Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E39 M5 restoration project

also yes it will run without the cover attached. but what ever is missing if you dont have the MAFs connected it will not run good Air fuel ratios and even small amounts of running arent the greatest for the o2 sensors or cats so i would avoid it, also the possibility for something small to fall down a inlet tube.

doesnt appear to which is strange, i left mine unplugged on the 540i ran like crap but no check codes.

Just wanting to run it with the manifold off to check for leaks around the damned o-rings which are normaly covered by the manifold is all, so 15 - 20mins of idling with a few revs up to about 3k rpm to help the bubbles in the coolant get out.

probably couldnt hurt, if you are doing o2 sensors anyway just do this before you install the new ones.

and get rid of the cats if it has them, they are good for sweet frig all

Not sure if removing cats will cause ecu trouble. It has pre and post oxy sensors. Will have to look in to it.

Made some good progress today. Passenger side valve cover back on. Plugs, coils and other bits that were in the way were cleaned and re-assembled. Driver side valve cover is off and is now drying after a good cleaning. Thermo housing and o-rings connecting the water pipes are now off for the forth time. Waiting on new o rings to arrive from the usa. Found a very dead mouse under the headlight assembly when removing driver side air intake boxes. No evidence of any wires chewed! Whew!!

i have removed quite a few cats and never had issues, performance cand standard cars.

at worst people recommend an o2 spacer for the post cat sensor.

this pulls the o2 out of the direct flow so it still measures the same gas but doesnt have issues with the extra gas speed.

Posted Image

Would be interested to know more. What differences do they make?

most noticeable was throttle response, it was akin to pushing the 'sport' button.

It also pulled harder through the rev range and now i notice the traction control light coming on when I'm on full throttle in higher gears (in the dry!).

Mind you my old spark plugs had done 90ks so this experience would be exaggerated.

But still highly recommend. I also run the same plugs in my racecar.

Edited by M5V8

i have removed quite a few cats and never had issues, performance cand standard cars.

at worst people recommend an o2 spacer for the post cat sensor.

this pulls the o2 out of the direct flow so it still measures the same gas but doesnt have issues with the extra gas speed.

Posted Image

where would you find these spacers? ... i'd be keen on a set.

Edited by M5V8

Some pics from yesterdays work.

The very dead rodent found festering away in between the drivers headlight, and lower air intake box. I think it was a rat, as it was a bit big for a mouse. At least it was warm for a while. RIP ratty.

Posted Image

Blankets to keep her warm :

Posted Image

Coolant pipes connecting the thermo housing to the coolant pipes traversing the valley area of the block. Still waiting for the large order of o-rings to arrive, the pipe missing the oring, had approx. 1/4 of the o ring sitting underneath it on the block, which was causing the leak.

Posted Image

Mmm a dead rat. How charming... it's quite nasty what one can find.

In light of that it's good to see an M5 get back to its former condition, keep up the good work Martin!

Rat eh ? That must've made you jump?

Reminds me of a guy in Malaysia who had a lizard fall out when he was changing something!

Halfway down page Linky

Rat eh ? That must've made you jump?

Reminds me of a guy in Malaysia who had a lizard fall out when he was changing something!

Halfway down page Linky

mmm roast lizard.

I actually touched it thinking it was some leaves until i saw it's head and then decided to get some long pliers to get it out hehe.

mmm roast lizard.

I actually touched it thinking it was some leaves until i saw it's head and then decided to get some long pliers to get it out hehe.

I had that once getting an old (fake) xmas tree out of our storage unit. Thought it was a decoration but mr. rat had made it home and died in there. haha

More on topic:

Great to see your progress on the car.. The E39 M5s are so awesome, just saw one of the local ones (unfortunately looking a bit neglected)

i have seen them on trademe in the past but none there now by the looks.

should find them on ebay etc.

seem to recall that it was scarles dealer on trademe doing them so might be worth a shot.

or have someone machine them.

They are actually spark plug defoulers. Have a few sets in stock. Sorts out the post-cat fault codes if set up right.

They are actually spark plug defoulers. Have a few sets in stock. Sorts out the post-cat fault codes if set up right.

As in some GT1 magic?

Drivers side valve cover gasket procedure is now done. This was MUCH easier than the passenger side. Not long now till she is back on the road!

PM sent

Car is now back on the road. Finally!

I ended up using some castor-oil based rubber grease to lube the o-rings when re-installing the thermo. housing. No pinches, no breaks, this stuff is much better then vasoline. KTEMP readings are now correct, and not dropping below the thermostat Threshold of 78deg C

Re-assembly took about 3 hours, alot of nuts and bolts to re-install, and torque correctly.

here's a pic of the base of the inlet manifold going back on.

Posted Image

Great work.

+1 - wish I had the courage (and knowhow) to do this kind of work on mine!

It's all Russian to me, mate!

post-16586-1371604765.png

Going to overhaul Vanos and replace all the valve box gaskets, etc. The Beisan Systems DIY is incredibly detailed but it might as well be in Russian as well because I seriously doubt I could manage it without f*cking something up badly!

Google chrome does the translation if you open that link in it.

I would only bother with the Vanos on the M62tu when you have to replace the timing chain rail guides.