Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

2003 E46 M3 - Build journey

now save up for some BBS wheels to match that gov issue plate of yours!

^ +1 on some BBS wheels, maybe the CSL-ish M3 type wheels.

Seems like a good price you paid!

What is the currently mileage on it?

Mileage is at 79K - Not planning on selling it. :)

Some BBS LM or CH could be tasty but the OEM 19s have grown on me a lot.

Nice surprise of a DICE iPod integration kit

To do tomorrow:

Get diff bolts replaced with the updated version

Edited by Tristan

Looks in fine order and a great colour. So pleased to see an E46 M3 that isn't grey (or any car that isn't grey these days). You must be stoked!!

I like the idea of a dove grey interior, with the blue paint it is the same combo as my first car, its a nice combo IMHO.

Pictures of the interior??

When are we having a meet, wold be good to see this car and a few other new members cars together.

The light interior is a nice option, it really grew on me when I had the e36.

Looks sexxxy!! I want a e46..

Yeah, it's definitely grown on me. Thanks :)

I like the idea of a dove grey interior, with the blue paint it is the same combo as my first car, its a nice combo IMHO.

Pictures of the interior??

When are we having a meet, wold be good to see this car and a few other new members cars together.

From Tom's post looks like a Queen's Birthday meet. Hoping I can make it!

The dove grey interior has grown on me.

After cleaning it with Lux soap flakes it looks much better. I think it also makes the car feel more spacious inside than the almost overbearing black.

In saying this, I do plan to change the floor mats to black or rubber ones for the winter :)

Update:

The 330d euro short shifter (30% reduction) paired with the ZHP shift knob can be had for less than half the cost of the AutoSolutions SSK. In addition to this, install is also an hour give or take (as far as I can tell)

Here it is:

If it doesn't meet expectations, will take it on the chin and get the AS SSK in future, otherwise could prove a great option for other M3 owners.

I'll also be pairing it with the UUC Dual Sheer Selector Rod to reduce lateral movement when in gear.

($150NZD)

Edited by Tristan

Update:

The 330d euro short shifter (30% reduction) paired with the ZHP shift knob can be had for less than half the cost of the AutoSolutions SSK. In addition to this, install is also an hour give or take (as far as I can tell)

Here it is:

If it doesn't meet expectations, will take it on the chin and get the AS SSK in future, otherwise could prove a great option for other M3 owners.

I'll also be pairing it with the UUC Dual Sheer Selector Rod to reduce lateral movement when in gear.

($150NZD)

Hi mate, looks absolutely stunning in that colour - great purchase! I'm keen on more info on the 330d euro shifter; i.e. where to get one!! I've installed an M5 gearknob, as I wanted to keep the light but didn't like the leather wear on the original M3 one. This doesn't change the throw length however:

Posted Image

Hey bud,

I called Team McMillan and got a quote for the part (for a laugh) $200.

I'm heading over to the US on the 1st of July, I'll be ordering for myself:

330D Lever

Bushing/clip to affix the lever

ZHP shift knob

New leather boot

All this comes to $200USD, + 12 shipping to my hotel.

If you pre-pay me I'm happy to double my order.

As far as the info goes about it, I've read between a 17-25% shift reduction, a slightly slower sitting knob (+ the ZHP knob is also another 1" or so shorter and weighted)

For the price of less than half of the Autosolutions kit I'll give it a go (considering AS SSK also takes 4+ hours to install and I don't have the skills)

This is a 1-2 hour max install.

I'll also be adding a UUC DSSR at some point too but I'll have that shipped over later.

Let me know what you think.

Update:

Here it is:

($150NZD)

I brought a BMW unit ex Turners US - it is great - don't know if the selector rod would make it that much better - must be fairly difficult to fit. As for 1 hour - I may have done it wrong but I removed the exhaust to get at the selector rod clip - the youtube video missed this step

Tristan, I highly recommend the UUC Evo 3 short shifter kit!

Very sturdy and you can adjust how short you want it to do, No plastic parts, all metal. Paired with a weighted ZHP knob is amazing.

You can come have a feel of mine if you are free if ya want.

Hey Tristan, I ll be keen for the ZHP knob. count me in please!

Kevin

Will let you know when I'm placing the order - It will be before 1st July.

I brought a BMW unit ex Turners US - it is great - don't know if the selector rod would make it that much better - must be fairly difficult to fit. As for 1 hour - I may have done it wrong but I removed the exhaust to get at the selector rod clip - the youtube video missed this step

Tom (M3_Power) has recommended the DSSR to reduce the slop when in gear. I will evaluate the difference made by the 330d shift lever and decide whether or not to go ahead with this purchase (and in turn the lengthy install).

