Sign in to follow this  
Hi-Tek

People who have imported cars into NZ from the U.K

Hi guys,

As per the title, I'm bringing a 2013 Audi RS4 wagon into New Zealand from the U.K

I've brought a car in from Japan in the past but understand the documents required are different (or at least have different names/terms etc)

Obviously my concern is out-laying a lot of money (for me anyhow) for a car that when it arrives we don't have the correct paperwork to get it on the road legally.

At that point the U.K seller has all his (my) money and can't be ars*d helping at his end.

I know there's been the odd thread over the years but I'm keen to hear from someone that has actually done it and what the names are of the documents that are needed.

Obviously the seller in the U.K needs to fill out some paperwork at their end.

Feel free to PM me if it's easier.

Cheers.

i have no advice to offer, but surely its about time for a sticky on this topic???

Just about Andy, I've read all the threads.

My only concern is what happens if it arrives here and I can't register it because I don't have the right documents.

If the seller in the U.K can't be arsed helping at that point as he has his money then I'm screwed.

Isn't there a list of documentation requirements on the NZTA website? If not, there was someone on here that's done it a few times - just can't put my finger on who it was.

^

There's bits and pieces, but nothing I can find that lays it all out.

What I'm hoping to find is someone on here that can say this is what you need.....

- Sale Invoice

- Original Deregistration documents

- Bill of Lading

- Quarantine Documents

- Pre delivery inspection report (done by dealer/seller)

Just trying to remember who it was that had done this - someone in the South Island (Kaikoura?) that had an E60 M5. I think he had used these guys. Sorry, not much help without a name I know (I want to say his name was Allan, but could be well off base).

Just trying to remember who it was that had done this - someone in the South Island (Kaikoura?) that had an E60 M5. I think he had used these guys. Sorry, not much help without a name I know (I want to say his name was Allan, but could be well off base).

Is it Ron you are thinkin of? Cant remember is handle sorry.

Is it Ron you are thinkin of? Cant remember is handle sorry.

Yeah - that sounds like it. Allan wasn't far off :blink:

Edit: And Rangiora is a suburb of Kaikoura isn't it?"...

Edited by elmarco

I suppose I should chime in :)

Process is simple and feel free to PM if need anything else. I will post here to help others that may be viewing too.

Once you have the car sorted, you will need a shipping company and McCullough http://www.mmnz.biz/ have done my work for me & others and they are good value. You will need a document to proove ownership - normally an invoice with letterhead covers you as you need to proove ownership and the fact it hasn't been stolen etc. McCullough will assist with this. From memory you will also need the UK registration papers commonly known as V5 document but again, McCullough will hold your hand there. That is it from the UK side. For my piece of mind, I paid the seller an additional 50 pounds and asked them to post in the mail to me anything loose in the car like service manual and all spare keys as they are expensive to replace if they turn up plus it gives you something to hold onto in bed till your baby arrives :)

OK, when it gets into NZ, you will need one document that is not required when you import from Japan. It is the 'Certificate of Compliance' which you will only get from Audi NZ. My Porsche cost $700 so expect that sort of cost. You need to provide them the VIN number and it takes about 3 weeks to get from Audi Germany so do it when the car is on the water or you will be waiting to register the car. At VTNZ, they will need the V5 document, the invoice and the 'Certificate of Compliance' to register the car onto the road.

Hope this helps and nice choice of car ... RS4 !!! :)

Ron

Edited by RvT

OK, when it gets into NZ, you will need one document that is not required when you import from Japan. It is the 'Certificate of Compliance' which you will only get from Audi NZ. My Porsche cost $700 so expect that sort of cost. You need to provide them the VIN number and it takes about 3 weeks to get from Audi Germany so do it when the car is on the water or you will be waiting to register the car. At VTNZ, they will need the V5 document, the invoice and the 'Certificate of Compliance' to register the car onto the road.

Statement of Compliance? You only need that if your car doesnt have a Type Approval Plate, which anything made in the last 15years should have.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/

Evidence of overall standards compliance

In many cases an EC whole vehicle approval plate/sticker or a suitable UN/ECE Approval plate/sticker affixed to your vehicle is acceptable evidence that your vehicle meets applicable standards in New Zealand. This proves your vehicle met the EC or UN/ECE standards when manufactured.

Before you import a European vehicle, it's wise to talk with an entry certifier to determine whether the EC or UN/ECE whole vehicle approval on your vehicle is acceptable.

No plate or sticker? You'll need to get a statement of compliance as evidence.

Statement of Compliance? You only need that if your car doesnt have a Type Approval Plate, which anything made in the last 15years should have.

If the car comes form Japan, then NZTA will not require it as they align themselves with the Japanese system for checking on emmission standards. Any car coming from Europe needs to proove that the individual car complies with the latest emmision standard and the only way you can do that is by having the Cert of Compliance as it states on the cert what emmision rating the car has ie Euro 4 or 5 etc. The approval plate doesn't state the emmision standard on it.

I've heard you can get a VAT refund if you buy and then export from the UK. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Would sweeten an already pretty sweet deal.

I've heard you can get a VAT refund if you buy and then export from the UK. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Would sweeten an already pretty sweet deal.

Of course, same as any product you buy from the Eurozone (or anywhere outside NZ), you dont pay foreign GST. Assume in the case of a car though, you would have to purchase it unregistered in its home country.

If the car comes form Japan, then NZTA will not require it as they align themselves with the Japanese system for checking on emmission standards. Any car coming from Europe needs to proove that the individual car complies with the latest emmision standard and the only way you can do that is by having the Cert of Compliance as it states on the cert what emmision rating the car has ie Euro 4 or 5 etc. The approval plate doesn't state the emmision standard on it.

But thats not what NZTA state though!?

Evidence of compliance with emission standards

For both used and parallel-imported new vehicles, acceptable proof your vehicle meets New Zealand requirements can be:

a suitable European Community (EC) whole vehicle approval plate/sticker

a suitable UN/ECE approval plate/sticker

a certificate of conformity or statement of compliance that includes an approved emission standard.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/...e.html#emission

Edited by kodachrome

so does it mean any dealer bringing in cars from euroland need to get a Cert of Compliance from bmw,audi..etc?

what if you bring a bmw in from japan? no need for a Cert of Compliance?

But thats not what NZTA state though!?

Most vehicles will only have a very general type plate, that is to say it doesn't cover everything to a sufficient level of detail to prove that each specific car complies with the requirements of NZ. For example the type plate on my 330d which I brought over from the UK only sates ECE14/1 - which is a very generic standard as this covers the whole of the car.

The certificate of compliance will list all the different aspects of the car and what standards they meet - so it will say "emissions comply to ECExx/y" ,etc. It is this level of detail that is required for compliance in NZ, hence the need for the certificate.

Not all cars need a CofC - only those that don't have a type plate that covers the certification to a high enough level, so no, dealers don't need to get a CofC for each car. Get the seller to send you a photo of the type plate, then take that photo to your local certification centre and talk to the compliance officer - he can tell you there and then if you need a CofC, plus it helps to build up a relationship with the guy for later on.

If you want to save yourself $700 get the seller to get the Cert for you - it will be free of charge in the UK, all it took was a phone call to BMW UK to get mine sent to my buyers house, only took 2 days to arrive as well!

V5, Invoice and CofC if required are basically all you need. You can get a fumigation (steam cleaning) cert from UK as well, but probably just as easy to get it when vehicle arrives here. Bill of lading, etc. are for the shippers and customs to worry about.