Sign in to follow this  
Brad

Long time viewer, first time poster

Hi all,

This is my first post as although I have been a member for a little while I managed to lose may access details, which delayed me jumping into the forum.

Anyway, I'm keen to get invovled in some track days and as such I need the obligatory overalls and helmet. I've sorted the overalls but am finding it a bit more difficult with the helmets.

I have a friend who uses a motorcycle helmet for auto track days but from my limited research it appears bike helmets do not offer the same impact and fire protection as auto helmets.

Ideally I'd like to visit a store to try on and check out what is available. Via the net I've found a place called Chicane Racewear in Auckland. Has anyone dealt with these guys before. Alternatively can anyone suggest a good store to visit in Auckland?

Apologies if this is a topic that has been covered before (please point me in the right direction if it has).

Cheers.

Hi all,

This is my first post as although I have been a member for a little while I managed to lose may access details, which delayed me jumping into the forum.

Anyway, I'm keen to get invovled in some track days and as such I need the obligatory overalls and helmet. I've sorted the overalls but am finding it a bit more difficult with the helmets.

I have a friend who uses a motorcycle helmet for auto track days but from my limited research it appears bike helmets do not offer the same impact and fire protection as auto helmets.

Ideally I'd like to visit a store to try on and check out what is available. Via the net I've found a place called Chicane Racewear in Auckland. Has anyone dealt with these guys before. Alternatively can anyone suggest a good store to visit in Auckland?

Apologies if this is a topic that has been covered before (please point me in the right direction if it has).

Cheers.

stick with Chicane they have a good range of helmets and race gear

stick with Chicane they have a good range of helmets and race gear

Cheers Rich.

I'll check out Chicane's store.

Welcome Brad.

Be sure to put up some pictures of your M3!

Enjoy the forum.

Have tested a motorcycle helmet at 130k and both the helmet and my head survived. They are possibly better on direct impact such as side window impact. Being full face they are better from a fire pov compared to some of the open faced car helmets.

The key difference is they don't have anchor points for a hans device. The other issue is often they have aerodynamic aids. I find in the m3 with the road seat correctly adjusted the helmet clearance to headlining is minimal and the spoiler at the back of the helmet is very close to the headrest.

Posted Image

PS , The most important part of buying a helmet is one that fits your head properly.

Check out this video for more info

Edited by Neal

I find in the m3 with the road seat correctly adjusted the helmet clearance to headlining is minimal

i find the same in my E34, but i guess the stock seats aren't designed for you to be wearing helmet

Chicane's a good place to shop and try on helmets, and as Neal said, make sure it fits properly.

Bike helmets are more "closed off" than car helmets in the visor area (offers more protection when you fall off a bike) . I wear glasses so I had to buy a car helmet for comfort, and it is better to wear sunnies with also. A full open face helmet is good enough unless you want to protect your eyes from broken glass/debris-from-cars-in-front-of-you-falling off just in case.

oh, post some pics please :)

Thanks for all the tips.

I borrowed a friends motorcycle helmet for a track day at Hampton Downs and it worked well but I think I'll look for a full face auto helmet for myself. I like the idea of being protected from flying debris and an auto helemt seems to make more sense as that is what I'll be using for.

Also I'll sort myself out re the pics.

Thanks.