Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 530i tidy up + mods

Looking good man. Always a good feeling to have a completely fresh cooling system. Be keen so see what the tyres are like, my 540 still has the Nexens that I brought it with, only reason I havnt changed them is they were all new lol. I found the Falkens to be awsome on these cars

• Like 1

Which Nexens are they? Apparently Porsche are using Nexen tyres now on some new cars, though not sure which ones.

Had an awesome drive this weekend at the Coromandel peninsula, but had some Murphy's law moments prior to my trip start on Friday.

• The only hose I didn't replace on my cooling system decided to leak the day before (Thursday). I only found it by chance as my coolant level dropped a little bit overnight. It was the water hose that connects radiator to expansion tank, goes above the shroud. The hose clamp for some reason cut into the hose, causing it to leak. Luckily BM workshop was still open at the time so I managed to source a new replacement and fix that.
  • Friday morning, CD changer decides to die. I had no intention of driving to Coromandel in silence so picked up a used one from Brent (BM World), an hour before heading out.

I'm going to get a Dension Gateway 300 installed in the near future so I can use my ipod, usb etc.

Anyway, this was the route I took for the trip: https://goo.gl/maps/5lyyb

Awesome drive, I'd definitely recommend it. Also, the S001's handled awesome the entire time. Managed to test it on dry, wet and even gravel roads and they feel great. Grips very well during corners, quiet on the highways and behaved fine on gravel.

I stayed at Matarangi but went out to discover some nice roads and beaches while there. Here's one route I took on Black Jack Rd (to Opito Bay) that was really nice: https://goo.gl/maps/LLFKE

Note that a lot of that route is gravel, steep, narrow and high up on the cliff side.

Here's a photo of Otama beach, which you drive past on that Black Jack rd route:

16686596881_fb5dbeefd5_b.jpg

16068013573_a707d9d3ab_b.jpg

Edited by Arma
  • Like 2

Think i saw you heading back on sunday arvo. Girlfriend actually pointed out your car! Was also staying in Matarangi

• Like 1

Think i saw you heading back on sunday arvo. Girlfriend actually pointed out your car! Was also staying in Matarangi

Oh! haha, small world. Yeah I go there to the bach a few times a year.

Was staying at a family member's bach at Otama beach just this week. Funny!

• Like 1

Was staying at a family member's bach at Otama beach just this week. Funny!

You guys are all stalking me

• Like 1

Noticed that over the week my coolant level dropped slightly (~1-2cm on the bob). The previous few weeks there have been no signs of the level dropping or anything - even after my trip to Coromandel and back. Which worries me a little as I've replaced majority of the cooling system, so not sure where it could be leaking now. Can't see any signs of leak after an initial look, but might have a better look tonight. Hopefully not another fault part or anything - have had to replace water pump twice in 2 yrs.

Other bad news: parked at a decline angled parking spot near work, causing my front bumper to slightly scratch the curb (UUUUUUUUUURGHHH). This will bother me for the rest of the year. Need to find some touch up paint to cover it up, it's an eye sore:

16843102416_18b4390cf6_b.jpg

Congratulations on your work. Very professional. Good on you.

• Like 1

Saw this the other day for the first time in quiiiiiite awhile - Adeeb has done an awesome job with it!

• Like 1

Saw this the other day for the first time in quiiiiiite awhile - Adeeb has done an awesome job with it!

Thanks Tristan!

• Like 1

Haven't posted here in a while! Got a few things planned for the near future:

• Replacing the gearbox this week (previous one's torque converter is stuffed / internal wear - 5th gear slips and sometimes puts car into limp mode). Considered a manual conversion, but decided against that for now and sticking to slushbox! My current trans has brand new filter and gasket, so hopefully can re-use that with some new oil in the replacement box. Who knows.. maybe I'll change my mind in the next couple of days and decide to go manual again.
  • The plan is to take the car in for the gearbox job this Wednesday, hopefully will get sorted in a couple days. I've got a new guibo sitting at home, so might chuck that in for the job as well - been meaning to put that in for a while.
  • Need to replace my handbrake shoes - was too scared to DIY last time and just did the rotors and pads. I already got the new shoes sitting at home gathering dust
  • My pulleys might need to be replaced - at least the idler pulley, the others seem to be ok but I wanna refresh the pulley system anyway (my belts have already been replaced with new ones few months ago).
  • I'd like to repair all curb marks from the wheels - not sure how much this costs per wheel? I just want to machine the lips for each wheel and get rid of curb marks - don't really want repainting for now.
Edited by Arma

I hope you spoke to Harold Adeeb :D

• Like 1

Just realized I have some brand new black e84 grills sitting around, back from when I mistakenly ordered them last year. I should look for people who want to pimp out their X1.

