Sign in to follow this  
Apex

2014 BMW X5

Oh dear.

Looks like a Lexus GX mixed with a Mercedes GL.

Take the grille off it and I'd have no Idea what it was!

The grille looks very wrong.

this should help bring down the price of the much prettier earlier model.

:)

bonus.

I saw them filming an advert for it at Westhaven at the end of summer, it was certainly less staunch than the current model, and with a fatter luggage compartment sort of like a CRV. It looked good in brown

So it was in its habitat Nath :lol:

I have no opinion on it, just thought I would share, I know there a few X5 fans on here.

Personally I would buy a Ford Raptor!

Oooof... that's ugly!

I think I'd get a Tribeca instead:

Posted Image

It's like they've taken one of them, fitted the biggest kidney grilles they could fit, and cable-tied on a bumper off something else.

Ugh.

The E70 will hold their price now, no-one will want the new one - just like the change from E38 to E65. They sold a shitload of E38's when they were being done away with.

Oooof... that's ugly!

I think I'd get a Tribeca instead:

Posted Image

It's like they've taken one of them, fitted the biggest kidney grilles they could fit, and cable-tied on a bumper off something else.

Ugh.

The E70 will hold their price now, no-one will want the new one - just like the change from E38 to E65. They sold a shitload of E38's when they were being done away with.

What about the original Tribeca! :lol:

Posted Image

bonus.

haha awesome.

Yeah nah, seriously .. shoot the designer and their crap 'design language' with that new tail light mess. No more beersies for you.

Also the design approval board, its probably time to retire .. you had your turn .. it didn't work out so well.

This is a Chinese rip off, it actually looks like BMW are trying to rip of the rip offs.

Posted Image

It's one of those designs that you have to question who the hell approved! Much like the first Tribeca where they must have been blind, and the first X1 where it literally fell out of the ugly tree & smacked every branch on the way down.

To me it looks like a tacky Chinese knock off of a so-so design. Looks like I'll be moving back to Volkswagen when I eventually sell the E90....

Design of the X5 is just fine, its following the current BMW design trend which is an evolution , just remember what was said about the E 39 and 46 and then the E60's .

E39 facelifts and E46 are nice. E60... still ugly. More so on the inside.

bonus.

^my thoughts exactly. really like the look of the performance edition (?) of the previous gen x5

E39 facelifts and E46 are nice. E60... still ugly. More so on the inside.

Have to agree on that one that while pretty uninspiring in most ways the E39 is a more acceptable looking car than the E60, then the new Fxx 5 is great again

bonus.

They kick off for an X5 standard model with the 180kw 540nm engine at 110k which IMO isn't bad when you consider a Landcruiser Prado is 107k which is fitted with engine technology instantly familiar to any 18th century industrialist develops 127kw and 410nm. The X5 also uses more than 1 litre less per 100, also a 5 speed auto on the Prado vs the X5's 8 speed.

Actually, why are there so many Prado's on the road given that above? That's comedy.

I like the new one, but I'd prefer the previous model performance or m50d version in white.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Because they don't f**k out after three years like BMW's do.

People still pay 40k for a 10 year old LC with 200,000km that runs like clockwork.

Because they don't f**k out after three years like BMW's do.

People still pay 40k for a 10 year old LC with 200,000km that runs like clockwork.

There is a percentage of people who sell a car after a few years at any rate & my father in law owns a 2012 Prado VX, it's been in half a dozen times for fueling issues, CD player has been replaced twice and something to do with the gearbox. It also sounds bloody awful especially at hard throttle at say 1500rpm. Also, when you shut the doors, the whole roof resonates as does the bonnet, suggesting the steel is paper thin. They aren't made with a quality feel, sharp edges on fixtures, handles, plastics that feel at home on your margarine container.

One client with a 08-10 Hilux, gearbox replaced (was before 100kms) and fueling issues.

Another mate with a 11 Hiace as a courier, fueling issues, rear suspension issues, 50kms.

Toyota's "bullet proof" image is no more IMO. I'd rather own a Kia personally if I was to go Asian... at any rate, I am talking the new stuff here, yes I do agree 10-20 year old Hilux, Cruiser are good, but today, I'm not so sure.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Toyota's "bullet proof" image is no more IMO. I'd rather own a Kia personally if I was to go Asian... at any rate, I am talking the new stuff here, yes I do agree 10-20 year old Hilux, Cruiser are good, but today, I'm not so sure.

VERY VERY true - they've made sh*t diesels for YEARS. Mitsubishi probably have less trouble with their diesels! Toyotas 4 cylinder diesels are renowned for cracking heads - the "new" D4D engines *MAY* be the only one to change that.

Plus our 2006 Hiace is SO SLOW.. it SHOULD go forever, but it won't I'd rather drive my 1984 VW transporter. handles better, drives better, rides nicer and is bigger.

Current hiluxs have several major, repetitive issues : Injectors and clutches are very common (I known multiple people with multiple warranty claims on both of them).

