Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

Picked up the stripped valve covers. Quite a bit of pitting particularly on one side. Also found out that high temp powdercoating is too brittle to cover the inside of the cover and too much risk of the oil breaking it down so no way to really protect the metal from future oxidisation. Going to still go ahead with a black ripple on the top to hide as much of the pitting as possible but with a view to replacing the covers with new aluminium ones in the next 2-3 years.

post-16586-0-38757300-1390956877.jpg

post-16586-0-57910700-1390956894.jpg

post-16586-0-01353100-1390956902.jpg

Yeah black wrinkle will be the way to go!

Amazing how the pitting takes hold.

I shall look forward to seeing the results :)

Same reason I did the textured black. I didn't bother coating the inside of mine. Will see if baking it prior does what I was told.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Turns out the high temp powder is too brittle to use on the inside of the cover anyway so I'm going to have to rely on baking it too! Outside will be a silicone-based powder with a ripple (rather than a wrinkle). Won't hide everything but will look a lot better... At least for a couple of years until I can afford some new aluminium covers.

most engine oils have anti oxidation additives as standard so i wouldnt worry about oxidation inside the covers

They were pretty bad on the inside when I took them off. Presumably the previous owner didn't replace the gaskets or oil often enough.

All new gaskets now and cleaned covers plus regular fresh, good quality oil should see it looking much better next time I need to replace the gaskets.

Got the covers back. Pitting's still really obvious but they look way 100% than before and the powder coat finish is top notch (thanks to Powderworks in Onehunga). Could have filled the pitting but various sources recommended against this as it would not flex exactly as the alloy cover with constant heating and cooling so would eventually compromise the powder coat.

Only alternative was weld filling and that would have been more dollars. All up cost me $125 to strip and powder coat so for that money I'm really happy with them. If I was being fussy I could always apply some wrinkle black paint over the powdercoat which would hide the pitting but the finish on the rest of the covers wouldn't look as good IMO.

post-16586-0-87968800-1391136613.jpg

post-16586-0-27644300-1391136589.jpg

post-16586-0-57129200-1391136600.jpg

• Like 1

Jules, please take this the right way.

Will you stop faffing about with pretty bits and bolt the supercharger on?

• Like 4

hahah! It hasn't arrived yet so I'm preparing for it. Gotta fit the f***ing drive-shaft safety loops which is a bit of a drama and need to save enough to tune and cert it once it's installed so it might be a little while yet!

Got some brand new rotors and pads to go on next so it will slow down with the extra power.

Just a couple of things to note for anyone else doing this, DO NOT acid dip the rocker covers!!!! They are magnesium and will dissolve:( sandblasting is the only option.

DO NOT powdercoat the inside of the covers, one loose flake of powder coating is enough to block an oil gallery and seriously ruin your day.

I got mine blasted and spray bombed them with high temp silver, doesn't look the best but miles better than they did.:)

Just a couple of things to note for anyone else doing this, DO NOT acid dip the rocker covers!!!! They are magnesium and will dissolve:( sandblasting is the only option.

DO NOT powdercoat the inside of the covers, one loose flake of powder coating is enough to block an oil gallery and seriously ruin your day.

I got mine blasted and spray bombed them with high temp silver, doesn't look the best but miles better than they did. :)

They're an aluminium/magnesium alloy. Acid dip is fine as long as you don't leave it in there for too long and clean it thoroughly afterwards though I media blasted mine to provide a better surface for powdercoating. Agreed re: the inside covers. Opted out of powder coating when I found out the high temp powder's brittle and dislodges easily.

Engine's looking much better.

post-16586-0-59654800-1391217632.jpg

I love opening performance parts

• Like 1

Very excite!

I'd be happy to help if you need any assistance with the install :)

Cool! Happy to accept all the help I can get. Planning to do it at Martin's place - he has a well setup garage. Not sure exactly when yet... Needs a whole weekend, I think, plus a flat bed truck or similar to get it to Hi Velocity once installed.

Plus I need to save up for the tune and cert!!

Cool

Random thought. Do you lose your a/c?

Nope, most of the kit goes where the stock airbox is and normally you'd have to refit the secondary air pump upside down to make room for the new airbox which sits behind the front bumper - since I've already removed the SAP it's no biggie. The metal pipes you can see in the box are the new a/c hoses to accommodate the SC. I will have to unhook the A/C whilst installing but mine could do with a re-gas anyway.

Edited by jeffbebe

I'll see you tomorrow about 2PM. Have it ready please.

• Like 1

I'll see you tomorrow about 2PM. Have it ready please.

I would... But I don't think it will fit your 525i, I'm afraid ;)