Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

E30 M3s in NZ

I am looking at what I need to rebuild my e30 M3 and I know its going to cost .......... The poor thing has had a fairly rough life and the tin worm has got into the usual European places

I am thinking what is a decent, not concours, M3 worth in NZ ? I don't want to spend loads if the end result is not reflected some where near its market value.

Or I am looking at the project back to front ?

Any ideas of a the value of a 2.3 standard M3 ?

Pics?

I'm no expert but have seen a number of e30 m3's on trademe etc. The poorer examples usually sit between 25-30K. Not sure on the better examples - they disappear too quickly :-)

Hi Andrew - at the end of the day it depends how much the car is worth to you What are trying to get out of it, how long will you keep it for. You can spend a lot of money on any project if you are chasing perfection - most of the time this will be in no relation to the actual market value. Perhaps get it road worthy first, have fun in it and then decide if you want to take it to the next level. - J

Depends on a few things: Spec - Euro or US? If it is Euro with the dog-leg box worth a few K more. Obviously which model - 195bhp or 215bhp and any mods, etc.

A solid, (not mint) with no issues vehicle, in standard specification with a couple of minor issues would struggle to sell for 25k, more likely 22 - 23k to actually sell.

For 25 - 30k you would be looking at a good all round condition with only a couple of cosmetic issues to sort.

With most restorations you will never get back anywhere near what it cost to carry out unfortunately unless it is a very rare car (Evo Sport for example), especially when the market is fairly stagnant as it is at the moment.

If you are seriously considering what to do with your car I am looking for a non-mint M3 to turn into a race car...

As one of a handful of people who has owned one on here I think you can start approaching $40,000 for a nice standard 2.3L example in LHD and with circa 100,000kms.

As above, 215HP is worth more than a 195, as is dogleg 1st.

I spent a sh!t load on mine and didn't really recoup much of that when I sold, get in touch if you want any help.

Its a Euro model with dogleg and 215hp, manufactured late 89.

Its got rust under the fuse box and may need an engine rebuild. Paint work tired. It is missing some smaller bits of trim inside. Apart from that it is non mint !

I'm all for you doing it up but if you are concerned about costs involved and trying to sell it after it all without loss or even a profit, then chances are you will have to cut costs somewhere. But otherwise pass it on to someone who can restore it to its former glory without shortcuts.

(i dont mean any offense with my comment, its just I dont want to see some half done up e30 m3, when its has such potential!)

all the best anyways! :)

I don't mind spending money but I am trying to gauge what it might cost - doing some research now - and what it might be worth at the end. I am not looking to make a profit because if you put you time in to the equation, it won't be profitable. However, I dont want a car that owes me 100K and is worth about 50K, for example.

^ totally understandable.

I think it really just comes down to passion and patience.. as well as how realistic this is. i mean it is going to take a LOT of time, effort and money of course, but in the end you get something amazing out of it.

I really do hope to see this come back to life one day, will keep an eye out :)

I don't mind spending money but I am trying to gauge what it might cost - doing some research now - and what it might be worth at the end. I am not looking to make a profit because if you put you time in to the equation, it won't be profitable. However, I dont want a car that owes me 100K and is worth about 50K, for example.

Hi Andrew

I have just finished a long resto on my Euro spec 86 M3. It was a mess cosmetically but ok mechanically i.e. I didn't have to rebuild the engine or gearbox. I did have diff and steering rack rebuilt by Kayne Barrie. Every suspension component was stripped and recoated, every bush and link replaced and so it went on. I'm too scared to total the cost and to be honest I don't care because the car is a keeper and will be driven at every opportunity I get. So far so good - they are an amazing piece of kit and just come alive when being driven hard as you probably know. Good luck with your car, I hope you restore it and enjoy it for years to come.

Depends on a few things: Spec - Euro or US? If it is Euro with the dog-leg box worth a few K more. Obviously which model - 195bhp or 215bhp and any mods, etc.

A solid, (not mint) with no issues vehicle, in standard specification with a couple of minor issues would struggle to sell for 25k, more likely 22 - 23k to actually sell.

For 25 - 30k you would be looking at a good all round condition with only a couple of cosmetic issues to sort.

With most restorations you will never get back anywhere near what it cost to carry out unfortunately unless it is a very rare car (Evo Sport for example), especially when the market is fairly stagnant as it is at the moment.

If you are seriously considering what to do with your car I am looking for a non-mint M3 to turn into a race car...

E30 M3 purchasers and owners seem to want the real deal, not the US spec (no dogleg, no fuel tank behind the rear seats) and the Jap spec (no dogleg).

The above cars seem to be worth somewhere between 20-30K.

The Euro spec cars seem to start at around 35K and go up from there.

I am looking at what I need to rebuild my e30 M3 and I know its going to cost .......... The poor thing has had a fairly rough life and the tin worm has got into the usual European places

I am thinking what is a decent, not concours, M3 worth in NZ ? I don't want to spend loads if the end result is not reflected some where near its market value.

Or I am looking at the project back to front ?

Any ideas of a the value of a 2.3 standard M3 ?

Rust? Is your car a UK import?

