Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Some questions regarding the E39 4:3 Mk2 stereo system

It appears I have a rather odd system in the M5. Has the Mk2 4:3 onboard monitor, but no dsp, and no hifi - just 6 speakers - I couldnt see an amp in the boot with the 9pin and 26pin connector for the 10 speaker arrangement. There is also a seperate MID in the rear centre console, that has the ability to change stations, switch between radio, tape and cd. The OBC functions can also be displayed.

Thinking that I did have the amp, I was just going to install a small old-school Alpine 2 channel amp to power a sub to fill in the low end. I have done this on my previous 540i that had the 10 speaker hifi system, and was happy with it, as im not cranking it up passed 11 like i used to when i was younger.

So with the stereo I have in the M5, i'm wondering how many watts continuous is being powered to the 6 speakers? Im thinking about just replacing the front 5.25 woofers and tweeters with some mid-range Alpine component units. I'm not going to bother though if the output is something really measly like <5 watts rms per channel.

It appears I have a rather odd system in the M5. Has the Mk2 4:3 onboard monitor, but no dsp, and no hifi - just 6 speakers - I couldnt see an amp in the boot with the 9pin and 26pin connector for the 10 speaker arrangement. There is also a seperate MID in the rear centre console, that has the ability to change stations, switch between radio, tape and cd. The OBC functions can also be displayed.

Thinking that I did have the amp, I was just going to install a small old-school Alpine 2 channel amp to power a sub to fill in the low end. I have done this on my previous 540i that had the 10 speaker hifi system, and was happy with it, as im not cranking it up passed 11 like i used to when i was younger.

So with the stereo I have in the M5, i'm wondering how many watts continuous is being powered to the 6 speakers? Im thinking about just replacing the front 5.25 woofers and tweeters with some mid-range Alpine component units. I'm not going to bother though if the output is something really measly like <5 watts rms per channel.

Depending on what radio module is fitted, it'll be either:

BTL, delivering "high power", around 25W RMS per channel (4 channels)

non-BTL, delivering "low power" around 6W RMS per channel (4 channels)

So tell us what radio module is fitted (read the label on the module, or query it using NavCoder)

On this, how much watts is being powered to the speakers on a system with the amp in the boot?

I have the 4:3 monitor, 1997 540i

On this, how much watts is being powered to the speakers on a system with the amp in the boot?

I have the 4:3 monitor, 1997 540i

With or without DSP?

With or without subwoofer?

Standard amp:

DSP Amp:

10 Channels x 25W per channel = 250W

(Front = 6 channels, rear = 4 channels)

Standard Amp:

25W per bass channel = 4x25 = 100W

15W per mid and per high range channel = 6x15 = 60W

Total = 160W

Add subwoofer at about another 30W per channel, 2 channel, = another 60W or so.