Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Got me a VW

Last weekend I purchased a 2005 Golf GTX (has the same 2litre turbo engine and DSG gearbox as the GTI).

Its got a full tan leather interior with wood-grain trim and steering wheel (not to everyone's tastes) but this version is a lot cheaper then the GTI

This video has one identical to mine , colour and interior etc.

Awesome car, a blast to drive in all situations so far, comes stock on 225/45/17 tyres, so i'll probably leave it as it is for a while, front brakes are 312mm discs, to me that's huge compared to what i'm used to, it stops, handles, goes very well for a hatchback.

This car was to replace the old Merc 190e which is on trademe at $1 res.

I needed something that would please both me and my partner, being a fan of manual gearboxes most automatic cars don't cut it for me, this was the closest thing I could get to a manual.

My partner isn't keen on big cars, I also commute 70k's to get us to work and back so fuel economy was important.

Its nice having a car with 12 Air bags and 5 Star Euroncap when you drive on 100k roads a lot.

I love my E30 still, you just can't compare old to newer etc.

You can almost see my E30 next to it.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Charles32

Nice, can't go too wrong with something like that.

Are they relatively reliable as far as you know?

They have some common issues, but nothing over the top, I got home tonight averaging 6.8L/100k

I got a 3 year warranty with the car just in case things go wrong.

They have some common issues, but nothing over the top, I got home tonight averaging 6.8L/100k

I got a 3 year warranty with the car just in case things go wrong.

3 year warranty, nice. Good for piece of mind with something like the DSG gearbox if it ever plays up!

Heard DSG gearbox need servicing (gear box oil change?) every 60000km, hates traffic light GP, besides that they are generally reliable.

Heard DSG gearbox need servicing (gear box oil change?) every 60000km, hates traffic light GP, besides that they are generally reliable.

Yeah that's correct.

Its not that hard to service it myself though, according to the vid I watched on youtub.

Just keep the warranty up or sell it once the warranty finishes.

Some of the most common failures on these vehicles will put you off VW for life when you get the bill according to a friend who works at Qualitat (VW/Audi Parts)

Yeah that's correct.

Its not that hard to service it myself though, according to the vid I watched on youtub.

And invalidate the 3 year warranty in the process (unless you are MTA registered)... They get real picky about service intervals, who serviced it and what was done/replaced/inspected if there is ever a claim on a mechanical warranty.

^^^^^ Yup, seen that with customers cars many times over the years

And invalidate the 3 year warranty in the process (unless you are MTA registered)... They get real picky about service intervals, who serviced it and what was done/replaced/inspected if there is ever a claim on a mechanical warranty.

Haha your sig quote works well with this situation.

They will always try and make you pay.

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel." - Homer J. Simpson