn how to drive one properly just in case!!

Edited by jeffbebe

That does suck - you have had more BMWs than me and I get invites all the time.

I'm already being "courted" by JCBMW probably for the M3 coming later in the year. I must admit, if they didn't invite me, I'd pick up the phone and ask WTF was going on. Sometimes you feel like why should you do that - but when you are thrashing their gear around a test track from time to time - that is why. Worth putting your hand up with a dealer.

I've waited 13 years for an invite and to be honest I am not holding my breath.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you want to go just contact them. I got invited to heaps of these things just because I am annoying :lol:

The M5 was something different and in my mind, very special. First off, I absolutely love how unassuming it looks - especially compared the M3 Pure Edition. The classic sleeper. Then you get in it and it's like you're enveloped in luxury and it's a big heavy car. The M135i doesn't even have electric seats so despite the insane performance it could be any other car inside. The M5 is a Saville Row suit, the M3 is Armani and the M135i is a Barker's suit (with an All Black inside it).

Hey hey, even a Barkers suit is better looking and nicer on the inside than the pig faced BMW 1 series, Barkers Suits are great value too, something the 1 series is not!

That's really the dealers job I would have thought - they should be purchasing X number of tickets to official BMW events and dishing them out to prospects/customers.

Do the sales people/managers at dealerships just wait by the phone for orders or something?

It's not like BMW NZ doesn't know about it (I did write that letter to the then Managing Director) - I think they simply just don't care - and they wonder why loyal customers are leaving.

Not sure what the sales people or managers do at the dealership - I have a wonderful relationship with the parts and service department and get looked after astonishing well there, have never received a call from the sales team about any of the recent M products.

I am going to air my disappointment with BMW Germany and see what they say ... overall it's been a bitter disappointing 13 years to be ignored like this.

That does suck - you have had more BMWs than me and I get invites all the time.

I'm already being "courted" by JCBMW probably for the M3 coming later in the year. I must admit, if they didn't invite me, I'd pick up the phone and ask WTF was going on. Sometimes you feel like why should you do that - but when you are thrashing their gear around a test track from time to time - that is why. Worth putting your hand up with a dealer.

Lucky for you - maybe I am just with the wrong dealership - although it's not like the Jerry Clayton's sales don't know about me either - I've not personally purchased from them, but my brother is a customer of theirs and he's never had an invite either.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you want to go just contact them. I got invited to heaps of these things just because I am annoying :lol:

The thing is I have aired my disappointment about this to them and even to the MD of BMW NZ directly - nothing has changed. It's not like they don't actually know who I am - they just like to conveniently ignore me. Oh well - their loss.

Julian - sorry about plastering your wonderful thread with my rants!!! I'll refrain from posting more about it if you tell me to!! But as you can tell I am a little bitter over this (as explained via PM) - kinda of annoying when you also see your facebook friends posting photos about these experience days and they don't even own a BMW.

Edited by M3_Power

It's not like BMW NZ doesn't know about it (I did write that letter to the then Managing Director) - I think they simply just don't care - and they wonder why loyal customers are leaving.

Not sure what the sales people or managers do at the dealership - I have a wonderful relationship with the parts and service department and get looked after astonishing well there, have never received a call from the sales team about any of the recent M products.

I am going to air my disappointment with BMW Germany and see what they say ... overall it's been a bitter disappointing 13 years to be ignored like this.

Yup, that's true - they probably (or should have) raised it with them. Speaking from experience it's very difficult to control exactly what your distributor does. BMW NZ cannot order the salespeople at Team McM or anywhere to do anything. They can raise it at a management level and make their displeasure known. But are they going to tear up the franchise agreement which is working for them over this one issue?

You'd be better off raising it with the MD of the dealership you put your purchases through. Losing customers comes out of their back pocket and if they're worth their salt they should care about that and give their sales team an ear full.

Hey hey, even a Barkers suit is better looking and nicer on the inside than the pig faced BMW 1 series, Barkers Suits are great value too, something the 1 series is not!

I think we have a different opinion of Barkers suits. ;)

Julian - sorry about plastering your wonderful thread with my rants!!! I'll refrain from posting more about it if you tell me to!! But as you can tell I am a little bitter over this (as explained via PM) - kinda of annoying when you also see your facebook friends posting photos about these experience days and they don't even own a BMW.

Just p*ss all over my parade, Tom! haha. Kidding. Say what you like, this is a forum after all. You never know, someone from BMW NZ's after sales team might be reading!!

Yup, that's true - they probably (or should have) raised it with them. Speaking from experience it's very difficult to control exactly what your distributor does. BMW NZ cannot order the salespeople at Team McM or anywhere to do anything. They can raise it at a management level and make their displeasure known. But are they going to tear up the franchise agreement which is working for them over this one issue?

