Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 530i tidy up + mods

bugger about the subframe!! did you have to get a whole new subframe??

Nice tidy up! Im following this thread now to use as a baseline for some of my "fix ups" and under body mods... :)

• Like 1

bugger about the subframe!! did you have to get a whole new subframe??

Yep. Luckily Ray had a second hand one to sell, so did the install over at his workshop.

Had some resonators installed at the center (replacing the straight pipes) this morning to get rid of the cabin droning. Sounds very pleasant inside the car now, and the outside still sounds good - though slightly quieter, but a fair bit deeper. Liking it so far!

• Like 1

Apart from the crapload of stuff I had to get to fix the crash (http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/50725-e39-530i-crash/), ordered a few parts for maintenance/cosmetic stuff from ECStuning:

• Upper and lower radiator hoses (kind of due to crash... upper one looked squashed. Lower is fine from crash but aging and hasn't been replaced)
  • Parking brake shoes. Been due for a replacement for a while, they barely hold and I need hulk strength to get clicks when pulling the brake lever. Dunno if I need new cables for this? Can get new ones here if i do
  • Hawk HPS 5.0 Performance Brake Pads set (rear) - will likely need rear rotors too so will order genuine bmw ones locally
  • Hawk HPS Compound Performance Brake Pads set (front)
  • Platinum White H7 Halogen Bulb - Pair (High beams)
  • HB4/9006 Super White Halogen Bulb - Pair (Fog lights) .. just to match the white car, never liked the yellow/amber
  • Gloss black kidney grilles from ECS that I'm told actually fit well unlike a lot of aftermarket ones

Other thing(s) I will get in the next couple weeks:

• Transmission filter kit (filter, gasket and whatever else required) - transmission oil is currently yuck so pretty much needs a service

Things to do in the very near future:

• Diagnostic scan (perhaps will do it myself once my inpa/ediabas interface arrives)
  • Fix small oil leak coming from the Vanos area and falling close to the exhaust cam position sensor - perhaps a full Vanos seal job?
  • Replace rain sensor behind rear-view mirror. Doesn't sense anything atm.
  • New tires

Oooo! Lots of new stuff... Good luck with the grilles. I spent a fortune on E39 gloss black grilles with 'guaranteed perfect fitment'. Of course they didn't. Cheaper and better to get genuine FL grilles, some sandpaper, paint and clear coat.

The rain sensor might just need re - initialisation. I have inpa if you need help with setting it up :)

Ah, actually I should try that before ordering. Waiting for the inpa cable I ordered still but might end up pinging you for setup help at some point.

Oooo! Lots of new stuff... Good luck with the grilles. I spent a fortune on E39 gloss black grilles with 'guaranteed perfect fitment'. Of course they didn't. Cheaper and better to get genuine FL grilles, some sandpaper, paint and clear coat.

Yeah, I was told by some other peeps I know that these fit well. But yeah you never know - might end up getting some genuine ones here if those fail.

Have you still got my old ones? :-)

• Transmission filter kit (filter, gasket and whatever else required) - transmission oil is currently yuck so pretty much needs a service

Just did mine, the so called lifetime fluid was black pretty much, but no metal shavings as such, so a good idea to do that.

Be sure to use the correct tranny fluid Esso LT 71141 compliant.

First box of toys arrived this morning.

15554203932_65d44290d4_b.jpg

Just ordered an OEM radiator. Figured may as well go ahead and replace that while everything is out - can't be stuffed having all the cooling parts taken out so many times to replace 1 part at a time...

Just did mine, the so called lifetime fluid was black pretty much, but no metal shavings as such, so a good idea to do that.

Be sure to use the correct tranny fluid Esso LT 71141 compliant.

Yep, mine is pretty much black as well, and the gasket is probably bad too cause there seems to be oil leaking around that area slightly.

