Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

BMW scanner - opinions

Have a BMW scanner 1.4 also as Gabriel mentioned find it very useful. The only trouble i find is you have to run it through a laptop and it gets messy sometimes with cables running every where. Also these do have problems which are documented google search will enlighten one.

1 hour ago, allan said:

Have a BMW scanner 1.4 also as Gabriel mentioned find it very useful. The only trouble i find is you have to run it through a laptop and it gets messy sometimes with cables running every where. Also these do have problems which are documented google search will enlighten one.

Does not everyone have a laptop dedicated to their car? :huh:

Although I do wish the dongle was wireless. Bluetooth would have been swell. :)

What kinds of problems do you mean, btw? 

3 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Does not everyone have a laptop dedicated to their car? :huh:

No.  The thought of buying a shitty old laptop to keep alive and functioning, along with the attendant troubles of keeping old (read: out of support) hardware/OS/software, running.... well, it doesn't figure in my plans.  ?

I want something that runs (ideally) under OSX.  If that's not available, it's probably a dedicated reader for me.  

The cable thing is a red herring.  You can get OBDII port readers that fire out the signal over wifi or Bluetooth if that's what floats your boat, this kind of solution is popular with phone and tablet users.  Phone and tablet use is probably where the market is, so I'm picking that's where the development effort goes!

cheers

• Like 1

All of the tools can run in a VM, indeed DIS comes pre-packaged in a VM. However I bet running them on iOS OSX will be problematic. They all run on Windows 10 (32bit) just fine so you don't need an outdated OS.

The cable is NOT a red hearing if you need to use BMW's proprietary ADS interface to read every modules and as well as writing to them. Later cars don't have this requirement.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Something like this looks like it'll suit my needs (which are pretty basic). Can't be running to Supercheap every time a CEL comes on (as it did this morning).

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

All of the tools can run in a VM, indeed DIS comes pre-packaged in a VM. However I bet running them on iOS OSX will be problematic. They all run on Windows 10 (32bit) just fine so you don't need an outdated OS.

The cable is NOT a red hearing if you need to use BMW's proprietary ADS interface to read every modules and as well as writing to them. Later cars don't have this requirement.

Ah well.  At least knowing it'll run solidly in a VM is better than nothing.  I've experienced trouble previously getting the right USB hardware to talk through USB on the mac into VMware Fusion and then into my Windows VM (XP OR Win7), and subsequently into the software I was using.  Seems I've been doing it wrong.  (I mean this sincerely).

sounds like it's time for me to get serous and look for a DIS VM and get the proper cable.  Very happy to be schooled on this, Dave.  Do I need the appropriate (proprietary) cable for my e46 and e60?  Or better question is 'what's the right cable to get for DIS on e46 and e60?'

Im seeking only diagnosis and possibly mild coding only (options set/unset).  I'm naturally cautious, work in ICT, understand systems and will actively avoid bricking my cars through misadventure.

.... and, if I can't make it run in a vm under VMware fusion, I could always resort to boot camp and boot the Mbp in Windows.

1 hour ago, will said:

Have one of these [blue and silver], works well on windows 10, software easy to install. http://www.bcables.com/#xl_HeadingAnchor:58iGanY

I also have it and it works well and installed without too much hassle.  I suspect there are later versions of the software which have additional functionality/improved interface, and I probably need to sit down at some stage & nut through how to update this on the virtual machine.

It basically pays for itself the first time you use it.

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

No.  The thought of buying a shitty old laptop to keep alive and functioning, along with the attendant troubles of keeping old (read: out of support) hardware/OS/software, running.... well, it doesn't figure in my plans.  ?

I want something that runs (ideally) under OSX.  If that's not available, it's probably a dedicated reader for me.

I never said anything about shitty, or old in my laptop description. :) I have my previous gen Carbon X1 dedicated to software now. Previously I was using my current laptop, which itself runs Fedora and had a virt for the software. That setup works perfectly btw, no reason you can't use the same under OSX. I was using virtualbox. I find VMWare for local virts overkill. :)

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

The cable thing is a red herring.  You can get OBDII port readers that fire out the signal over wifi or Bluetooth if that's what floats your boat, this kind of solution is popular with phone and tablet users.  Phone and tablet use is probably where the market is, so I'm picking that's where the development effort goes!

This is not correct. The general readers of which you speak can do just find for reading codes and such, but to actually code the car, pins need to be soldered differently than the standard OBDII interface calls for. Now, there is no reason why someone can't do that to a bluetooth enabled dongle, but I haven't found one yet that does this. Plus, you'd also then have to code the software itself for the new interface, unless there is already a shim of somekind... anyway, too much effort. :)

2 hours ago, will said:

Have one of these [blue and silver], works well on windows 10, software easy to install. http://www.bcables.com/#xl_HeadingAnchor:58iGanY

That's basically what I have too. Works fine with PA Soft 1.4

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

.... and, if I can't make it run in a vm under VMware fusion, I could always resort to boot camp and boot the Mbp in Windows.

Use Virtualbox, I can even share my VM if you'd like. :) I have all the key coding software in mine as well.

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Ah well.  At least knowing it'll run solidly in a VM is better than nothing.  I've experienced trouble previously getting the right USB hardware to talk through USB on the mac into VMware Fusion and then into my Windows VM (XP OR Win7), and subsequently into the software I was using.  Seems I've been doing it wrong.  (I mean this sincerely).

sounds like it's time for me to get serous and look for a DIS VM and get the proper cable.  Very happy to be schooled on this, Dave.  Do I need the appropriate (proprietary) cable for my e46 and e60?  Or better question is 'what's the right cable to get for DIS on e46 and e60?'