You'd be better off raising it with the MD of the dealership you put your purchases through. Losing customers comes out of their back pocket and if they're worth their salt they should care about that and give their sales team an ear full.

I agree with what you say ... but you know what, guess who called me since this post went up because they spotted it .... And it's not BMW or any of the dealerships - it was Porsche.

I think when it comes to premium brands, you either want to retain customers or you don't - the overall general feeling I get is BMW really don't give a damn.

Just p*ss all over my parade, Tom! haha. Kidding. Say what you like, this is a forum after all. You never know, someone from BMW NZ's after sales team might be reading!!

Haha sorry Julian - buy you a coffee when I am in Ponsonby next time : )

I doubt it - and even if they do read it, which they should have already (but still haven't) they are still too late compared to the competition (as above).

Edited by M3_Power

That's one way they do those days - the dealerships also provide a list to BMW NZ who then pay for the day to potential leads and existing customers. I was royally pissed in 2007 when they launched the E92 M3 and sent everyone down to Taupo for 2 days (being an owner of the CSL back then and having owned two prior E46 M3s since 2000) I was left off the list for no apparent reason - it actually annoyed me enough for me to send in a complaint letter (as every other E46 M3 owners I know back then plus a friend of mine that owned no previous BMWs and was never in the market for one were invited) - BMW NZ sent me a BMW Magazine as a token of apology ... I threw it in the bin ... haha ...

Thats rediculous. Even I got to go down ( on the chartered plane! ) with my dad who had an E46 at the time. Maybe they knew I'd persuade him into getting the E92 ( which he did ). If it was any consolation, it was a pretty cool day!

Wait, that's no consolation at all.

Lol, as if the High Society types at claytons & mcmillian would associate themselves with a forum such as this.... what would the neighbours think??!!

In all seriousness Tom, your experience with post-sale relations is not the first I've heard. A former employer of mine bought a new 3 & 5 series every two years from the early 90s up to not that long ago and every time he did would swear black and blue he'd never go back. Ultimately for him the tax writeoffs were too much to ignore but I suspect if he had another option he would have exercised it. In your case, I shudder to think how many tens of thousands of dollars you've contributed to their annual turnover. For the profit margins you will have generated their sales team I'd have thought a poxy little $800 drivers day would have been the least they could do to demonstrate a little appreciation.

Perhaps I'm a little too old fashioned in my expectations when it comes to customer service, but there you go.

And Jeff, yes you are a lucky bastrd. But it's nice to see the universe gives back sometimes :)

You never know, someone from BMW NZ's after sales team might be reading!!

Or maybe even someone from their sales team :ph34r: ?

Haha sorry Julian - buy you a coffee when I am in Ponsonby next time : )

Done. You can show me your new Porsche!

Or maybe even someone from their sales team :ph34r: ?

I'm sure Tom would have appreciated a call from either!

Edited by jeffbebe

Jealous!!!

Same here - recently a guy I know who owns a tyre shop went on one of these excursions, he's never owned a BMW nor cared for them. IMO the programs would be better focused at people actually buying the product.

Same here - recently a guy I know who owns a tyre shop went on one of these excursions, he's never owned a BMW nor cared for them. IMO the programs would be better focused at people actually buying the product.

Presumably if his tyre shop is successful then he could be in the market for a bimmer. If they relied solely on selling new cars to people that already like/own one they wouldn't do too well.

My understanding is that these driver days are outsourced anyway, so they guys running it also want to make a buck or two. I think the issue Tom's expressing is less about the programme itself and more how BMW sales utilise it to retain and acquire customers.

One of our electrical wholesalers delivery guys got to go to the Wanaka Snow park last year and burn round in the xdrive trucks and I'm pretty sure he doesn't own a BMW. He is a professional golfer tho...

Also lucky you Jeffbebe, sounds like you had a blast. And that totally sucks Tom that youve never had an invite. Goes to show they'd rather try chase potential buyers than existing buyers. A shame really. Let us know when you pick up your new GT3 RS :D

Edited by euroriffic

I REALLY want to drive a GT3 RS .. its a car I would buy in a heart beat if I had a chance too.

Presumably if his tyre shop is successful then he could be in the market for a bimmer. If they relied solely on selling new cars to people that already like/own one they wouldn't do too well.

My understanding is that these driver days are outsourced anyway, so they guys running it also want to make a buck or two. I think the issue Tom's expressing is less about the programme itself and more how BMW sales utilise it to retain and acquire customers.

The driving days are contracted out to Mike Eadys (sp?) company I think, but the M3 launch day at Taupo whilst probably handled by an outside company, the guest list was certainly handled by the dealers.