Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 530i tidy up + mods

BMW 530i 2001 M-Sport

Thought I'd make a page to keep track of things I do to the new e39 530i I bought off Tristan last month. It was already tidy, with small things here and there that would need addressing due to age. I plan to sort out all problems so it runs like new and then begin doing some simple mods to start with for aesthetics and eventually performance

My maintenance spreadsheet can be viewed here (the maintenance list is copied below): Bonnie FMN675 - BMW 530i 2001 Maintenance List

Goals
In no particular order or date

• Manual conversion.. one day
  • Forced induction.. one day
  • Performance/track savvy brakes.
  • 18" wheels (need to decide brand/style)
  • Bigger sway bars (e.g. m5 rear)
  • Slightly whiter low beam lights to match the white angel eyes (don't like the dull yellow)
  • Restore paint fades and any small dings / paint scratches all around the car
  • Some small stains on the driver side seat that I'm going to try to remove (any ideas anyone?)
  • Decent sub woofer so that there is actually some bass in the sound system
  • Upgrade the head unit / TV with Dynavin or something similar to retain the screen.
  • Upgrade from the stock speakers to perhaps 6.5" ones (Exact model to be decided)
  • Replace spark plugs. Some people say NGK iridium ones are decent, but I'm inclined to stay with the stock NGK (BKR6EQUP) ones specified by BMW.
  • Considering getting the m5 side mirrors
  • Guibo/prop shaft thing seems to be slowly splitting. Will need to be replaced in the future
  • LED interior lights
  • LED license plate lights
  • Rain sensor needs fixing/replacing
  • Fix some of the seals around the car, because sometimes I can hear a bit of wind noise when on the motorway.
  • Thermostat housing leaking coolant so needs replacing
  • While doing Thermostat, may as well replace water pump and alternator belt as well
  • Upper radiator hoses can go off, so while other cooling parts done, replace that too
  • Small power steering hose under the ATF fluid reservoir SEEMS to be leaking. - fix/replace.
  • Fix oil filter housing gasket oil leak
  • Fix vanos supply hose oil leak
  • Fix new waterpump coolant leak

Repairs/Maintenance Done

• 97000 kms - Rattling Disa valve replaced
  • 97000 kms - Faulty exhaust camshaft position sensor replaced
  • 97000 kms - New induction hose located next to Disa valve installed (old one kind of tore when replacing disa valve)
  • 98000 kms - Rear sway bar links replaced (new links installed)
  • 98000 kms - Broken rear sway bar brackets replaced (1 new bracket, 1 used bracket installed)
  • 100300 kms - Engine oil and filter changed - EXCELLIUM 5w30
  • 100300 kms - Thermostat replaced with brand new OEM Thermostat
  • 100300 kms - Water pump replaced with brand new GRAF Water pump (with Metal Impeller)
  • 100300 kms - Upper radiator hose replaced with brand new one
  • 100300 kms - Handbrake shoes and disc rotors deglazed
  • 100300 kms - Handbrake shoes adjusted
  • 100300 kms - Handbrake cables adjusted
  • 106000 kms - Front subframe replaced. Loose control arm wore out the previous one.
  • 106000 kms - New front left control arm installed
  • 106000 kms - New rear left ball joint installed
  • 110800 kms - New front right tie-rod installed
  • 111400 kms - 6 brand new Bosch spark plugs installed
  • 111600 kms - New thermostat installed to replace leaking one
  • 111600 kms - New rocker cover gaskets installed
  • 111600 kms - New low pressure power steering hose installed
  • 111600 kms - Transmission oil level check and top up
  • 111900 kms - Added center resonators to exhaust system to get rid of droning inside the car.
  • 112900 kms - M5 front bumper upgrade with brake cooling ducts
  • 112900 kms - Headlight upgrade from facelift Halogens to facelift Xenons
  • 112900 kms - Brand new foglights + housings
  • 112900 kms - All headlight and foglight bulbs changed to white bulbs
  • 112900 kms - Full respray of Bonnet, guards and front and rear bumpers
  • 112900 kms - Upper and lower radiator hose replacement
  • 112900 kms - Brand new gloss black kidney grills
  • 113400 kms - Brand new OEM radiator installed
  • 113400 kms - Exhaust camshaft position sensor o-ring replaced (oil leak fix)
  • 113400 kms - Brand new rear OEM rotors and Hawk HPS 5.0 performance brake pads
  • 113400 kms - Brand new front Hawk HPS performance brake pads
  • 113400 kms - Cooling system pressure tested. No leaks (famous last words).
  • 113700 kms - WOF passed
  • 113750 kms - Interior light LED upgrade - White (blue tint) LED's all around
  • 114000 kms - Front tyres replaced. Front left: Bridgestone RE001 ~7.5mm tread. Front right: Bridgestone Potenza RE002 (Brand new)
  • 114100 kms - Left number plate light bulb replaced
  • 114300 kms - Oil service. New oil filter, housing o-ring, drain plug washer + full oil replacement Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30
  • 117500 kms - FULL TRANSMISSION SERVICE - Transmission filter, pan gasket replaced with brand new parts + 6L of new oil
  • 117500 kms - Diagnostic scan run: No errors.
  • 117600 kms - Rear Tyres replaced with brand new Bridgestone Potenza S001 255/45/R17's
  • 117700 kms - Brand new water pump and expansion tank installed
  • 117700 kms - All lower hoses connecting to expansion tank replaced with brand new (P/N: 11531438632, 11531438633)
  • 117700 kms - Old coolant flushed out and brand new BMW coolant (blue) used. ## COOLING SYSTEM OVERHAUL COMPLETE ##
  • 124500 kms - Transmission (ZF5HP19 - A5S-325Z) replaced with one from a 2004 330i. New transmission mileage: ~97000km
  • 131100 kms - Engine oil and filter service. Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30.
  • 131100 kms - Thermostat replacement due to coolant leak
  • 134000 kms - Idler pulley and drive belt tensioner pulley replaced
  • 134000 kms - Exhaust cam sensor o-ring replaced (oil leak fix)

