E30 325i Rag-Top

DTM: BMW partners with TV3 to bring Kiwi fans coverage of world's

For those of you that missed the announcement on CRC Motorsport Show on Sunday:

BMW Group

New Zealand

Corporate Communications

Media Release

22 April, 2013

BMW partners with TV3 to bring Kiwi fans coverage of world’s best touring car series.

DTM fans in New Zealand will soon be able to see regular free-to-air coverage of arguably the world’s best racing action, the German Touring Car Masters, courtesy of BMW and TV3.

The new broadcast partnership will see highlights of all ten DTM rounds broadcast in the primetime Sunday afternoon slot as part of the hugely popular CRC Motorsport Show.

“BMW returned to DTM racing in 2012 and enjoyed a successful homecoming to the series, with Bruno Spengler from BMW Team Schnitzer securing the championship in the final race of the season,” said the Managing Director of BMW Group New Zealand, Nina Englert.

“It was a momentous achievement considering it was the team’s first year back in the series, and the fact the title was decided on the final weekend was testament to the close racing throughout the whole of the season. Race fans should expect many similar battles throughout 2013.”

CRC Motorsport presenter, Shaun Summerfield, attended a DTM round at Norisring in 2012 and is looking forward to the start of the new season with great anticipation.

“DTM cars are the most extreme example of a Touring Car on the planet, and with a field of drivers from 11 different nations, including former F1 drivers and the likes of Andy Priaulx, the DTM has genuine global appeal,” said Mr Summerfield.

“The DTM cars sound unbelievable and are amazing machines to admire. For me, these are the best looking race cars anywhere in the world.

“They may only sport a 4.0-litre V8, but do the maths on a DTM and they boast a better power-to-weight ratio than a V8 Supercar or V8 Supertourer.”

The opening race of the 2013 DTM season is at Hockenheimring the morning of Monday May 6 New Zealand time, with coverage on TV3 the following Sunday May 12.

In addition to covering each of the ten rounds, a dedicated season recap highlights package will also screen in November.

Details of the rounds and local broadcast dates are as follows:

Round Race Date Broadcast Date (NZ)

Hockenheimring May 5 May 12

Brands Hatch May 19 May 26

Red Bull Ring June 2 June 9

Euro S'way Lausitz June 16 June 23

Norisring July 14 July 21

Moscow August 4 August 11

Nurburgring August 18 August 25

Oschersleben September 15 September 22

Zandvoort September 29 October 6

Hockenheimring October 20 October 27

post-2707-1366681551.jpg

post-2707-1366681556.jpg

post-2707-1366681560.jpg

perfect. Have been watching it online in HD last season. Will be a good treat for sunday watching.

Yep there go my Sunday arvos !!!

awesome news! Is the DTM BMW based on the 6 series?

:lol: Therein lies my skepticism.

Reserves judgement 'till I've seen a bit.

awesome news! Is the DTM BMW based on the 6 series?

The cars are known as the DTM M3s, but as you can see from the photos they bare very little resemblance to a factory M3!

I think the cars are pretty much custom-built from scratch in carbon fibre, to the rules of the DTM class - engine size, power, aero aids, etc.

Makes for pretty close racing, but with overtaking and panel rubbing as well, not a procession.

Makes for pretty close racing, but with overtaking and panel rubbing as well, not a procession.

Ala E30 racing here :ph34r: