Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E39 M5 restoration project

Not sure why TIS would recommend against lubing the pins, it's standard operating procedure really.

Not sure why TIS would recommend against lubing the pins, it's standard operating procedure really.

This pins must be kept clean and lube free in order for the caliper grip action to be smooth.

Grease or lube will swell the pins rubber bushings.

You do need to however lube the after market grass guide bushings often. But, unless race car, too much maintenance and potential disaster if the calipers seize.

This pins must be kept clean and lube free in order for the caliper grip action to be smooth.

Grease or lube will swell the pins rubber bushings.

You do need to however lube the after market grass guide bushings often. But, unless race car, too much maintenance and potential disaster if the calipers seize.

Interesting, cheers. Mine were lubed when I took them out, not sure when they were last disassembled. I've swapped for the brass bushings up front so need to lube mine regardless (and clean them more often). I've not yet done the first 'service' on them and will be interested in how they look, as they have no dust caps.

Oh if i wasnt so poor. GL, someone is going to get a beast.

After having a few low ballers and time wasters during the sale process of my first M5 I decided to make a few improvements to improve the appearance for any new interested buyers.

Wet sanded, polished and waxed the headlights. Pretty straight forward.. 600,800,1000,1200,1500,2000 grits followed by some Meguiars full strength cut compound and a final coat of Mothers caranuba wax. Pics don't quite do it justice but you get the idea.

Before :

post-1689-0-36289300-1452565157.jpg

After :

post-1689-0-44824500-1452565170.jpg

Next up was to replace an exterior door trim piece that had suffered some corrosion.. chemical reaction I believe as this part is made of aluminium.

Old :

post-1689-0-33296400-1452565283.jpg

New :

post-1689-0-75559700-1452565296_thumb.jp

Finally I completed the trunk tool kit with the missing tools :

post-1689-0-76817100-1452565332.jpg

• Like 6

Did you get new trim, or find a good condition S/H? My e39 M5 has similar minor bubbling in same place.

Inspired to complete my own toolkit..........goes out to drive.....raids tools in e38. Job done!

• Like 3

Did you get new trim, or find a good condition S/H? My e39 M5 has similar minor bubbling in same place.

Got a decent one s/h

My other M5 has no bubbling whuch is strange... Defect from factory affecting some?

More likely external conditions. If one was garaged and the other not, for example.