Mods Done:

• 2 x 10" Soundstream Sub woofers + after market amp installed in boot.
  • After market twin pipe exhaust tips
  • Centre exhaust muffler removed
  • Hawk performance brake pads all round
  • Xenon headlight upgrade
  • M5 front bumper with brake cooling ducts
  • Interior LED lights upgrade

Photos of car

15701395216_c409573901_b.jpg

15726665792_1fa177e67b_b.jpg

15723192141_90005a5936_b.jpg

530i_5.jpg

Soundstream subs
530i_8.jpg

Edited by Arma

Some toys just arrived from Pelican Parts.

Hopefully will solve the fuel consumption issue, thermostat needed replacement - was getting over 14L/100km highway cruising! While at it, figured may as well replace some of the other parts as well that I can chuck in with the shipping package I chose:

• Wahler thermostat
  • GRAF Waterpump (metal impeller)
  • Upper radiator hose
  • Water pump belt
  • Upper radiator rubber mounts (one of mine was missing)

All OEM except I think the water pump, which has metal impeller opposed to the OEM composite ones I think? Mine might still have the ones with plastic impeller still in it, unless it was replaced - haven't checked. Was going to order a fan clutch but ended up not doing so, hopefully that's still in OK condition.

Posted Image

Edited by Arma

nice.

how much did that set you back?

nice.

how much did that set you back?

Total came to about US$247 including shipping, so a little over NZD$300. I was quoted almost $200 just for the thermostat here in NZ :mellow:, so saved a fair bit by getting overseas. OEM water pump would probably cost something stupid here too (not sure). Was considering getting the high performance water pump from Pelican but that was like US $200 and I couldn't justify getting it.

Score! I haven't used Pelican - is shipping reasonable? Most of the US suppliers I've looked offer really cheap OEM parts but shipping is astronomical.

Good luck with the restoration... It's a good looking car (although I'm biased!).

Score! I haven't used Pelican - is shipping reasonable? Most of the US suppliers I've looked offer really cheap OEM parts but shipping is astronomical.

Good luck with the restoration... It's a good looking car (although I'm biased!).

I think the convenience and wide range counters the shipping costs if you buy in a smart way (not heavy suspension items for example)

My last package was around $50 USD and quite large, but light. I only tend to get in under $250 USD of items at once to avoid the NZ GST charge.

Edited by Michael.

