Sign in to follow this  
twisted

Alfa 156

Currently looking for a 4kish runabout to replace our ageing commuter hack. I currently cover approx. 120km a day, so reliability (Alfa... HurHur!) and fuel efficiency are reasonable considerations.

I've always really liked the 156 shape, and having previously owned a 1.5 'Sud, I have quite a soft spot for the dark horse that is Alfa. I've got my eye on a nice Low K 2.0 Twin Spark Manual sedan that fits my budget. I know to stay away from Selespeeds.

Does anyone here have any experience with these cars? I know the common faults, and I know the Cam belts are a 60k change item, however I don't know what general part availability and servicing costs are like in this country. Anyone owned one?

Cheers

A guy I work with has a 156 sedan, manual too. Hasn't has a bad word to say except for the power windows causing a bit of grief. Wagons are way hotter but usually pricier :(

Dunno about parts availability or related costs though. As with anything Euro out of its warranty period it's probably best to do routine services yourself or face eye watering labour costs :)

Are you committed to maintenance? I hope so, cause it doesn't stop and get used to 'yeah just have to order that from Italy'.

a friend of mine had one, aparently the engine mounts are prone to fail earlier than a normal car especially if manual. but i guess you take what you hear with a grain of salt? I know he had trouble finding aftermarket wheels for it too, but that might be irrelevant to you.

only thing that ruins them is the compulsory front licence plate in NZ <_<

Whatever you do don't get a selespeed. It spent about 1 of the 3 months we had it on the side of the road or at the mechanics.

Hi Sam...

I'm a confirmed Alfaholic (you may have noticed the avatar) but unfortunately the 156 is a bit new for me...

There are quite a few Alfisti (including workshops) at your end of the island... Jump onto here http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/new-zealand-forum/ and I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to get answers to just about everything Alfa...

If I can help further, just let me know...

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Red Dwarf
  • Like 1

The cam belt and variator are the big ticket items. If mine had been manual I would have loved it; selespeed is a money pit with no upside

Having pulled most of the interior apart in mine, I can say the inside is a hell of alot better put together than the e46 and older 3 series models.

Apart from selespeed, cambelt and variator they're great. Italian something in Otahuhu Auckland is who I used for servicing. They had lots of parts availability too being Alfa wreckers.

Edited by rogan

This is my old one, was the 6 speed V6 and god damn it went like a cut cat and the sound it made was simply beautiful.

Posted Image

Would love another, especially this one, http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-607836148.htm

Had multiple issues in the couple of months i owned it, from dodgy coil packs, failed airflow meters and dead aircon, right up to serious rust in the floor. It also needed the rear suspension rebuilt and a new alternator just before i got it. When it was going it was devine, but otherwise it was a prick.

My advice? Get low KM with full history and NZ new. IIRC the cambelts on the TS engines are due every 60,000km or so, so make sure thats done as they are prone to failure.

I've owned a Selespeed one, the main problem with them is crap diagnosis... Agents just tell you "you need a new robot" which is most often crap. Pumps burn brushes, but you can replace them, (even though you're not supposed to) and the other common failure with them is the pressure accumulator. So don't be frightened by a Selespeed one, they're often a bargain!

Download FiatECUScan - Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ECU Reader / Scanner to your laptop, and get the appropriate leads to connect to the car. Worth their weight in uranium...

For parts contact Mal at Dino Enterprises, Cambridge. He's the man for Fiat and Alfa spares.

My opinion is that the 2 litre is a better balanced car than the V6. The V6 sounds great tho... Although if you can afford a GTA get that! 250hp is not to sneezed at...

If you're doing the belt, my advice is to do it all...

The balance shaft seals in the 2 litre fail, so look for leaks...

The upper front wishbones start to squeak when they're worn and they're an alloy arm, you're supposed to replace the whole wishbone, both sides...

They're really fun to drive...!

post-51295-0-74571400-1386927544.jpg

Edited by Rrascal

Have always had a soft spot for the wagon version of these. Just too chicken to seriously consider buying one. Wifey won't drive manual and the Selespeed has too poor a reputation. Though there is the odd wagon with the normal auto.......... mmmmmm, Pinafarina.......

avoid red cars. alfa is yet to find a red paint that doesnt fade.

v6 manual would be great otherwise a twinspark will have better efficiency.

i had no trouble getting new a and used parts for mine, there is plenty available from the uk at fair prices and fast shipping.

there are a couple of independants around that keep a fair amount of stock on hand of many parts.

i got an alfa manual gearbox input shaft bearing same day, and it was an alfa specific part.