Just ordered an OEM radiator. Figured may as well go ahead and replace that while everything is out - can't be stuffed having all the cooling parts taken out so many times to replace 1 part at a time...

Yep, mine is pretty much black as well, and the gasket is probably bad too cause there seems to be oil leaking around that area slightly.

Mines had so many oil leaks its hard to know whats what sometimes hehe.

but a lot of mine was due to the CCV Valve, it caused a chain reaction of problems, which started with the valve cover cracking.

Its probably a good idea to replace all those bits sometime.

Mines had so many oil leaks its hard to know whats what sometimes hehe.

but a lot of mine was due to the CCV Valve, it caused a chain reaction of problems, which started with the valve cover cracking.

Its probably a good idea to replace all those bits sometime.

Yeah I know what you mean. I got little bits of oil falling on my exhaust cps, but not sure whether it's from vanos or something else. I replaced the valve cover gaskets couple months ago as it was dripping oil onto exhaust manifold, but that's sorted now so can't be that (I hope :D ).

Yeah I know what you mean. I got little bits of oil falling on my exhaust cps, but not sure whether it's from vanos or something else. I replaced the valve cover gaskets couple months ago as it was dripping oil onto exhaust manifold, but that's sorted now so can't be that (I hope :D ).

yeah that could be the vanos gasket (Vanos unit to head) that's the issue perhaps.

I have a new vanos seal kit I can sell you (I ordered an extra one as it was taking too long to arrive).

But you will still need a new vanos gasket and the 2 washers for the vanos oil line (about $10 on ebay all up).

Second box of toys have arrived.

14957556204_df9ee5177a_b.jpg

• Like 1

Turns out i ordered the wrong grills, doh. Will just buy some oem ones now and paint them. And then probably sell these ones after i figure out which model they are for.. :)

They look like e60 grills to me....

Agreed... Looks like they've sent you the wrong ones. Bugger.

Agreed... Looks like they've sent you the wrong ones. Bugger.

Yeah, looks like e60. Meh. :(

I'll grab some oem ones tomorrow. Thinking of plasti dipping them - do I need to sand them prior to plasti dipping or can I just plasti dip directly on top of the chrome? Assuming it will need at least a few coatings of plasti dip on the chrome.

Don't sand. Then you can peel the plasti dip off... Because you will. Rubberised grilles look naff. Just get ECS to replace the ones they sent with the ones you ordered!!

Don't sand. Then you can peel the plasti dip off... Because you will. Rubberised grilles look naff. Just get ECS to replace the ones they sent with the ones you ordered!!

Hmm yea. Although I've definitely seen some dipped grills that look alright.

Nevertheless, have ordered some e39 blackout grilles - triple checked that it was e39. :) Also ordered vanos sealing gasket and an afe drop in air filter (only cause I've been intrigued on what sound differences it might make if any.. they were pretty cheap anyway).

Oh and it turns out the grilles ECS sent me are e84 grills. Wonder what the chances of selling e84 grilles are heh.

Anyway, hopefully parts should arrive by end of week. Car repair is still in progress @ Prima meanwhile.

lmao @ e84 grilles...

i very much doubt you will have any luck trying to on sell them haha.. are they taking it back?

(imo plastidipped grills look okay, but i would personally choose to paint them gloss or satin black)

lmao @ e84 grilles...

i very much doubt you will have any luck trying to on sell them haha.. are they taking it back?

(imo plastidipped grills look okay, but i would personally choose to paint them gloss or satin black)

Nope, turns out somehow it was my fault (I checked my order history and it looks like it was). I have no idea how i managed to select e84 grilles while looking for e39 parts lol.

Yeah was thinking about painting - that would require sanding the chrome off though i'd assume. Ordered the gloss black ones anyway, and judging by the quality of these e84 ones, they should look pretty sweet assuming they make a decent fit.

You won't have too much trouble selling the grilles. Just chuck them on trademe and leave them until an X1 one owner decides they want to make their roller skate stealth.