Sign in to follow this  
Surge

E34 M30 camshaft wear

Just wondering what the options are as far as repacing a worn camshaft (front lobes are worn) - vehicle is a 535i (M30).

Obviously the camshaft will need replacing/regrinding but I'm not too sure what else will need to be done (or should be done) at the same time? Ie. is it worth replacing the rockers, eccentrics, rocker shafts etc..? (Pelican parts doesn't seem too bad in regards to pricing)

Going from my m20 I'll need to lift the head to get the camshaft out so that will be coming off too...

Failing that - is it more cost effective to either get a new (second hand) motor, or a new (second hand) head?

Cheers!

Edited by Surge

A camgrind will cost you around $400... an aftermarket cam like a Shrick $600 - 800 (last time I looked years ago)

Might almost be cheaper throwing a whole second hand engine in... obviously once the cam is worn you're likely to run into other things that need doing, valve springs / valve seats / lapping etc etc.

Id check the wear on the rockers,cam ecentrics and test the valves for leakage before decided if they needed replacement.

If they check out then id just do valve guides and valve springs along with the cam and leave it at that unless you dont mind spending the money on replacing everything for piece of mind\longevity

A 2nd hand motor is around $500 and you'd still have to check the condition of that one, another motor may have other things worn that your one may not, timing chain & components come to mind

Cheers for the replies.

That's the problem I've got with the second hand motor - having the exact same problems/other problems. The current engine doesn't smoke and besides the camwear issue otherwise seems fine (eg bottom end).

I'm not too fussed about spending a bit of coin if it means that the engine is going to be reliable from there on. Is it worth doing the timing chain/tension guides etc at the same time?

You dont want to replacing the chain guides\chain unless they are quite worn as its a completely different job to removing the head.

Once you have to head off you will be able to see clearly the wear on the guides from the grooves and check the chain sprocket and tensioner for wear, both of which are easily replaced. If you have to do the guides a new chain id probably get a new chain at the same time for piece of mind.

How many km has the engine done?

Edited by Eagle

Should be fine then

Doesn't make sense that an engine with just 120km's on it would have significant camlobe wear?

Does if its had loose spray bar bolt\s at some point in its life

Does if its had loose spray bar bolt\s at some point in its life

correct i had a 1990 535i that had done only 67,000km and required a new camshaft due to the oil spray rail bolts coming loose.

i brought a new camshaft (old stock from EML ) for about $400

new head gasget set

couple of new rockers etc

bolted it all on job done.

From a quick bit of research I've heard BMW updated the bolts that hold the spray bar to ones that have a locking compound applied to them... therefore I'd assume that this motor has had this problem in the past.

BMW also do an 'exchange' complete cylinder head/valve train.

Was $1700-ish back in '06