Due to me wanting to do a manual conversion later on next year, I've decided to swap my current trans out with one from a 2004 330i, with 97000kms. It was more cost effective for the [somewhat] short term. My current trans was pretty much stuffed, rather than the torque converter. Have taken it for a long drive and the new box seems to run well. Only difference I've noticed is it takes maybe 0.5 seconds longer to switch from reverse to gear, or gear to reverse. Let's hope this lasts me a year or preferably longer. :-) I have been thinking of changing the diff in the car, with a higher ratio, but not sure of the downsides of this - need to get some advice. I believe it currently has a 3.46.

Other things being done:

I got fed up of the CD changer constantly skipping (I've changed it 3 times now with used ones) and the sound quality out of the stock sound system so have decided to have a high quality alpine head-unit installed. Will make sure this is reversible so that I can put the stock system back in if I want to sell the car in the future. The new unit will provide all the usual and then some: USB, ipod, bluetooth, android/iphone integration, works with pandora, can relay facebook notifications etc., and about 100% better sound quality, especially with my current dual subwoofer/amp setup. Hoping to complete that by tomorrow.

no point doing diff until or with out thought towards confirming the manual swap. you dont want to change it twice.

• Like 1

Finished doing the head unit installation on Friday... and holy hell the sound quality improvement blew me away. Will miss the 16:9 screen but I get too many benefits with this new system to miss the old too much apart from appearance. Installed an Alpine CDE-164EBT unit. Bluetooth pairing with phone and all works awesome - had to dish out my old ipod classic and tested music playback with that and it works very well. Steering wheel controls etc. have all been set up to browse through music, control volume, answer calls. e.g. I can run spotify on the phone and control it with steering wheel. Tested it all during my drive to Ohakune on Fri and back on Sunday - the sound improvements make a big difference on the noisier roads. And I can finally control my soundstream sub levels properly (previous stock setup did not let me do so). An e39 fitting kit was put in so the headunit looks fairly flush with the rest of the console - will put up a photo or two soon.

• Like 1

Finished doing the head unit installation on Friday... and holy hell the sound quality improvement blew me away. Will miss the 16:9 screen but I get too many benefits with this new system to miss the old too much apart from appearance. Installed an Alpine CDE-164EBT unit. Bluetooth pairing with phone and all works awesome - had to dish out my old ipod classic and tested music playback with that and it works very well. Steering wheel controls etc. have all been set up to browse through music, control volume, answer calls. e.g. I can run spotify on the phone and control it with steering wheel. Tested it all during my drive to Ohakune on Fri and back on Sunday - the sound improvements make a big difference on the noisier roads. And I can finally control my soundstream sub levels properly (previous stock setup did not let me do so). An e39 fitting kit was put in so the headunit looks fairly flush with the rest of the console - will put up a photo or two soon.

I've been trawling these forums because when I saw your car on Sunday just north of Ohakune on Sunday I knew I had seen it before! Angel eyes looked very nice, stood out well. Funny to see a member in such a place. Good stuff

• Like 1

Be keen to see some photos of the headunit install, how much was it? Been thinking about replacing the business unit in mine or at least adding bluetooth in some way.

What you doing with the 16:9? For sale?

Be keen to see some photos of the headunit install, how much was it? Been thinking about replacing the business unit in mine or at least adding bluetooth in some way.

Will try to snap some photos soon. The head unit was about $350 and fitting mould/kit was $60. Had to get about $50 worth of wiring (rca's etc.) on top of that and interface for steering wheel controls ($100).

What you doing with the 16:9? For sale?

Just keeping it for now, in case I put it back in the future for whatever reason. Don't even know what they are worth.

• Like 1

I've been trawling these forums because when I saw your car on Sunday just north of Ohakune on Sunday I knew I had seen it before! Angel eyes looked very nice, stood out well. Funny to see a member in such a place. Good stuff

Haha small world! I do recall seeing an e30 that stood out on the way back, not too far from Ohakune.

• Like 1