Rust in the rear quarter where the battery lives is one of the more common places, as is the scuttle (remove the plastic window wiper surrounds), and also make sure the drain from the scuttle (rubber elephant trunk) isn't blocked. If it is, when it rains water can get to a point where it can spill into the heater blower and run into the inside of the car through the firewall. (I hope my mash of words makes sense)

Its a Euro model, spent time in Germany, UK and Portugal in that order.

Rust - I have seen some really rusty examples. One M3 I saw as a rolling shell had fist sized holes in every wheelarch, sills that looked like some one had been doing target practice with a 12 bore, I could go on.

This example has proper rust under the fuse box, the battery area is okay, some around the rear number plate lights, some bottom of the doors. I haven't had a chance to get it on a hoist to really examine it.

From the comments here I think I need to do a costing on it, and go from there. If I did not want to take it on there appears to be enough interest to be able to sell to an enthusiast.

Handy enough.

I priced up an inner guard today - I love the description, its a wheelhouse. I did this over a year ago but now it is obsolete.

Correct, I need to price up a bare metal respray.

another thing the dealer did was explain the first item on the option list

Modellschriftzug entfall Deleted, model lettering

which is a debadge ! Except mine still has the M badge on the boot so maybe it has been put back on.

Handy enough.

I priced up an inner guard today - I love the description, its a wheelhouse. I did this over a year ago but now it is obsolete.

Correct, I need to price up a bare metal respray.

another thing the dealer did was explain the first item on the option list

Modellschriftzug entfall Deleted, model lettering

which is a debadge ! Except mine still has the M badge on the boot so maybe it has been put back on.

Inner guard? As in the plastic that sits above the wheel?

That is one factor to take into consideration on a re-build, any M3 specific parts will be expensive if not deleted. All the common with E30 parts should still be available new.

I know the rear screen and the rear roof extension are NLA, and hard to get hold of second hand even, but there are a number of M3 sites and forums where you can get the rarer parts, but again can be expensive.

If it is a labour of love and you would do the work -go for it and enjoy the project. Ignore the dollars, it will never stack up financially, but it is a passion not an investment.

Inner guard? As in the plastic that sits above the wheel?

No, large section of pic below

Posted Image

I wish I'd taken my own advice when I started on rebuilding a mini so hopefully can provide some insight.

The idea was to rebuild to a price , learn a bit about mechanics. To make a budget limit and to work within it.

Instead I've got carried away with possibilities and have put quite considerable amounts into acquiring parts, having body resprayed , building silly spec turbo engine etc. I'm at the point price wise where some of the trademe e36 M3' with cage would have been in my price range. Instead , I've got a way to go and at the end of the day I'll end up with a nice turbo'd mk1 mini.

Where I went wrong. I thought I could do the car for roughly $7-8 k

Engine and transmission owes me roughly $7k. It will make 130-170hp depending on boost , or about the same as a s/h $1200 jap 1300 turbo engine. :huh:

Brought a body for rare cooper s brakes .... $2k has become $6 painted as I'm using this shell

Add glass , rubbers , new lights , cooper chrome , drop fuel tank , wiring , cert the shell will be closer to $8.5 k

$2k for wheels and tyres , $1k for shocks / suspension mods ,

Seats will add another $1.5k and it goes on and on.

When finished it will more than likely be a car I'll keep for as log as I can drive.

The lost opportunity however has been the money that could have purchased something greater not to mention that the car isn't drivable yet.

Do the Maths and be realistic about time. I know a lot of people like myself that start projects with good intentions , but take years and $$$ to finish. Bitter sweet really. Do the $ & time sums on your M3 for resto, or just get the rust done and enjoy it for what it is.

Hi,

It is a hard one to price up usually a lot more work is revealed once it has been blasted, I would allow 15k for the repair and repaint of the shell this may not be enough to get it fully reassembled.

For the engine to restore it to factory new condition costs over 10k in parts depending on condition of items like crank & valves, factory pistons for mine were over 2.5k. Yes it can be done cheaper we all know someone who can do it cheaper but there are usually compromises.

Once the shell is painted most people will not bolt back on worn or "aged" parts, the prices of the rubber and plastic parts alone is enough to make your eyes water.

What you have to decide is if you are going to keep the car and if you do it up what standard you do it to, price wise a really good tidy up replacing worn parts and full restoration probably not a lot of difference. Prices of parts are not getting cheaper and some things are no longer available just making things harder.

May be you should look at it what it might be worth restored in 10-15 years time.

Dave.

If he E30 M3 is your dream car and you plan on keeping it forever, spend the money, if its not, sell it to someone like me who will do it properly!! Noting worse than a half arsed resto, it does no one any favors.

I think it would be safe to say you need 20k to restore a E30 M3.

I wish I'd taken my own advice when I started on rebuilding a mini so hopefully can provide some insight.

The idea was to rebuild to a price , learn a bit about mechanics. To make a budget limit and to work within it.

Do the Maths and be realistic about time. I know a lot of people like myself that start projects with good intentions , but take years and $$$ to finish. Bitter sweet really. Do the $ & time sums on your M3 for resto, or just get the rust done and enjoy it for what it is.

Basically because race car. I stopped counting what my race car owes me years ago and I know it would be around the amount needed to buy a very nice fast and versatile fully built Group-N EVO or STI.