Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

post-16586-1368759439.jpg

I picked up a pretty cheap ($8.8K) 2000 M-sport 540i. Think a couple of members had a poke around it when it was for sale. Anyway, it's not in as good shape as my 528i but I love a project and the engine seems fine barring a small oil leak form the oil filter housing (just an o-ring, I think). Cooling system looks to have been recently overhauled (new radiator and hoses), has a bit of a rough idle from cold, rocker box covers are a little corroded, nothing major but something I'd like to fix along the way but I'm taking baby steps. So in the next few months I'll do the following...

Mechanical:

Full service (oil, filters, transmission)

Check for vacuum leaks (otherwise rough idle may be vanos)

Clean engine bay

Skim rotors (bit of a shake on heavy braking but pretty certain it's just the rotors as suspension looks and feels good)

Clean injectors

Interior:

Good clean inside

Re-colour black upholstery (few cracks and worn bits of leather but easily and cheaply fixed)

Replace a few broken buttons (climate control, etc)

Exterior:

Good wash and wax

Fix small dent in boot

Put the 18" BBS RSIIs from my 528i on

Replace headlights with projectors (might swap from my E39 if the person buying it wants to save some $$$s)

Might take advantage of the Car Folie deal at their new CBD workshop too if my 528i sells quickly

My long term goal was to get an E39 M5 but I've thought long and hard and decided to travel a different (and hopefully) less expensive road. I'm going to start saving for a manual conversion (Ray!) and a VF supercharger kit so will be looking for advice (probably in a year or so when I've got some coin) on what else I'll need to make that work (e.g. brakes, exhaust, cooling, etc).

Edited by jeffbebe

Ah, makes sense now! Great looking car in the best colour!

Ah, makes sense now! Great looking car in the best colour!

Was a bit of dodgy logic. We needed some cash fast so I put my 528i on the market, but realised I didn't want to have no car. I looked around for a cheap 540i from a dealer so I could finance at low payments. Basically... I mortgaged the 528i!! Or at least... I will have done when it sells.

Edited by jeffbebe

Well done, you cant go wrong with a 540i, love the V8. Enjoy!

Well done, you cant go wrong with a 540i, love the V8. Enjoy!

Thanks. I've only had a little play so far but it's a rocket ship compared my 528i. Just switched the wheels and it looks great although the m-sport II suspension looks a little higher than the m-sport suspension in my 528i. Now that I've got them side by side I have realised I much prefer the euro trunk to the US one on the car, so I might have to swap those over at the weekend! Hoping that's an easy job but imagine the lock barrel might be the challenge to swap over. Any advice or DIY threads on how to do that would be welcomed!

Edited by jeffbebe

Oh cool that car, seems like a real good buy for the money.

I'd be inclined swap over the good bits from the 528i for the 540i where possible.

Oh cool that car, seems like a real good buy for the money.

I'd be inclined swap over the good bits from the 528i for the 540i where possible.

Yep, though I'm trying to balance swapping to the new car and ensuring I can get the most for the 528i... Spent quite a bit on a widescreen DVD, bluetooth headunit which I don't think's compatible with the new car, which is a bit of a bummer!

well done . look forward to seing it

well done . look forward to seing it

Thank Brent. I'll drop by and Sunday... Pity I can't bring both of them because I bet you know how to swap the boot lids pretty quickly!! haha

Awesome! Looks really sharp in black, I think we all know how well this one's gonna come up!

Well done!

I'm sure you'll like the 8 :-)

They're not that hungry either.

Awesome! Looks really sharp in black, I think we all know how well this one's gonna come up!

Thanks Tristan. Cashflow means this one will be a slower process with more DIY but hope to have it looking and running perfectly in the next year or so... Then on to the upgrading the power! Was bitten by the bug driving the 550bhp new M5 at Hampton Downs!

They're not that hungry either.

Glad to hear it but not concerned. This car's going to become mostly a weekender so I can be more concerned about using all of its 282bhp than the price at the pump!! Edited by jeffbebe

Thanks Tristan. Cashflow means this one will be a slower process with more DIY but hope to have it looking and running perfectly in the next year or so... Then on to the upgrading the power! Was bitten by the bug driving the 550bhp new M5 at Hampton Downs!

Ahh the new M5. Haven't been lucky enough to sit in the cockpit of one of them! Look gorgeous though. Closest I've gotten to a 550hp BMW was an M6 which was insane to drive! One day the F10 ... :rolleyes:

So I've got an opportunity to cannibalise the 528i before resale. Not too much I plan to swap apart from the wheels but am toying with the idea of swapping the bootlids. The 528's got a euro lid and the 540 a US lid. I think the euro makes the car look wider and a bit sportier (I guess?) and the US a bit stockier and more staunch. Thoughts? Preferences?

EDIT: I should add that both cars are Cosmos Black, the 528 lid is in mint condition but no spoiler and the 540 has the spoiler but also has a small dent.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not sure how easy it'll be to swap and am guessing it'll be easier to fit a new spoiler than try and get the one off the 540 lid. Need to think fast as I've got to sell the 528i fairly quickly!

Edited by jeffbebe

I bought a euro lid off Brent (obviously easier when its separate to the car)

but Hauraki Panel & Paint on the Strand, Parnell swapped 'em over for $50 or something (incl. spoiler)

They've always been excellent and very competitive quotes!

I bought a euro lid off Brent (obviously easier when its separate to the car)

but Hauraki Panel & Paint on the Strand, Parnell swapped 'em over for $50 or something (incl. spoiler)

They've always been excellent and very competitive quotes!

That's pretty reasonable though I don't suppose they're open at the weekend!

Euro, 100%

The Jap/US one does look weird, especially with a NZ plate jammed in it. It always reminds me of those Jap plate metal plate holders that get left under the plates on some cars (like E30's). It looks like an afterthough, where the euro one looks like the "proper" design.

I noticed as soon as I had the euro on my old car that the car looked much wider but this was only when it had a euro plate on the rear.

yeah jap boots look meh

Especially with a bent-edges euro plate :lol:

Definitely a euro boot lid. I should look at swapping mine at some point!

Started ransacking the 528i for it's good bits (though quite a few are not compatible). 528i still looks better I reckon even without the BBS wheels thanks to projector headlights, euro boot lid, tints and lower suspension (can anyone tell me if m-sport I suspension should be lower than m-sport II? Or if m-sport II suspension is adjustable? the 540i looks pretty high).

Still more to do but both cars look mint and I don't want to strip too much from the 528i so it stays a mint car for the next owner.

Anyway, it's all about the pics:

post-16586-1368876695.jpg

post-16586-1368876703.jpg

post-16586-1368876708.jpg

post-16586-1368876714.jpg

post-16586-1368876721.jpg

post-16586-1368876727.jpg

post-16586-1368876733.jpg

post-16586-1368876740.jpg