Last night was about to buy the windscreen trim from pelican, then thought it check schmiedmann cost me 93nz inc shipping from pelican it was going to be about 85us including shipping just pay to check sometimes had to stop myself from buying lots though

I think the convince and wide range counters the shipping costs if you buy in a smart way (not heavy suspension items for example)

My last package was around $50 USD and quite large, but light. I only tend to get in under $250 USD of items at once to avoid the NZ GST charge.

Yup, shipping is decent if you pick the parts smartly - enough parts but light enough to not qualify for the more expensive shipping options. e.g. if I added a radiator to my package above, the shipping cost would have doubled - if I really needed a radiator then I may as well take advantage of the shipping cost to throw a few more items in until I've got just enough to be within the boundaries of that shipping price :D.

So had those parts I got from Pelican installed today, amongst some other things.

• Brand new GRAF water pump installed (with metal impeller)

• Thermostat w/ housing replaced with brand new one - old one was leaking coolant and causing car to run cold -> why my fuel consumption has been through the roof

• Alternator belt replaced

• Put in new upper radiator mounts (one was missing!)

• Engine oil and filter changed - EXCELLIUM 5w30

• Handbrake shoes and disc rotors deglazed, shoes and cables adjusted

Gauge stays nicely at 12 oclock now while driving :). Glenn noticed a couple things when looking into the parking brake issue:

The rear disc pads were fitted onto worn rotors. The handbrake shoes have never been adjusted and were still at factory settings; the handbrake cables were cranked up causing the handbrake shoes to wear unevenly. The adjustments done today will not bring the parking brakes to 100%, but it's better than it was, just needs to be pulled harder.

Since the discs are worn I'll probably have them changed when I go to change my rear brake pads (which squeak and produce hella dust!)

Other than that, all seems well for now. :D

Edited by Arma

Good to see you have things sorted and hope the fuel consumption comes down.As regards shipping have concerns that it is not as good as it could be from the states.

As per my thread in the maintenance section, had a leak in the power steering hose under the ATF fluid reservoir, and some had sprayed around and collected in the undertray. The clamps were only slightly looser than they should be - tightened both the small and large hose, cleaned the oil off and took it for a drive. Noticed that there is still a tiny bit of ATF fluid seeping from under where the clamps are for the smaller hose (the expensive one). It's not an extreme amount, but hose may need changing at some point, and will need to keep eye on ATF fluid level. At this point, haven't taken the clamps off so can't tell whether there is a hole or something on the hose that is causing it to leak or whether the leak is just coming from the reservoir overflowing sometimes, causing the fluid to fall down onto the smaller hose / and get blown by the wind onto the intake manifold. Will investigate.

Drain the power steering reservoir, trim a small amount off the hose ends, and put them back on with new clamps (quality - not those tridon crap ones!). Don't over tighten either - that's as bad as being too loose and may distort or break the fittings.

Get a new O ring for the cap too - they leak.

Team McMillan repaired a power steering leak when it came up in PPI. If any issues persist, I'd suggest taking it back to them as they may've cut corners or something ... :huh:

Team McMillan repaired a power steering leak when it came up in PPI. If any issues persist, I'd suggest taking it back to them as they may've cut corners or something ... :huh:

Yeah they repaired the high pressure hose underneath, which is fine. After looking at it more closely, it is the power steering cooling hose that is leaking (one going from oil cooler to fluid reservoir). This one:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-530i-M54_...g/Hose/ES54280/

Probably about 30 mins - 1 hour job. Haven't done it before but I'd imagine it would require:

- Drain the reservoir: with maybe big syringe as someone suggested before

- If there's a filter in the reservoir, then will need to drain the fluid from under the filter too after hose is off

- Take off clamps, remove hose, put new hose in.

- Fill reservoir

Doesn't seem to be leaking drastically, so I might just order the hose in amongst some other parts from Pelican and get it done in the coming weeks. Team McMillan quoted hose at $140+GST, BM Workshop quoted $120 + GST. Pelican has it for USD$32.50 :ph34r: . Hopefully things will stay in order until then - will just top up fluid if it goes low.

Oh and Team McMillan couldn't really give me details of service history / invoices for the car as it was done by the warranty company - told me to ask previous owner for them.

In other news, ordered the power steering cooling hose from Pelican, along with new O-ring for the reservoir cap. Ordered a new flex disc as well, which I'll have installed later as my current one is slowly cracking. Hopefully arrives next week. :)

Edited by Arma

More toys arrived from Pelican Parts. The power steering hose to replace my currently leaking one. Also got a new flex disc - my current one is beginning to show cracks/splits.