It will probably not go ahead.

With regard to the kit you installed, personally I will be having it installed by a shop - I just don't have the skills or time to be messing around in there :) I've read a fair bit that it is possible to do the whole lot from above. Some people say it's easier to re-clip something by going underneath.

Tristan, I highly recommend the UUC Evo 3 short shifter kit!

Very sturdy and you can adjust how short you want it to do, No plastic parts, all metal. Paired with a weighted ZHP knob is amazing.

You can come have a feel of mine if you are free if ya want.

Thanks for the very kind offer Yongxi. Refer to my text (iMessage)

CSET, Easy4Life

Will pack less to allow for extras for you two.

Unfortunately that's as much as I can do though.

I've accounted for 2x 330d set ups, 3x ZHP shift knobs

After reading of Jeffbebe and CSET's successes with Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0 I decided to take advantage of Repco's sale and bought some, $40.00!

On the way back had some nice lighting over the bays so stopped for a quick photoshoot; got some interior shots too this time! The grey has really grown on me. Oh yes, and I vinyled the kidney bezels. I think it looks OK. B)

Edited by Tristan

NICE. It really looks good.

Love the grey! Black is a bit bland, and beige is a bit "pipe and slippers" ;)

Will let you know when I'm placing the order - It will be before 1st July.

Tom (M3_Power) has recommended the DSSR to reduce the slop when in gear. I will evaluate the difference made by the 330d shift lever and decide whether or not to go ahead with this purchase (and in turn the lengthy install).

It will probably not go ahead.

With regard to the kit you installed, personally I will be having it installed by a shop - I just don't have the skills or time to be messing around in there :) I've read a fair bit that it is possible to do the whole lot from above. Some people say it's easier to re-clip something by going underneath.

Thanks for the very kind offer Yongxi. Refer to my text (iMessage)

And people give us SMG owners a hard time ...... No slop on the SMG gear lever action :lol:

Car is looking great with a polish

And people give us SMG owners a hard time ...... No slop on the SMG gear lever action :lol:

Car is looking great with a polish

Hehe, too right about SMG slop.

Polish? B) She ain't been washed all week!

Will give her a good shakedown before next weekend's meet that's for sure though.

Cheers ^_^

Yep. Great looking car. I love the interior but see what you mean re: the two-tone steering wheel... Though I may be just saying that so you sell it to me! haha

PS Kidneys look good, would never have known they were vinyl wrapped. Saved your self $100+ on new ones!

Yep. Great looking car. I love the interior but see what you mean re: the two-tone steering wheel... Though I may be just saying that so you sell it to me! haha

PS Kidneys look good, would never have known they were vinyl wrapped. Saved your self $100+ on new ones!

Hehe thanks Julian. The steering wheel has grown on me (partly due to the price of a new one :P ) but since I've cleaned the leather it's come up much nicer! Going to buy some rubber floor mats at some point seeing as she's in daily commission and also with this weather recently. The grey ones are going to take an absolute beating otherwise.

The kidneys are done with Plastidip (lol) - A spray on vinyl, comes off really easily and without damaging the surface so if I decide to go back to chrome I can easily :)

Look forward to meeting you next weekend, hopefully the Tech 2.0 wax that you've mentioned can do the paint some justice in the flesh!

Edited by Tristan

Look forward to meeting you next weekend, hopefully the Tech 2.0 wax that you've mentioned can do the paint some justice in the flesh!

Yep, fingers crossed I'll be there. Tech 2.0's the business but nothing compensates for elbow-grease. I usually only wax my cars a couple of times a year and then use Meguiar's Quick Detailer (or similar) the rest of the time.

Presume you've got a garage for that beauty!

Yep, fingers crossed I'll be there. Tech 2.0's the business but nothing compensates for elbow-grease. I usually only wax my cars a couple of times a year and then use Meguiar's Quick Detailer (or similar) the rest of the time.

Presume you've got a garage for that beauty!

Heh.. Unfortunately not but she's under a cover :( Going to get one of those custom ones.

My driveway is INCREDIBLY poorly designed, tight corner + elevation = 1 rear wheel off the ground. Can't get up unless you have a 4WD.. I don't have the kahunas to try taking it down.

I have a feeling the M-LSD could help in getting it up but I'd only back it with very new tyres and dry weather - The ground design is that pebble sh*t in cement, when its wet you could run and jump and slide for 20 metres!