Toyota hasn't been at the top of a lot of car reliability studies for YEARS, plus anything that performs so averagely SHOULD last longer. A new BMW is so complex, that it SHOULD have more problems than a car with no goodies.

Really, I thought they were still the most reliable brand, or is that a completely different company, Lexus I think they are called.

Agree the Hilux is gutless and rather average to drive, to be fair overall its out dated compared to the new Ford.

Have multiple mates with new gen Hilux and Hiace and none have had any problems, some tow race cars and other work the land and treat them like sh*t on farms.

Have multiple mates with new gen Hilux and Hiace and none have had any problems, some tow race cars and other work the land and treat them like sh*t on farms.

Two of the guys I know are both diesel mechanics - one was his Mrs car, and had multiple injectors and a clutch, he bought as a demonstrator and sold it at about 50K, when it's 3 year warranty was up. Other guy had a set of injectors when he pointed out he was more qualified that the Toyota tech, on how to do the job correctly, and it had multiple injectors and 2 prior clutches with the last owner, who was also a local business owner known to my mate. He brought at just under 90k from the dealer, previous owner was selling before the warranty expired too.

If you look at the reliability sutdies, they all vary a bit, and Toyota does hold some spots, as does Lexus and the US Toyota brand, Scion. There are Citroens and Volvos rated higher on some tables, and in the US studies, toyota commercials don't rank - the US made stuff is better it seems.

Over all, you CANNOT define a specific brand as reliable - but you can with specific models, to a point.

You do have to be careful reading the studies though - some use average repair cost over a time period, some use faults per 100 cars etc, etc. They tend to look at ALL repairs too, not just major or minor. So a 7 series BMW will have trouble competing with a Corolla, as the corolla has half as many parts (probably less!) so if a soft-close motor on a 7 breaks, it's a fault, where the corolla doesn't have them.

We had a rental fleet of old crap a number of years back, and the cars where mostly 90's and early 2000's models. Of those, Nissan and Mazda had marginally lower cost per km as far as repairs went in our fleet (about 120 vehicles). The Mazdas only really lost out, as cambelts popped up a few times, where the Nissans generally had chains.We didn't really have major problems, other than a few headgaskets, transmissions and minor issues popped up fairly often,

Oh yeah... for common models - BMW parts don't look too badly priced when you compare to toyota (or other japanese) genuine parts.

Really, I thought they were still the most reliable brand, or is that a completely different company, Lexus I think they are called.

Aren't the Lexus vehicles screwed together in different factories to the Toyota models? Pretty sure the Land Cruiser / Prado are built out of Japan and the Lexus SUVs are put together in the states?

If you look closely at these reliability studies, many of the results are based around the owners "perception" of the reliability - not actual faults and issues.

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

Oh yeah... for common models - BMW parts don't look too badly priced when you compare to toyota (or other japanese) genuine parts.

You want to have a quick look to see what Ford parts are worth, you'd be blown away at their pricing, especially when you compare it to parts made by the same place sold in places like Repco, Apco e.t.c.

Aren't the Lexus vehicles screwed together in different factories to the Toyota models? Pretty sure the Land Cruiser / Prado are built out of Japan and the Lexus SUVs are put together in the states?

Not 100% on this but the large SUV 200 series landcruiser and lexus equivalent (and absolutley horrid to look at btw) are glued together in the same factory I believe for the same markets.

Ok, Ive had a good look and done a bit of a comparison to the old car.

Strangely its not that much different to the previous model.

The changes are actually only 3 main things and here is how I think theyre falling down.

rear tail lights are too long looking. This is because they have been extended a little inwards and angled more. Also they have added longer lines in the tail light.

The number plate recess doesn't exist .. and I think this is what missing and making it look weird.

The lower tail gate flap fold line has been dropped too .. this is giving the impression that the tail lights are higher than they really are .. adding to the weird look.

The only other thing that's no right with it is the wheels they have used for the photo shoot are the non sports model. So it looks a bit funny with small wheels. The side flares and side skirts don't exist in this version. So it might look a lot better when its not the plain Jane version.

I like most of it except for the grill, but I think we'll get used to it.

Agree with Josh. The pictures are of the base spec model. The sports version with all the good sh*t hanging off it will look much cooler. Poverty pack e70s/e53s (actually almost any car, BMW or otherwise) look comparatively crap to the higher spec models.

I wouldn't ever buy a modern Japenese diesel. I've heard endless stories of them imploding. My grandad has been through a Pajero, and 2 BT-50s in the last 2 years both of which essentially had to be binned. After hundreds of trips in and out of the dealership to fix various issues he gave up when the mechanics couldn't get them working right. He gave up on the diesels and now has a CX7 petrol he's very happy with.

He's an old school mecahnic and is always harping on about how good jappas are and to avoid the euros. The ironic thing is my parents BMWs have been 10x more reliable than any of the car's he's owned in the last 10 years.

The euros (BMW) lead diesel innovation and the japs are still playing catch up - very poorly. Stay awaaay

Edited by kingkarl

Probably because NZ is gay for Toyota and think just because it is one its more reliable than anything and never breaks down.