Sign in to follow this  
Ace Of Spades

Bmw e3 price guide?

Hey guy's

I went and looked at a bmw e3 recently and was just wondering what it could be worth. The seller has asked for an offer instead of asking for a certain price.

Its a 2.5 auto, around an estimated 329,00km, paint work in terrible state, interior in good condition, little bit's of rust (haven't had a proper look underneath yet) , run's wof'd and reg'd, auto been rebuilt and engine has done less kms.

Also if any one knows of any common problems/issues these have would be greatly appreciated

post-15830-1370234651.jpg

post-15830-1370234662.jpg

post-15830-1370234669.jpg

post-15830-1370234679.jpg

Cheers

Sam

looks ok , rust is gonna be your main problem with these old cars .

and some parts are hard to get or costly etc .

mech and electrics are pretty simple etc

i have some spares for these cars .

but get it on a hoist so you can check the under side of the car ,

look around under all the trims carpet etc for rust .

5spd conversions are possible but might be hard to find the donar parts.

engine swap to a 528i 535i etc will be possible..

??? being only a auto and 2.5L $1-3k ???? dont know ,

not many about but not that sort after either

3L manual worth more , but worth a lot more when its the coupe

I like it, you need it, offer a K.

good candidate for an m52 conversion.

great 'old skool' look to it

Probably $1500. I sold my VERY rusty 3 litre manual for $500 & my 2.5 auto for $1000.

That's not owned by 2 brothers is it? I sold my 2.5 to 2 brothers who were rebuilding their dads 2.5 / auto. They bought mine because they got the gearbox rebuilt in their dads one but it wouldn't go into reverse, so the bought mine just for the gearbox.

PS: The brothers were both in their early 50s and i think their dad had the E3 from new.

Probably $1500. I sold my VERY rusty 3 litre manual for $500 & my 2.5 auto for $1000.

That's not owned by 2 brothers is it? I sold my 2.5 to 2 brothers who were rebuilding their dads 2.5 / auto. They bought mine because they got the gearbox rebuilt in their dads one but it wouldn't go into reverse, so the bought mine just for the gearbox.

PS: The brothers were both in their early 50s and i think their dad had the E3 from new.

Thats the guy... they have quite a few now haha

Probably around $1000.

Its a 2500 - so the "base" model of the E3 - and an auto - so least desirable in my opinion.

For rust...check the doors - the E3 and E12 generally rot the bottoms of the doors

Check around the A pillar especially at the bottom - remove the inner guard liners if possible.

Check above the headlights - as mud traps on the headlight boxes

Check the front valance under the bumper - they can get quite rusty here.

Check boot floor in the corners by the tail lights - they leak around the seals and the water pools

Check the bonnet for rust...front edges...and rear around the vents...the frame is usually worse than the skin

Check along the body mouldings - can rust where the steel moulding clips are situated

Check the fuel tank for leaks, the water sits on the top lip of the tank...where it bolts through the boot floor, and rots here...around the welds for the two halves of the tank.

Check the boot floor around the rear diff mount for cracks - the flat section between the rear strut towers

Check the floor around the handbrake....the lever works the floor...this can be cracked

You probably wantto have a look around for a 3.0, and get the brakes off it, vented vs solid disk on the 2500