Im seeking only diagnosis and possibly mild coding only (options set/unset).  I'm naturally cautious, work in ICT, understand systems and will actively avoid bricking my cars through misadventure.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561237

That is the thread for you. I believe the same interface cable we're discussing here will work for your e60, depends on model year it seems.

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 1

E39's (edit: pre ~1998) will require ADS @Young Thrash Driver so start perhaps your research there. Look up "TinyADS" on eBay. Then INPA and DIS - the drivers work on 32bit Windows only.

@Olaf - What @Gabe79 said. He bet me to it. ^_^ I'd try and grab his VM's if you can, would reduce the frustration manyfold!

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

No worries mate... my laptop is not that old either actually and doesn't have a serial port but I have a docking station for it that does have a serial port and that works fine. Of course the laptop needs to be docked but that doesn't concern me because I built a garage trolley for the whole setup.

So, check your docking station options also... might just be an option for you. Good luck - it's a real PITA to get set up but has proven invaluable for me.

Edited by M3AN

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

E39's will require ADS @Young Thrash Driver so start your research there. Look up "TinyADS" on eBay. Then INPA and DIS - the drivers work on 32bit Windows only.

@Olaf - What @Gabe79 said. He bet me to it. ^_^ I'd try and grab his VM's if you can, would reduce the frustration manyfold!

Erm, what am I missing here? My cable is OBD2 to USB and I use PS Soft and INPA and NCSExpert on my dull-ish new-ish laptop. What is it I am losing by not using a 32-bit OS? (I use Win10x86_64 on that laptop and my VM is Windows 8.1 x86_64)

27 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Cheers for that Dave. Sadly (or not) the laptop I was going to use isn't that old.

I'll give Andy a bell, he was talking about old laptops going cheap for this job a while ago

You don't need an old laptop at all...

21 minutes ago, M3AN said:

No worries mate... my laptop is not that old either actually and doesn't have a serial port but I have a docking station for it that does have a serial port and that works fine. Of course the laptop needs to be docked but that doesn't concern me because I built a garage trolley for the whole setup.

So, check your docking station options also... might just be an option for you. Good luck - it's a real PITA to get set up but has proven invaluable for me.

Why oh why are you using serial ports in 2017? 

EDIT:If you truly must use something that has a serial port, at least get a rs232<>USB converter and bring yourself into this century. :) 

Edited by Gabe79

2 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Erm, what am I missing here?

ADS

Why oh why are you using serial ports in 2017?

ADS

EDIT:If you truly must use something that has a serial port, at least get a rs232<>USB converter and bring yourself into this century. :) 

Doesn't work.

This has all be tried, tested and tried again by many people in many places. Trust me, there's one way only to get ADS working with a normal laptop.

;)

2 minutes ago, M3AN said:

ADS

ADS

Doesn't work.

This has all be tried, tested and tried again by many people in many places. Trust me, there's one way only to get ADS working with a normal laptop.

;)

What functionality does ADS provide that PA Soft/INPA/NCS Expert do not provide?

Clarification. I double checked. My VM is actually Windows 7 x86_64 and it's on KVM, not VirtualBox. I would be happy to make a virt using whatever software is most common and share setup instructions to get stuff working though.

Edited by Gabe79

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

What functionality does ADS provide that PA Soft/INPA/NCS Expert do not provide?

ADS is the communications protocol, not the software. ADS is BMW's protocol and pre-dates OBD.

Take a 1994 E36 for example - no comms available via OBD, all comms via ADS

1997 E36 - some comms read only via OBD, all read/write via ADS

Pre 1998 (build) E39 - ADS

Post 1998 E39 - does not support even support ADS apparently 

I think post 2001 everything (read/write) can be done via OBD but I stand to be corrected on that.

The point being, if you have a 90's BMW you more likely than not need ADS for full compatibility. You can do basic stuff on later 90's cars with OBD but not everything.

Edited by M3AN

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

ADS is the communications protocol, not the software. ADS is BMW's protocol and pre-dates OBD.

Take a 1994 E36 for example - no comms available via OBD, all comms via ADS

1997 E36 - some comms read only via OBD, all read/write via ADS

I think post 2001 everything (read/write) can be done via OBD but I stand to be corrected on that.

The point being, if you have a 90's BMW you more likely than not need ADS for full compatibility. You can do basic stuff on later 90's cars with OBD but not everything.

Thank you! Is it th fat round connector that lives in th engine Bay?

My e39 is a 2001 and everything works just fine over obd2 never had to research older. 

Edit: the history of obd is quite interesting. It became required in the US from '96 but uptake and standardisation varied worldwide until around 2002ish.

Edited by Gabe79

Just now, Gabe79 said:

Thank you! Is it th fat round connector that lives in the engine Bay?

Yep, that's the one, the "Pac Man" connector. :)

Just now, M3AN said:

Yep, that's the one, the "Pac Man" connector. :)

Thanks. Now I get it. ?

This shouldn't apply at all to the e60/e90 crowd all of whom can get USB cables with obd2 connectors. Of the commenters here, it's only YoungTrashDriver who might need that if his e39s are older than 2001.

• Like 1

Just now, Gabe79 said:

This shouldn't apply at all to the e60/e90 crowd all of whom can get USB cables with obd2 connectors.

I think that's correct although I'm not the authority on what ADS and ODB can and can't do post ~2001, especially when it comes to writing to modules.

Just now, M3AN said:

I think that's correct although I'm not the authority on what ADS and ODB can and can't do post ~2001, especially when it comes to writing to modules.

On my 2001 I haven't found something yet I couldn't break by playing around with the computer. ? All via obd2. 

• Like 1

The 520i is a 1998 model and has "Pac-man", the 530i's are early 2003 and very much 16pin OBD2, no pacman to be seen there

I'm thinking a K-Line cable with an additional Pacman to serial adapter for  the older car