• Power steering cooling hose
  • ATF Reserve O ring
  • Flex Disc / Giubo (not going to replace just yet, but later on)

Posted Image

Failed a WOF yesterday due to a play in front left and rear left wheels.

Upon investigation today @ Glenn's, it appears one of the bolts on the front left lower control arm was not tightened when it was installed (by another repairer a couple years ago). So the arm was moving around loosely, and because of this, over time the teeth on the control arm end wore out both ends of the subframe it is supposed to be supported on (see photos). This means even if the bolt is fully tightened now, it will cause that subframe area to bend, which is potentially dangerous as it's aluminium and it could crack while driving.

Basically it will need a new front subframe/cross-member, and possibly another control arm too as the teeth have slightly worn out. The play on the rear left wheel is just a ball joint which will need replacing as well. Might see if I can buy a used subframe from Ray. Fun fun.

Wear caused by the control arm teeth
FMN675_control_arm_teeth_wear1.jpg
FMN675_control_arm_teeth_wear2.jpg
FMN675_control_arm_teeth_wear3.jpg
FMN675_control_arm_teeth_wear4.jpg

The Control Arm Teeth
FMN675_control_arm_teeth_wear5.jpg
FMN675_control_arm_teeth_wear6.jpg

Edited by *Glenn*

Adeeb... I must say that I'm not sure you should continue driving the car untill it's been repaired. It's potentially dangerous, as I said to you today.

• Like 1

Adeeb... I must say that I'm not sure you should continue driving the car untill it's been repaired. It's potentially dangerous, as I said to you today.

Yep, I most likely won't be. I live 1km from work anyway so can walk it, or maybe drive there once or twice if I really need to.. Although I'll probably drive it to you when dropping it off for repair :)

Took the car to Ray's this morning to have the entire subframe replaced, as well as the front left lower control arm and the rear left lower ball joint. Got the car back in the afternoon - was quicker than I expected! Thanks Ray.

Will need to go get a wheel alignment done now and then hopefully go pass the WOF.

That's frustrating, would that amount of play not be noticed at WOF and servicing? Or is it only apparent when it gets that bad?

That's frustrating, would that amount of play not be noticed at WOF and servicing? Or is it only apparent when it gets that bad?

Last WOF was done in May and suspension hasn't been serviced since. Guess they didn't notice the play during that WOF (maybe it just got worse in the last few months).

Got the wheel alignment done today, and then went for the WOF, which passed. :)

• Like 1

Haven't updated this in a while. Car is currently at ~112000km.

Just got in a few parts:

- 6 new spark plugs
- new thermostat - to replace my current one, which has been very slowly leaking coolant through the sensor area
- new rocker cover gasket - to fix oil leak that's been there forever

post-17136-0-26848700-1403309025.jpg

Installed the plugs last night. Could be placebo but driving feels a bit smoother - torque/power feels more consistent.
Have also recently changed the front right tie rod for WOF (the plastic boot was not tied down properly, so water got in and rusted the rack end, causing play in the wheel).

Going to get the thermostat and gasket in next week somewhere. Too busy to be without a car even for a day atm though, so will see if timing suits.

Next on the list:

- Re-spray rear bumper. Ever since someone did hit n run at the car park, haven't had the chance to fix the scratches left behind. Will do this very soon.
- Have talked to Jason at Woolf mufflers about putting a mid resonator in my exhaust system to reduce the droning inside the car but produce a deeper note outside, something I would not mind at all.
- Vanos seals (Ray does these right?) - minor oil leak coming from the Vanos area
- Transmission service - replace filter and gasket (and oil?)
- Fix some creaking sound that sometimes appears when adjusting steering wheel height up and down. Online forums point to a specific nut under/behind the steering wheel that causes this. Looks like a simple fix.
- Audio upgrade - Considering upgrading the front speakers.

Some stuff to do :).

Edited by Arma
  • Like 1

Got the new rocker cover gasket, thermostat and one of the power steering hoses installed by Glenn today (Botany Motorworx). No more of those leaks now :).

Will need to do transmission service soon - apparently the oil is quite dirty.

• Like 1